5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilstein 6112 on highest setting

FLEX89

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a set of 6112/5160 for my non ORG truck. I am wondering if ride quality is compromised by setting the 6112 at their highwat setting (click 8)

Also, would a 1.5” spring in the rear have me leveled with the front or would it be too much rake?

Last edited:

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a set of 6112/5160 for my non ORG truck. I am wondering if ride quality is compromised by setting the 6112 at their highwat setting (click 8)

Also, would a 1.5” spring in the rear have me leveled with the front or would it be too much rake?

Thank you!
I don't know what that setting amounts to as far as lift, but in my experience, over 3" of level/lift in the front results in a harsh ride. I backed down from 3.5" to 3.0" and the ride was much better.
I think this would apply to any shock/strut on OEM suspension parts. There isn't enough rebound travel and the control arms become too sharply angled over 3".

With 3" of lift in the front and Icon rear springs (gained about 2" rear), I have about 0.75" of rake.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Per the installation manual, 6112’s set at clip 8 on a non ORG truck will gain 2.6 inches of lift in the front. On a ORG truck, that would be 2 inches on clip 8.
Ride would be comparable to stock. Ride can/will change once you upgrade tires, especially if you go e-rated AT tires.
For the springs in the rear, I would suggest taking stock measurements of your fender height. Then factor in the new heights and see where you’ll end up. Account for settling over time. That should tell you if you’ll end up with too much rake or not.
I’m ORG equipped and have done exactly this, minus the 5160’s in back. On clip 8 and 1.5 inch Icon springs in back, I am almost level with about a 1/4 of rake. Hope this helps. IMG_0145.png
Good luck. 🤙🏽

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Per the installation manual, 6112’s set at clip 8 on a non ORG truck will gain 2.6 inches of lift in the front. On a ORG truck, that would be 2 inches on clip 8.
Ride would be comparable to stock. Ride can/will change once you upgrade tires, especially if you go e-rated AT tires.
For the springs in the rear, I would suggest taking stock measurements of your fender height. Then factor in the new heights and see where you’ll end up. Account for settling over time. That should tell you if you’ll end up with too much rake or not.
I’m ORG equipped and have done exactly this, minus the 5160’s in back. On clip 8 and 1.5 inch Icon springs in back, I am almost level with about a 1/4 of rake. Hope this helps. View attachment 165231
Good luck. 🤙🏽
I read this many times and it really seems like the columns are mis-labeled. Wouldn't you gain more lift at the same clip position with the ORP spings vs. non-ORP? They add 1" alone.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I read this many times and it really seems like the columns are mis-labeled. Wouldn't you gain more lift at the same clip position with the ORP spings vs. non-ORP? They add 1" alone.
I wondered that too, considering the whole strut and spring assembly is replaced.
Unless they're taking into account the one inch already there from the ORP springs. So now its 3 inches from a non ORP stock. Just guessing, but seems logical.

DOFF

Reaction score
I did the 6112 on highest setting, E rated 34s and 1” block to the rear Have about 3/4” rake. Daily ride is somewhat stiff and washboards/rocky terrain at speed rattle my teeth loose, even at 20psi lol. Gonna be swapping out for Accutunes Fox DSC soon.

Attachments

• IMG_6864.png
    IMG_6864.png
    232 KB · Views: 134

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ORG is irrelevant with the 6112's since the coil is replaced. 2.6 inches is what you get. IMO that is where it should be set. Your ride will be fine. Albeit, Bilsteins are digressive valved so the ride will be stiff at low speeds but great at road and highway speeds.

DOFF

Reaction score
My 6112s even at road or highway speeds still ride rough. It’s not until I get into the bigger hits off roading that the valving really softens up and smooths out. The 6112s have great handling on and off road tho

Ccm12

Reaction score
I don't know what that setting amounts to as far as lift, but in my experience, over 3" of level/lift in the front results in a harsh ride. I backed down from 3.5" to 3.0" and the ride was much better.
I think this would apply to any shock/strut on OEM suspension parts. There isn't enough rebound travel and the control arms become too sharply angled over 3".

With 3" of lift in the front and Icon rear springs (gained about 2" rear), I have about 0.75" of rake.
Can you share a pic!

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
i have the the Bilstein front 6112 strut/spring set to #7 clip, 2.2". clip #8 would be 2.6" and i have the 5100 shocks in the rear. imo i agree with @cskindt , going 3"+ is not recommended for ride quality and mostly the geometry of the truck. id keep it at 2.6" or lower. that said for the set up i have and you want, even with the clip at #8 you will not need a spacer in the back or youll get the rake again so you defeat the purpose of a level. mine at clip #7 from tire to frame i have 5/8th of rake. which sure isnt much but i wanted just a tad for when i pull my boat or lug around my quad and bike to go riding ill be at true level. so im sure #8 youll get true level with just the 5160 shock in the rear. no spacer or spring needed.
as far as ride quality ive read and heard about it COUNTLESS times... that its stiff for a while. however i for some reason never had a issue with this, as for me the ride quality was instantly better off the lot and wasnt stiff for me at all. riding over bumps, dips, cracks, potholes, dirt, sand, mud,... it ate it all so much better than stock. i absolutely love the set up and ride quality
just my two sense to help.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
ORG is irrelevant with the 6112's since the coil is replaced. 2.6 inches is what you get. IMO that is where it should be set. Your ride will be fine. Albeit, Bilsteins are digressive valved so the ride will be stiff at low speeds but great at road and highway speeds.
ORG is still relevant because if replacing the coil, you lose the extra 1" the factory coil gave you over non-ORG coil, so have to subtract that.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ORG is still relevant because if replacing the coil, you lose the extra 1" the factory coil gave you over non-ORG coil, so have to subtract that.
Ok. So subtract it. You still get 2.6 inches of total lift.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok. So subtract it. You still get 2.6 inches of total lift.
What? Not sure where you went to school, but that's not how math works. The measurements given are from factory ride height. Since the ORG has a higher ride height than non-ORG trucks, the total "lift" will not be the same.

Fbird

Reaction score
ORG trucks do not start at ZERO hieght.....they start at +1"....

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
ORG trucks do not start at ZERO hieght.....they start at +1"....
No, they start at zero for the ORG trucks. Which is a different height than zero for the non-ORG trucks

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you remove the front struts on org and then replace them with 2.6 inch lift struts you get 2.6 inches of lift. The org is gone and doesn't exist any more. I can't explain it any simpler than that.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you remove the front struts on org and then replace them with 2.6 inch lift struts you get 2.6 inches of lift. The org is gone and doesn't exist any more. I can't explain it any simpler than that.
If you remove the factory ORG struts and replace them with the Bilstiens you will get the quoted lift that they say you will get for an ORG truck. It will not be 2.6" lift over what the ORG truck sits at from factory.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok. The org lift is due to coils that are 1 inch taller than standard. It has nothing to do with the truck. The 6112's have their own coils. So, you remove the org coils when you take out the stock struts. Now you have a non org truck. You replace the org struts with the 6112's and you get 2.6 inches of lift if that is where you set them. ORG no longer plays a part in the front end. You DO NOT use the org coils on 6112's. You start at 0. Not +1".

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok. The org lift is due to coils that are 1 inch taller than standard. It has nothing to do with the truck. The 6112's have their own coils. So, you remove the org coils when you take out the stock struts. Now you have a non org truck. You replace the org struts with the 6112's and you get 2.6 inches of lift if that is where you set them. ORG no longer plays a part in the front end. You DO NOT use the org coils on 6112's. You start at 0. Not +1".
It's still technically a factory ORG truck. There's more to the ORG package than just the suspension. And adding ORG springs to a non-ORG truck doesn't make it an ORG truck.

You are still only gaining the quoted lift, for ORG trucks, over what you had before the swap, and that's how it's measured. And it's not 2.6". Bilstien says 2.2" on ORG trucks.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's been explained to ypus several times now. The only thing that was being discussed was suspension. Not ORG package lists . The org suspension is Bilstein 4600 shocks with 1 inch longer coils. Remove them and its a standard suspension. If you want to play gotcha games be my guest. You are still incorrect on the suspension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online