5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black lug nuts

U

User_3336

With 1 silver wheel lock, still gonna seem a little odd looking. 4 black 1 lock

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So my 20 Laramie night with 22's is coming. Have heard some choices aren't great. Which are the best possible black lugs?

Not 100% sure on your lug nut size but my Rebel has 21mm size lug nuts. I got 2 packs of these.

Wsmith

Reaction score
I went the cheap way and just put silicone covers over the stock nuts, cost me like $5.
I know this is an old post, hope your still on, but I went cheap and did the same thing. After one month nine of them have split, how are yours holding up.

canative

Reaction score
You get what you pay for. Spend the extra $$ and buy some black Gorilla's. Get all 24 locking lugs.

Bwsteg

Reaction score
I ordered the mopar black lugs for my 22” Laramie night edition wheels. Nothing beats OEM.

Grouper

Reaction score
I had the stock wheels on my Silverado powder coated black years ago. The stock lug nuts are these simple open end design with exterior threads.

I bought this set of black plastic caps that thread onto the lugs. The have been 100% reliable and goof proof through the years. None have cracked, dislodged or discolored.

Might not be everyone's cup of tea but they have looked and functioned perfectly for years. I don't know for sure but I assume a similar setup would work with black Ram wheels.

Last edited:

Wsmith

Reaction score
I had the stock wheels on my Silverado powder coated black years ago. The stock lug nuts are these simple open end lug design with exterior threads.

I bought this set of black plastic caps that thread onto the lugs. The have been 100% reliable and goof proof through the years. None have cracked, dislodged or discolored.

Might not be everyone's cup of tea but they have looked and functioned perfectly for years. I don't know for sure but I assume a similar setup would work with black Ram wheels.
Them look a little beefier than the covers I bought that split. I just decided to buy lug nuts, went with McGard. I don't want the impact at the dealer marring them so I will need to remove them and put the chrome ones on before each service. Should only take a couple of beers each 6,500 miles.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have been happy with these so far. :cool:

ColorLugs™ LugCaps are flexible, durable and form-fitting vinyl lug nut covers.

Color_Lugs_Black_After.png
Passenger_Side_Color_Lugs.png

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I know this is an old post, hope your still on, but I went cheap and did the same thing. After one month nine of them have split, how are yours holding up.

Still holding up with the original ones. I did get 2-20 packs so I would have spares. Now I do take them off in the winter as you really can't see them when the snow and ice is caked onto the rim.

Wsmith

Reaction score
Still holding up with the original ones. I did get 2-20 packs so I would have spares. Now I do take them off in the winter as you really can't see them when the snow and ice is caked onto the rim.
Thanks, I replaced mine with lug nuts. When I removed them, 100% were split, some just starting some completely. Oh well, all set now. Thanks again for the reply.

BilletLaramie57

Reaction score
We sell the Mcgard lug nuts here. One piece design is what is needed in upstate NY with the salt usage. Factory capped lug nuts go to sh!t in about 2 years sometimes depending on how often they are removed and hit with an impact gun.

64074 - is the part number for the black ones

64073 - is the part number for the chrome ones.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered the mopar black lugs for my 22” Laramie night edition wheels. Nothing beats OEM.
We sell the Mcgard lug nuts here. One piece design is what is needed in upstate NY with the salt usage. Factory capped lug nuts go to sh!t in about 2 years sometimes depending on how often they are removed and hit with an impact gun.
64074 - is the part number for the black ones
64073 - is the part number for the chrome ones.

Unfortunately, the OEM lugs will eventually swell and come apart given a few years, as BilletLaramie57 stated.
The ones I had swell usually last longer than two years (last OEM set lasted about 3-4 years before swelling). Luckily for me, we went up 1mm in wrench size and were still get the lugs off.

My last set of Gorilla lugs lasted four years and still looked great when I traded the truck in with them. If my current ones ever have issues, McGard is my next set. McGard you'll read about in various forums as being the most expensive, but 99% of the time the best.

Users who are viewing this thread