5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black Appearance NOT black?

ABuchho

Reaction score
Hey everyone, not sure if I'm crazy, but was looking at my truck and the black appearance bumper appear to not be black like the rest of the truck? Anyone else notice this? (I know it's dirty, but not different color dirty) 20210112_200827.jpg 20210112_200812.jpg

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mine is black and matches.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ok, a little discussion on bumpers and paint matches...in the auto industry, this is sort of a long running issue. See, the bumpers first of all are a different material usually,(plastic), than the rest of the vehicle, and they get painted separately. Sometimes they are a dead match, other times they aren't. The more expensive auto's are usually pretty good, as they pay more attention to getting a match. The other thing is, sometimes, more often than you would think, bumpers get scratched during delivery to dealer, on test rides, or just moving around the lot...when that happens, dealers often send the veh to a local body shop, and then it's a crap shoot if it comes back matched. Check your bumper real close with a fluorescent or led type light..I mean REAL close like an inch from the bumper...see if you can see any sanding evidence through the paint, that'll tell you that it was re-painted.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
This actually brings up a question I have been wondering about. RAM trucks that are "black" are actually "Diamond Black Crystal Pearl" which is not straight up black and has some metal flake. Do the Night Edition and Black Edition components get painted straight black or Diamond Black Crystal Pearl?

Sherran

Reaction score
Mine also does not match - slightly brown looking. I can only tell the difference if I shine a light on it, though.

I have night edition w/ Diamond Black Crystal

BNeal

Reaction score
That would really bum me out. How long have you had the truck? I think I would at least point this out to the dealer.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
There was another thread about this a few months ago. Not sure how that was resolved, but I recommend taking it in to have it corrected if it bothers you. The paint on my wife's 2020 Limited (also with the Black Appearance Package) all matches well. The only issue we had with it was the stock BAP wheels aren't the same black as the rest of the truck.

ABuchho

Reaction score
That would really bum me out. How long have you had the truck? I think I would at least point this out to the dealer.
Had it for 4 months - but now it's all I see. Planning to take to the dealer this week.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mine is Diamond Black Crystal Pearl and it matches.
I don't see why a night edition would be any different as the only difference on the body are the headlights, badges and the window trim.
Paint should be done the same way
20200906_131809.jpg

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Mine is Diamond Black Crystal Pearl and it matches.
I don't see why a night edition would be any different as the only difference on the body are the headlights, badges and the window trim.
Paint should be done the same way
View attachment 79434
The grille is also black on the BAP versions. But you're right, there shouldn't be a difference based on model or options for the problem the OP has. And based on what OldMarine posted, could affect any color truck.

fsjosh

Reaction score
I think the good luck part comes down to is the dealer or someone who has to approve it saying "if it's that big of a deal, why did it take 4 months to notice it?"

That being said, I'd want it fixed too if I noticed it.

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
This actually brings up a question I have been wondering about. RAM trucks that are "black" are actually "Diamond Black Crystal Pearl" which is not straight up black and has some metal flake. Do the Night Edition and Black Edition components get painted straight black or Diamond Black Crystal Pearl?

I have the Night Edition and my grille area and the trim pieces above the headlights are all diamond black crystal pearl.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey everyone, not sure if I'm crazy, but was looking at my truck and the black appearance bumper appear to not be black like the rest of the truck? Anyone else notice this? (I know it's dirty, but not different color dirty) View attachment 79371 View attachment 79372
I would agree with those that think this is a paint tolerance issue due to the use of a flex agent or other manufacturing problems, except that I have never seen one so far off from rendering. If I had to bet money I would guess it was damaged after delivery to a dealer. In New York a dealer is suppose to disclose to the buyer of such a repair in order to be sold as new. I also think there's a factory notice for FCA products in case of future warrantee paint claims.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045223 miles.

soSincerious

Reaction score
Plastic bumpers and metal body will never match, at least not on everyday cars like the trucks we drive. I work for Lexus and they're fanatics about everything they do, their paintwork is no exception. Their bumpers don't match either.

Users who are viewing this thread