5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blind spot alert unavailable

Mafioso970012

Reaction score
I’m having an issue with my 2019 ram 1500 Laramie 5.7 hemi.

About two months ago I got the ‘Blind spot alert unavailable’ when truck is turned to ‘run’ or vehicle turned on. A few seconds later the 8.4 screen shuts off, a/c and heat controls shut off, power seats stop working, no power locks and power windows (front only) stop working. Also, the defrost starts blowing heat full blast and can’t be shut off. I had to disconnect the blower because even in the winter I was roasting inside.

No factory warranty anymore so I bought a third party. Took it to two different shops and since it’s electrical they don’t even know where to begin. When truck is in “acc” everything works just fine.

To add insult to injury “Press Brake and Push Button to Start” is displayed on my dash all night and drains my battery. Jumping it every morning is getting old.

At this point I want to set this thing on fire. Any direction would be great.

MrMisk

Reaction score
too many possibilities on what it could be without a proper scan report on all modules

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What have you tried so far? Have you tried a new battery? Alternator? Recently have your windshield tinted? The BCM is on the driver side under the dash and what you're describing kinda sounds like the BCM is doing funky stuff. As said though, a good list of codes would help. Also, doesn't the shop get paid to fix the truck? Kinda their deal to start investigating.

Netrunner

Reaction score
Hi recently had the "Blind Sport Alert unavailable issue" which I got fixed last week. Turned out it was a corroded connection in the rear taillight.
Yesterday, I had the radio freeze when I started the truck. I shut it down and restarted, and then the radio stayed off. I drove it for a while, and when back home, tried to reset it using instructions I found one of the forums which did not work. During this time, you cannot change the HVAC settings as the radio is off. This morning, the radio turned on when I powered the truck... Just called my dealer and they claim that since I make short trips, the battery voltage may be low. He suggested I disconnect the battery if this happens again, and make a few longer trip, or recharge the battery. I will verify the voltage tonight and recharge if it's low.

Airman

Reaction score

About two months ago I got the ‘Blind spot alert unavailable’ when truck is turned to ‘run’ or vehicle turned on. A few seconds later the 8.4 screen shuts off, a/c and heat controls shut off, power seats stop working, no power locks and power windows (front only) stop working. Also, the defrost starts blowing heat full blast and can’t be shut off. I had to disconnect the blower because even in the winter I was roasting inside.

No factory warranty anymore so I bought a third party. Took it to two different shops and since it’s electrical they don’t even know where to begin. When truck is in “acc” everything works just fine.

To add insult to injury “Press Brake and Push Button to Start” is displayed on my dash all night and drains my battery. Jumping it every morning is getting old.

What did you do to fix it

slweir

Reaction score

slweir

Reaction score
Not sure if this will help you, but I have a 2020 RAM 1500 Laramie and a couple weeks ago I had the exact same experience. Took it into the dealership and they said there was moisture in the rear tail light assembly. The blind spot monitor is inside the taillight assembly and the water is causing the problem with the blind spot monitor. They are quoting me $1,700 to replace/repair, which seems insane for replacing a taillight assembly.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure if this will help you, but I have a 2020 RAM 1500 Laramie and a couple weeks ago I had the exact same experience. Took it into the dealership and they said there was moisture in the rear tail light assembly. The blind spot monitor is inside the taillight assembly and the water is causing the problem with the blind spot monitor. They are quoting me $1,700 to replace/repair, which seems insane for replacing a taillight assembly.
The Taillight alone with BSS is $1230 itself.

Malodave

kdallin

Reaction score

I have had the same problem the past several months. It started with a message that the right rear turn signal was out. The turn signal still worked. Then after a few months I had the message that the blind spot was not working and required service. I stopped at the dealer and was told to replace the right rear tail light assembly. $722. I still received the messages and other messages. The front windows would not go down and the heater was on full time. The right mirror would go in when i pushed the button and would not go out again. The rear camera came on the x display and stayed on. The radio screen would go blank. I took off the right rear tailight assembly, unplugged it, sprayed some electronic parts cleaner in the plug and plugged it back in. I haven't had a problem since. The plug must have had a bad connection.

Reaction score
I just had this same issue happen to me. Truck was showing right rear signal light not working. Started dinging on the dash about the blind spot not working. Radio goes off and heats in full blast. All the same symptoms. Took the light off and unplugged it to see if the problem resolved and it did. So I got electric parts cleaner and dielectric grease. Probably overkill. Problem has been fixed and everything works great again. It's shocking how poorly water and electricity work together. 🤓

Reaction score
Also not mentioned in my reply, there was visible corrosion in the plug and I could see water/moisture in the plug as well.

N7GZN

Reaction score
This problem is not unique to Ram, there's a ford tech on y-t that had a F150 platinum with the same issue, truck almost undrivable, leaky taillights damaged proximity sensors, and damaged wiring harnesses.. if I remember the bill was around $7k.
Catching the leak early is the key to preventing this catastrophe.

Reaction score
Well the problem came back and won't go away unless I unplug my right signal light. This makes no sense at all.

N7GZN

Reaction score
A damaged connection either at the harness or the passenger blind spot sensor may be disrupting the Canbus. Other devices on this network that may be affected are:

Audio amplifier
Central Vision Processing module
Comfort seat module
Comfort wheel module
Connected media center module
Display screen module (head unit)
Driver door module
External disk module (CD player)
HVAC
Integrated center stack
Left blind spot monitor
Memory seat module
Passenger door module
Power side step module
And of course the Right blind spot monitor.

Reaction score
I replaced the lights with recons cause one of them had moisture in them. Thought that was the issue but all these problems started happening before replacing the lights. The connector plug does look discolored from corrosion. Hoping the dealership in town with have an answer for me tomorrow. Might just see if I can get a new wire harness and install it myself.

Reaction score
How can I test it to see if there's a bad connection or possibly a ground fault I'm the plug?

N7GZN

Reaction score
.. or a damaged right blind spot monitor.
Carefully inspect the harness and the blind spot monitor. The blind spot monitor may be water damaged which cannot be seen.
If nothing is seen, you may have to schedule an appointment at the local Ram dealership, or an independent mechanic to troubleshoot further.

N7GZN

Reaction score
Visually inspect the harness and the BSM, the module may be water damaged.
Scheduling an appointment with Ram or another mechanic is in order; at least you can get the problem to repeat itself.

Reaction score
Visually inspect the harness and the BSM, the module may be water damaged.
Scheduling an appointment with Ram or another mechanic is in order; at least you can get the problem to repeat itself.
I tried removing the BSM from the light and plugged the light back in. Still has the issues. But the BSM module looks like it has discoloration around the pins in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/