5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bizzar Thread

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So each day I see threads on here about how awful people's Ram trucks are. More time in the shop than on the road, breaks down at least daily, never will own one again etc. Terrible problems like the door chime going off when you don't have your seat belt on. The phone charger not charging fast enough. Not being able to text while driving, the real deal breaker....

Well, I have to say, I have a '21 that I put 38k hard miles on now. It has not been to the dealer once. Body shop thanks to a deer, local shop for oil changes and lift kit, but that is it. I guess I did blow the rear door speaker but heavy bass at max volume does this. I do hear wind at the door seal too. Not enough to do anything about it though.

I guess I got one of the rare millions that is Ok.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mine has been to dealer four times. Twice for leaking valve cover, once for dead battery, and once for CEL that was probably user error from Pulsar.

BowDown

Reaction score
So each day I see threads on here about how awful people's Ram trucks are. More time in the shop than on the road, breaks down at least daily, never will own one again etc. Terrible problems like the door chime going off when you don't have your seat belt on. The phone charger not charging fast enough. Not being able to text while driving, the real deal breaker....

Well, I have to say, I have a '21 that I put 38k hard miles on now. It has not been to the dealer once. Body shop thanks to a deer, local shop for oil changes and lift kit, but that is it. I guess I did blow the rear door speaker but heavy bass at max volume does this. I do hear wind at the door seal too. Not enough to do anything about it though.

You and me both although I did need to go into service for cracked exhaust manifolds and AC TSB. Aside from that, the truck has been perfect and with it being 3 years old, the newness hasn't worn off and I'm still happy to drive it.

Had I not driven a 22 Lonestar loaner, I wouldn't have messed with the AC but that was a worthwhile fix.
I'll add this also, I read post after post of poor service from dealerships and I experienced that my self at Frisco Dodge until the shop foreman stepped in and corrected the service writer and resolved my issue.
With that said, Huffines Dodge Service in Plano is stellar. Replaced the exhaust manifolds in one day and did the AC TSB the next day and AC is cold AF so credit them for great service.

2020 bought in July of 2020, built in Oct 2019, sat on a dealer lot for 9 months and now has 62K trouble free miles thus far

Last edited:

Dewey

Reaction score
I bought a 2013 Laramie new. Sold with 110,000 miles over 4 1/2 years. Never was in the shop except for basic recalls. No other issues or warranty work.

Next ordered a 2017 Laramie. Sold with 122,000 miles over 5 years. Never was in the shop except once for software updates due to a couple recalls. No other issues or warranty work.

Currently have a 2022 BackCountry I ordered last spring. Currently have 27,000 miles in with zero issues. Never been in the shop. There are two open recalls I haven’t had taken care of yet. (Reverse cam and tailgate)

Over 250,000 miles and zero issues. Either I’m one lucky SOB or RAM makes some pretty darn good trucks. I have no complaints. Knock On Wood.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
* I had to seal holes under my windshield near the a pillar because the dealership "didn't hear a noise", and it's still noisy.
* I had to adjust the insides of my MFT and add 6 washers so that the driver side would stay open and not violently come and hit you in the back (really really hard if I might add) as the dealership said they never worked on MFT and didn't know how it worked.
* I had to adjust the passenger side MFT as it was scraping the paint of the quarter panel above the taillight.
* My rear license plate hits my tailgate when it drops and scratches the paint (not through the clearcoat yet) but not sure what I can do as there are already holes in the rear bumper I guess slightly too high for the place.
* My driver side rear door speakers grill is dented in because the metal they use is thin and cheap as hell and I can't bend it back out as it's dented in several spots and need to take apart the entire door, no thanks.
* The passenger side front (small) speaker grill was damaged\scraped from the factory when I picked it up from MD. Unable to get it replaced as it's part of the entire door and no local dealership would approve the repair despite it being like that day 1 with picture proof. I gave up on it.
* I have a screw and rubber cap from somewhere in my back seats that I have no idea where it goes that was sitting there when I picked the truck up.
* The leather on my rear center console is very loose, and no idea why. As far as I know Ram doesn't assist with cosmetic problems and it's always a problem at ANY dealership I go to so I just keep it up so I don't need to see it's grandma skin looking self.
* Front bumper gets chips all over it everytime it's driven so the point I believe there's the paint on the bumper is my daughters nail polish and not automotive grade.

All that said I feel like these are mostly pretty minor.

When I bought my 18 Silverado I needed a new tailgate as the one from the factory didn't fit properly. They gave me one off the lot and then no problems until the 4 year mark and 42k miles and the transfer case was having problems, it was rebuilt but still not good (because the dealerships for Chevy suck) so I dumped the truck as I didn't want to get stuck with the 4k+ repair when it finally went outside of warranty. No other problems or any QC problems like the Ram.

Unfortunately the dealerships for Ram such just as bad as Chevy as I am finding out.
Only good ones anywhere near me as far as service quality is concerned are Kia and Infiniti, neither brand I want anything they make anymore.

HemiDude

Reaction score
Can I join your bizarre club, Whiskey? 1 year+ into ownership of my '22, it's been one of the best quality vehicles I've owned. I don't take my vehicles to dealers for anything unless I can't complete it myself, but I haven't had any issues to address.

Heck, even with the two "major" issues my '20 had (leaking rear window, sub-par a/c), which I fixed myself, it was a super truck.

There's no denying that some new vehicles have problems, and Ram is not immune, but those are really in the minority. Like you said, "one of the rare millions that is Ok"

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score

You sure you weren’t on the F150 forums? 😉

My trucks been great. I had the AC TSB done, and some softwares updated. The other issue was the USB hub not working when hot outside, and I think I fixed it.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bought mine June 2021. The only time I brought it back to the dealership that I bought it from (20miles away) is when they replaced the rear bumper because there was a huge dent/damage. Dropped it off Friday and picked it up Monday. They gave a loaner, Jeep Compass Limited in bright red.

There's a dealership 1.5miles away that I go for oil changes/tire rotation. Currently I'm at almost 22k miles. So far so good (y)

John Jensen

Reaction score
Bought my 2016 new and have only been to the dealer for recall, etc. issues. All dealer visits have been excellent experiences. I do all the fluids and filter maintenance.
It has been a great, problem free, truck.
Same with my 2020 3500 HO.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You're on a vehicle forum, where most of those with issues come to complain/seek answers. 95% of the truck owner population that has a relatively problem-free truck most likely aren't on a forum searching for answers to problems they don't have. Ram sells hundreds of thousands of trucks a year. We have a very small percentage of the overall population on the forums. They just appear to be larger because they're the loudest.

U

User_3336

Bought my 2016 new and have only been to the dealer for recall, etc. issues. All dealer visits have been excellent experiences. I do all the fluids and filter maintenance.
It has been a great, problem free, truck.
Same with my 2020 3500 HO.
You didn't buy a maintenance package with your Ford ESP?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

I've owned three 5th gens, and only one has been back to the dealership for a warranty claim. That was pretty unavoidable since the RF hub died from the leaking rear window, rendering the truck totally dead except for the alarm that started blaring when I used the key to unlock the truck. I get what you're trying to say, but it's hard for me to blame people for taking their trucks back to the dealership for what are relatively minor issues. MSRP on our 2020 Limited was $75k. It's hard to ignore even the small things when you pay that much for something. At the risk of sounding like a trim level snob, and I'm not trying to belittle the lower trim levels, but I'd probably have lower expectations if I'd bought a Tradesman or Big Horn instead of a Limited.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had 1 year and 11k on my ‘21 hemi with no trips to the dealer. My ‘22 ecodiesel has 2 recalls but I haven’t been to the dealer yet, especially since there’s no eta for parts on the fuel pump recall.

Mirowpl

Reaction score
November will,be 3 yrs old with 58k miles. Just put new tires on after the stocks got too slick for my liking. One recall c
To check something. The only issue I have had was the tailgate sticking. It has been fixed under warranty. This is my third dodge/ram 1500 and have been great vehicles. No complaints from me

Users who are viewing this thread