5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blacked out exhaust tip question. Is this correct?

AlbertaRam

Reaction score
Hi all, checked a few threads and can’t seem to find the answer. Can anyone tell me if the black exhaust tip package I paid for on my new truck are black, or just black paint over chrome? I specifically asked for the black package when I bought the Truck in April and I noticed this yesterday when washing it. For some reason I thought it was black ceramic not paint.

Attachments

• 0EA84000-F518-4629-B0E8-35E5192CCD08.jpeg
    0EA84000-F518-4629-B0E8-35E5192CCD08.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 71
  • B154AF83-6F9D-4DC1-BB0A-42BCE5F6E90C.jpeg
    B154AF83-6F9D-4DC1-BB0A-42BCE5F6E90C.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 71

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
They don't do double work. It's a metal tip that is (i think) dipped in black paint...
They don't chrome plating it and then painting black.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Pretty sure it's just black paint. Doubt it's painted chrome. Other aftermarket black tips are black powder coat. Even carbon fiber tips were available for 4th gens.

What's black ceramic?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Pretty sure it's just black paint. Doubt it's painted chrome. Other aftermarket black tips are black powder coat. Even carbon fiber tips were available for 4th gens.

What's black ceramic?
You do NOT want powder coat...you want CERAMIC. Powder coating has a far lower temperature rating where ceramic will easily handle the heat of the exhaust. I bought ceramic coated tips for my 2021 :)

Skater

Reaction score
Mine look and feel like black chrome, not paint.

View attachment 78149 View attachment 78150 View attachment 78151
Is your exhaust system and undercarriage really that clean on a 2019 Ram, or are those photos of when your sled was new? If your Ram is that clean today, what is your secret? Please don't tell me elbow grease. I do not have that much elbow grease left in this old beat up body. Please tell me you found some special mix of chemicals that you spray under there and rinse it off to keep your Ram that clean.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Is your exhaust system and undercarriage really that clean on a 2019 Ram, or are those photos of when your sled was new? If your Ram is that clean today, what is your secret? Please don't tell me elbow grease. I do not have that much elbow grease left in this old beat up body. Please tell me you found some special mix of chemicals that you spray under there and rinse it off to keep your Ram that clean.
He's married to a 24 year old and that keeps him "young" and in shape.....

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Yep. My truck still looks like this today and sorry to brake this to you, but yeah, elbow grease on every wash.

Skater

Reaction score
Yeah... it helps to have a trophy wife... :ROFLMAO::LOL::p:oops:
So, I need to trade in the current wife for a new trophy model and that will keep me young? Notwithstanding I am happy for you knowing you have a trophy wife, like Toby Keith said, "I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was." Therefore, I do not think I could keep her beyond one night, so I will remain content to have a little dirt under my hood and the current model. ;)

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Pretty sure it's just black paint over chrome.
You do NOT want powder coat...you want CERAMIC. Powder coating has a far lower temperature rating where ceramic will easily handle the heat of the exhaust. I bought ceramic coated tips for my 2021 :)
Yup, my mistake. Black ceramic. For some reason I was thinking these were powder coated...

Users who are viewing this thread