5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black Lug Nuts

JaylonW

Reaction score
I love my Night Edition....but every freaking thing is black except the lug nuts.... anyone know where I can purchase black ones?

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
McGard is a highly-rated company for lug nuts. Expensive, but great quality.

Personally, I bought a set of ColorLugs from Amazon. Can't tell they're there and cost a quarter the price.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thats a really good price for 24 lugs, especially since many have them and report decent reviews. I may have to get a set and take off my colorlugs now.
Scroll through the reviews with images. Lots of complaints about rust in just a few months. Probably not a big deal if you don't live in a snowy climate.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thats a really good price for 24 lugs, especially since many have them and report decent reviews. I may have to get a set and take off my colorlugs now.
I might have to do the same

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i went with McGard, yes expensive but also quality. I believe they make lugs for many auto manufactures, RAM included. The MOPAR locking lugs MD put on my truck must of been made by McGard. There are instructions, if you need a replacement key, to send the serial number to McGard for replacement.

Ram-a-Kin

Reaction score
I went with McGard, yes expensive but also quality. I believe they make lugs for many auto manufactures, RAM included. The MOPAR locking lugs MD put on my truck must of been made by McGard. There are instructions, if you need a replacement key, to send the serial number to McGard for replacement.
GeorgiaBoy I just got these McGards but they are small in diameter than the OEMs and therefore you see a silver ring around the bottom of the lug on the wheel Which I do not like. Black Cone Seat Wheel Installation Kit for 6 Lug Vehicles (M14 x 1.5 Thread Size); Set of 20 Lug Nuts, 4 Wheel Locks, 1 Key & 1 Key Storage Pouch – McGard

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
GeorgiaBoy I just got these McGards but they are small in diameter than the OEMs and therefore you see a silver ring around the bottom of the lug on the wheel Which I do not like. Black Cone Seat Wheel Installation Kit for 6 Lug Vehicles (M14 x 1.5 Thread Size); Set of 20 Lug Nuts, 4 Wheel Locks, 1 Key & 1 Key Storage Pouch – McGard
These are the ones I got from Summit Racing. I don’t see any silver, the entire lug is black and the wheels are night edition Limited 22’s

McGard 84640 - McGard Lug Nut Installation Kits
spacer.gif
MCG-84640
Lug Nuts, Conical, Standard and Locking, Stainless, Black Chrome, 14mm x 1.50 RH Thread, Set of 24
(Mfr. #: 84640)​

Ram-a-Kin

Reaction score
These are the ones I got from Summit Racing. I don’t see any silver, the entire lug is black and the wheels are night edition Limited 22’s

McGard 84640 - McGard Lug Nut Installation Kits
spacer.gif
MCG-84640
Lug Nuts, Conical, Standard and Locking, Stainless, Black Chrome, 14mm x 1.50 RH Thread, Set of 24
(Mfr. #: 84640)​
That is the same set I have and I have the night edition Limited 22 wheels as well. If you look at these pictures, you can see the silver ring with the lug off and still see it with the black lug on because this lug is narrower then the chrome OEM lug.

Attachments

• 805B06E1-A51B-42A4-9CD3-8C3510CD7FF7.jpeg
    805B06E1-A51B-42A4-9CD3-8C3510CD7FF7.jpeg
    187.9 KB · Views: 84
  • A9FB6747-C033-4CF4-B9F4-4C5B6F6742EA.jpeg
    A9FB6747-C033-4CF4-B9F4-4C5B6F6742EA.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 57F6822F-B615-43A1-AEDB-C3FD5E715E74.jpeg
    57F6822F-B615-43A1-AEDB-C3FD5E715E74.jpeg
    172.2 KB · Views: 97

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is the same set I have and I have the night edition Limited 22 wheels as well. If you look at these pictures, you can see the silver ring with the lug off and still see it with the black lug on because this lug is narrower then the chrome OEM lug.
I’ll double check mine when I get home.

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ll double check mine when I get home.
@Ram-a-Kin you are exactly right! I guess I didn't notice it when I swapped them out since they were below eye level. The silver being exposed doesn't really bother me since you have to look deep into the socket to even see it. But what may be a problem is the way they are seated!! I swapped out the lugs one at a time with the tire on the ground. Look at the pics, the first one shows it clearer.....thoughts?? (and please excuse the filthy wheels!)

IMG_0523.jpg IMG_0522.jpg

Ram-a-Kin

Reaction score
@GeorgiaBoy yes I did not like how they were seated either as there are gaps that I feel could allow dirt and water in there. I don’t know how McGard thinks these lugs are appropriate for the 1500. Looks like I will be putting them up for sale here ☺️

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Ram-a-Kin you are exactly right! I guess I didn't notice it when I swapped them out since they were below eye level. The silver being exposed doesn't really bother me since you have to look deep into the socket to even see it. But what may be a problem is the way they are seated!! I swapped out the lugs one at a time with the tire on the ground. Look at the pics, the first one shows it clearer.....thoughts?? (and please excuse the filthy wheels!)

View attachment 134377 View attachment 134378
I think they made another style that fits better. Not an exact comparison but for our Wrangler I had to look around a bit to make sure I got the right ones. Some seemed made for aftermarket wheels which generally were taller and skinner, kinda like what you have here. The ones I ended up getting were more like the OEM style that were shorter with the bulge at the bottom. These do not look like they fit well at all. Seems they hold ok and dont mark up the wheel?

EDIT: These look more like the OEM and may fit cleaner

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think they made another style that fits better. Not an exact comparison but for our Wrangler I had to look around a bit to make sure I got the right ones. Some seemed made for aftermarket wheels which generally were taller and skinner, kinda like what you have here. The ones I ended up getting were more like the OEM style that were shorter with the bulge at the bottom. These do not look like they fit well at all. Seems they hold ok and dont mark up the wheel?

EDIT: These look more like the OEM and may fit cleaner
Why pay over $100 when you can pay $40 and get the same lug nuts???

Users who are viewing this thread