5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BLDS In 2WD ??

1lowcab

Reaction score
My old Nissan Armada had what Nissan called ABLS (Anti Brake Limited Slip) and I was reading that our Rams have BLDS (Brake Lock Differential System).
On my Armada you could hear the ABS activate and modulate the power, it would also do it in 2wd. Does the Rams BLDS work the same way?

So far this winter I haven't heard the ABS activate while I have wheel spin in 2WD, my traction light does flash. I really haven't had it in 4hi, just 4Auto. Does the BLDS work in 2WD and in 4Auto?

So far this truck is a tank, we just had 6" of snow, I've left it in 4Auto and it gets around like dry pavement on the stock OE tires.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes... it's pretty much always on, pretty standard stability and traction control stuff. In 2WD I've had it kick in quite quickly, pull power, etc. However, in 4Hi I can do some pretty righteous donuts in snow covered parking lots... it lets you have some serious fun. I don't have 4Auto so I don't know if it behaves differently, though I would imagine it would act more like 2WD since it's function is to add stability and it sends torque to the rear wheels until it senses slip.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes... it's pretty much always on, pretty standard stability and traction control stuff. In 2WD I've had it kick in quite quickly, pull power, etc. However, in 4Hi I can do some pretty righteous donuts in snow covered parking lots... it lets you have some serious fun. I don't have 4Auto so I don't know if it behaves differently, though I would imagine it would act more like 2WD since it's function is to add stability and it sends torque to the rear wheels until it senses slip.
I see you have a Rebel; how much does traction control kick in in 4HI? Tradesman traction control is still about 60% active.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I see you have a Rebel; how much does traction control kick in in 4HI? Tradesman traction control is still about 60% active.
Define "active". I should reiterate somethings as well.

In 4Hi, with traction control on, it seems to engage behind the scenes without the light blinking on the dash... allowing for a moderate amount of slip... but you can feel "something" going on. If/When things get more slidey (a quick change in yaw angle) or there's a lot of spin, Traction/Stability clamps it all down. Had it happen repeatedly in Bangor, ME yesterday. I think the Tradesman and Rebel act exactly the same and agree with your assessment.

When you toggle traction control off, stability control is still on, but it allows a lot more sliding around and wheel spin... the light in the dash will blink furiously and snowy parking lot fun can be had. (after a good snow storm and clearing my driveway, I never take the kids in the truck to the parking lot of their school and make them squeal with excitement... nope... not me... never... can't prove it)

My understanding is, if you shift into 4Hi with the truck in Park and your foot on the brake, holding down the traction control button complete shuts off all driver aids. I've yet to try that out.

Lastly, 4Low completely remaps both traction and stability control for more off road desired out comes... i.e. it will be quick to employ brake torque vectoring to a spinning wheel at slow engine speeds but allow a lot of wheel spin at higher revs. I've experienced this on the beach in sand a few times and it works extremely well.

Last edited:

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score

My understanding is, if you shift into 4Hi with the truck in Park and your foot on the brake, holding down the traction control button complete shuts off all driver aids. I've yet to try that out.

Lastly, 4Low completely remaps both traction and stability control for more off road desired out comes... i.e. it will be quick to employ brake torque vectoring to a spinning wheel at slow engine speeds but allow a lot of wheel spin at higher revs. I've experienced this on the beach in sand a few times and it works extremely well.
We have got to start thread to document these "Easter egg" hidden gems. I've tried different things like this, but figured - "tradesman, whatever". I off road often. I'll have time tonight to try this. I really don't use 4LO with 8sp, 3.92 axle, and 395hp.😁

Can't ramcares get us the easter egg list? ;)

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yes hold down the tc button in 4high in park or drive while stopped and it turns everything off. But stability control turns back on around 25mph

4low automatically turns every thing off.

2wd you can only turn tc off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Am I waiting for the driver info center to say anything? How long; I've probably tried 10 secs.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As good a thread as any - a little birdy told me that the traction control off will still kill a 2wd powerbrake wheel spin right after shifting into 3rd gear. I don't remember if I, I mean the little birdy said the rear axle was locked, negating the BLDS.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also don't have Off Road pages in an ORG truck, as a Rebel, or larger screened truck might. Seems that was tied to a few of these quirks. Post warranty, Alpha, Tazer, or custom tune may help.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@ferraiolo1... looks like I was wrong. In your video you were in Drive and I thought you had to be in Park. I wonder if it's either/or and just at a complete stop?

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As good a thread as any - a little birdy told me that the traction control off will still kill a 2wd powerbrake wheel spin right after shifting into 3rd gear. I don't remember if I, I mean the little birdy said the rear axle was locked, negating the BLDS.

Correct. If you go to 2:55 you will hear it cut out even with tc off in 2wd

But in 4wd with tc and st off it lets you have more fun and doesn’t cut out when going side ways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread