5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blacked Out the Silver Bullet - Teaser

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Just a little teaser on my Limited (Silver Bullet)...

Started on Sunday with the wheels & emblems (Plasti-Dip). Around 6 coats of flat black and 2-3 coats of clear glossifier (about 4 cans of flat and 2 of clear).

Debadged yesterday (rear Limited & 4x4 badges, and lower trim on the sides). Today I finished blacking out the RAM badges on the front doors, and the exhaust tips.

Wanted to see how I would like the look, and it's amazing so far. I wasn't sure how the factory limited 22"s would look blacked out, but I am super happy with the end product, so I will have them powder-coated in a few weeks (I always dip them first just to ensure I like the outcome). I could leave them like this, but I want the metallized gloss black for these wheels. I will also need to order the front grill black RAM badge, as the plastic-dip didn't do so well on that location, but for a temp solution it works fine.

I will post pics of the finished product tomorrow.

Cheers,

IMG_3035.jpeg IMG_3048.jpeg IMG_3049.jpeg IMG_3050.jpeg IMG_3053.jpeg IMG_3054.jpeg IMG_3056.jpeg IMG_3094.jpeg IMG_3095.jpeg

Last edited:

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I was thinking about doing the same thing to my Silver Limited
Totally worth it. Fairly easy, but very tedious to get it perfect.
Done many vehicles the same way, and it really beats you up after a few hours, specially in the Texas heat. Glad it's over :)

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Exhaust tips:

Attachments

• IMG_3110.jpeg
    IMG_3110.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_3111.jpeg
    IMG_3111.jpeg
    136.9 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_3114.jpeg
    IMG_3114.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_3112.jpeg
    IMG_3112.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_3113.jpeg
    IMG_3113.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 160

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Looks great - this plasti-dip stuff seems pretty cool. How long does it last typically?
You should get a couple of years out of it or more.

A lot depends on location and lifestyle. If you hand wash, emblems can last a long time (automatic car washes are pretty harsh and the brushes will eventually strip the dip from them).
Wheels would be fine, unless you get a tire change where the machine could strip some on the edge. That being said, it's very forgiving and you can touch up when it flakes off.

Again, laying it thick is the key (very thin first coat, followed by several >4 coats to finish it off), this will ensure that you can peel it off easy if you decide to revert back to original.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online