5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is it common to get black soot on your exhaust tips? Or is this a sign of an issue?

I installed a corsa cat back on my 2019 ram a few months back and never noticed anything until pass two weeks? Now it appears I always have a nice layer of black soot.

last weekend I even cleaned and polished the tips and after 2 days of driving it’s back.

Not sure it matters but I only use 93 octane
Most modern gasoline engines create a lot of soot, in particular GDI engines (gasoline direct injection). My wife's Mini does the same thing - soots up the exhaust tip in a short time after cleaning.
Ironically, in terms of soot, modern diesels emit far less than modern gas engines. NOx & CO2 is another story, but in terms of soot, modern diesels are actually cleaner. There are those that predict that eventually all gasoline engines sold will have particulate filer systems, just as diesels have had DPF systems for a number of years.

Users who are viewing this thread