5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bit the bullet - ordered AMP research power steps

Choate

Reaction score
Should be in next week. Local shop installing next Friday. $1650 + $400 install. Ouch. That being said I’m pretty sure I’ll be glad I did it. I can get in fine. Woman and kids. Yeah I have a Rubbermaid two step stool for that right now 😂. I put my fixed steps back on and instantly hated it so here we are. Thankfully I have a good job and can afford it. If I had the job I have now when I bought the truck I would have definitely upgraded to a Laramie w power steps from the factory but I still love my truck. I’ll post some pics of them when I get it back. The local truck shop said he wouldn’t be surprised if they went up even more soon bc still in very high demand and mostly back ordered

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Any reason why you didn't get the Mopar Power Running Boards?

Brunzca

Reaction score
I'm interested as well. I want the UConnect controllability of Mopar, but I want the lights for AMP.
This is the #1 reason I went with AMP, I wanted the lights. I also wanted to install myself, and the plug and play version of the AMP steps is pretty easy to do. The touch screen control would be ok, but I doubt I would have ever really used it, at least not enough to be worth the trade off. Eventually, I may get the override switch for manual deployment/retraction (unless the new switch for the smart steps is compatible so I can do it through an app), but it doesn’t seem like it’s a necessity.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is the #1 reason I went with AMP, I wanted the lights. I also wanted to install myself, and the plug and play version of the AMP steps is pretty easy to do. The touch screen control would be ok, but I doubt I would have ever really used it, at least not enough to be worth the trade off. Eventually, I may get the override switch for manual deployment/retraction (unless the new switch for the smart steps is compatible so I can do it through an app), but it doesn’t seem like it’s a necessity.
Yeah it probably isn't a very useful tool I guess. Just seems like a cool feature. The lights are obviously more useful.

Brunzca

Reaction score
Yeah it probably isn't a very useful tool I guess. Just seems like a cool feature. The lights are obviously more useful.
In all honesty, the lights aren’t absolutely necessary, either - the lights under the mirrors (puddle lights?) do a pretty good job lighting up the steps. But, I ran led strips, instead of the lights that came with the steps, to make it a little different, anyway (And avoid drilling).

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In all honesty, the lights aren’t absolutely necessary, either - the lights under the mirrors (puddle lights?) do a pretty good job lighting up the steps. But, I ran led strips, instead of the lights that came with the steps, to make it a little different, anyway (And avoid drilling).
Just gonna confuse my decision. Lol

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I find the manual deploy/retract very useful, especially when combined with air suspension. Parking in any public lot I raise my air suspension all the way up, deploy the steps, and retract the mirrors. This helps prevent door dings since most car doors don't clear the steps, so if someone throws open their door it just hits the step. Doesn't help with taller SUV's or other trucks though.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I find the manual deploy/retract very useful, especially when combined with air suspension. Parking in any public lot I raise my air suspension all the way up, deploy the steps, and retract the mirrors. This helps prevent door dings since most car doors don't clear the steps, so if someone throws open their door it just hits the step. Doesn't help with taller SUV's or other trucks though.
I see how that would be useful. My truck is neither lifted, nor air, so that doesn't help me.

CPenn1086

Reaction score
Are the AMP steps that much better? I got out the door around $1200 for dealer installed OEM power steps. They are awesome.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are the AMP steps that much better? I got out the door around $1200 for dealer installed OEM power steps. They are awesome.
I think what is pushing me toward the Mopar steps the most is it's not plugged into the OBD port like the AMPs

CPenn1086

Reaction score
I think what is pushing me toward the Mopar steps the most is it's not plugged into the OBD port like the AMPs

Same, that and the UConnect integration were deciding factors for me. Not to mention the deal I got on them lol

Brunzca

Reaction score
Manual deploy is useful for washing the steps, otherwise you would have to leave your door open to clean them off.

Not for AMP.. You just stand on the step while you close the door, and they stay down. Then they close next time you open/close the door. No big deal.

But if as mentioned above, dealer installed is $1200, that's a great deal! I think the cheapest I saw was close to $2000 installed?

CPenn1086

Reaction score
Where did you get yours

Direct from the dealer. Not sure where it came from, but I had a 20% off accessory coupon and they let me use it. Also, I don't recall the MSRP being $1,785 according to what the Mopar store currently says. Perhaps the price went up? Wouldn't surprise me...

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Direct from the dealer. Not sure where it came from, but I had a 20% off accessory coupon and they let me use it. Also, I don't recall the MSRP being $1,785 according to what the Mopar store currently says. Perhaps the price went up? Wouldn't surprise me...
I think it did recently. Last time I looked I want to say it was $1580ish

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not for AMP.. You just stand on the step while you close the door, and they stay down. Then they close next time you open/close the door. No big deal.

But if as mentioned above, dealer installed is $1200, that's a great deal! I think the cheapest I saw was close to $2000 installed?
The Mopar steps do that also. I turn mine off when I'm working on my truck and opening and closing the door a lot. I like how much higher the Mopar steps sit in the deployed position too.

Choate

Reaction score
Any reason why you didn't get the Mopar Power Running Boards?
Went with AMP bc the shop said it’s the only one they’ll install that’s powered. Said OEM are good they just don’t do them. I figured I’ve never heard anyone not like the AMPS and he showed them to me on his truck and I liked them so just went with those

Users who are viewing this thread