5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bit the bullet - ordered AMP research power steps

Choate

Reaction score
Mentioned a 5 year warranty on AMP as well. Not sure about MOPAR. They probably offer something

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Mopar steps do that also. I turn mine off when I'm working on my truck and opening and closing the door a lot. I like how much higher the Mopar steps sit in the deployed position
How much higher are they?

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Last edited:

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score

CPenn1086

Reaction score
I think it did recently. Last time I looked I want to say it was $1580ish

Even that seems high. I remember the pricing being somewhere between 1200-1300 BEFORE I used my coupon. Crazy world we live in right now...

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
Likely the most useful part of oem is the retract feature. Guys with older trucks had to pull a fuse to keep them tucked in for the winter. Depending on where you live that’s a factor, both motors on my 19 have been replaced. Hard winters are tough on the motors (which, I think, are glorified wiper motors).

Choate

Reaction score

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I didn’t even consider this. My trucks lifted 3.5” in the front and 2” in the rear so probably I’d prefer the lower ones anyways
Maybe, but it's still a longer step into the cab compared to the Mopar boards.

Brunzca

Reaction score
The Mopar steps do that also. I turn mine off when I'm working on my truck and opening and closing the door a lot. I like how much higher the Mopar steps sit in the deployed position too.
That makes sense
I didn’t even consider this. My trucks lifted 3.5” in the front and 2” in the rear so probably I’d prefer the lower ones anyways
Same here. I specifically bought the AMP steps when I had my lift installed, because of how much lower they went than most most fixed steps/boards.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In all honesty, the lights aren’t absolutely necessary, either - the lights under the mirrors (puddle lights?) do a pretty good job lighting up the steps. But, I ran led strips, instead of the lights that came with the steps, to make it a little different, anyway (And avoid drilling).

This! Hell I never bothered to install the lights myself. The puddles lights lit them up good enough and I never like the blue hue color I got with my 14 Ram with Amps steps so I skipped installing them this time around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

abooboo

Reaction score
This! Hell I never bothered to install the lights myself. The puddles lights lit them up good enough and I never like the blue hue color I got with my 14 Ram with Amps steps so I skipped installing them this time around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Love my AMP Smart Powersteps. Installed myself. Couldn't figure out why they deployed when door closed and opened when door shut. Found a Youtube video with same problem-polarity reversed at manufacture. Swapped two wires and viola! Left the lights unhooked, don't need them. If I decide to add them in future, will probably go with strips instead.

Choate

Reaction score
Got ‘em on. Glad I did it for sure. With 34s and a 3.5” lift it’s about 12” from the ground to the step, and about 15” from the step to the floorboard of the truck. Don’t have any pictures but do have a short video. Not sure how to add that in here

wsutard1

Reaction score
I believe that the Mopar steps are actually made by Amp. I’m 80% on this so I reserve the right to be wrong.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
I believe that the Mopar steps are actually made by Amp. I’m 80% on this so I reserve the right to be wrong.
Multiple members on this forum over the years have mentioned calling Amp and they confirmed they do not make the Mopar boards. There are several differences in the two brands. Some have already been mentioned in this thread.

ben b

Reaction score
I find the manual deploy/retract very useful, especially when combined with air suspension. Parking in any public lot I raise my air suspension all the way up, deploy the steps, and retract the mirrors. This helps prevent door dings since most car doors don't clear the steps, so if someone throws open their door it just hits the step. Doesn't help with taller SUV's or other trucks though.
This is brilliant! I always park 1/4 mile away from other cars and put up with eye rolling from my bride! I work hard to keep my truck looking nice and hate door dings from careless people. Love your solutuion! May help my marriage as well.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just got my Mopar steps last week. Love them! Called around to several places. Mopar and amp were the same price, but found one dealer that was $300 cheaper. Plus, I don't need the extra lights and like how I can control from the screen.

I've heard from multiple sources that Amp licensed them to Mopar who had to find another supplier, because Amp couldn't keep up with demand.

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
I just got my Mopar steps last week. Love them! Called around to several places. Mopar and amp were the same price, but found one dealer that was $300 cheaper. Plus, I don't need the extra lights and like how I can control from the screen.

I've heard from multiple sources that Amp licensed them to Mopar who had to find another supplier, because Amp couldn't keep up with demand.
You put them on yourself or have dealer do it? If self, how was it? Was the wiring difficult?

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I let the dealer do it. I was going to install and let them do the software, but labor was only $180, and I just didn't want to mess with them. They said it would take all day, but had it done in about 3 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread