5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Billet silver Laramie, first camping trip

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome. Great looking scenery for what looks like a great camping trip.

Looks like the Ram is the perfect size for your adventures.

We have a camping thread in off topic discussion.

Hope to hear and see more of your trips.

Our camping season here is over til April. With the exceptions of a few places open.

Thanks for joining us.

ptrnfan

Reaction score
That's a pretty cool spot you got there. It looks like California desert but where exactly is that?

metb4

Reaction score
That's a pretty cool spot you got there. It looks like California desert but where exactly is that?
Yeah it's a beautiful spot; one of our family favorites. Indian Cove - on the north edge of Joshua Tree NP. Not great for summer camping of course, but perfect for spring and fall

Ls15

Reaction score
Wish we had places like this in florida

RichT

Reaction score
Assuming you've received the Yakima bars by now? Did you end up doing a storage tote above them and how's the space been working for you? I've been flip-flopping between a retractable + yakima's vs a topper for the last month and need to decide soon.

metb4

Reaction score
Assuming you've received the Yakima bars by now? Did you end up doing a storage tote above them and how's the space been working for you? I've been flip-flopping between a retractable + yakima's vs a topper for the last month and need to decide soon.
Yes I have the Yakima bars and have been loving the setup. I've hauled snowboards and bikes so far. Haven't hauled cargo yet, but I do have the LoadWarrior + Extension that I will use next time we go camping.
I think the largest Yakima cargo box that would fit would be the RocketBox 12. Anything else would probably be too long - though I could be wrong.
Let me know if you have any questions about the setup.

Ram+Yakima - 1.jpg Ram+Yakima - 2.jpg Ram+Yakima - 3.jpg Ram+Yakima - 4.jpg

RichT

Reaction score
Thanks, looks very nice and extremely functional. If I go the retractable route, I was looking at the Truck Covers USA unit with the small toolbox on top. Looks like I would still be able to do the load warrior without extension, but possibly not the Rocketbox unless I set it back a bit.

How has the Retrax been in the rain? I expect they will all leak a little

metb4

Reaction score
Thanks, looks very nice and extremely functional. If I go the retractable route, I was looking at the Truck Covers USA unit with the small toolbox on top. Looks like I would still be able to do the load warrior without extension, but possibly not the Rocketbox unless I set it back a bit.

Retrax has been okay in the rain. Definitely leaks a bit, especially around the tailgate. I live in SoCal, so not that big of a deal to me. And with a BedRug, most of the water that leaks in drains underneath the rug. The stuff on the rug stays dry.

On balance, I've been very happy with the Retrax/Yakima setup. Exactly what I was looking for.

metb4

Reaction score

I should also mention that Retrax customer service has been great with useful tips and otherwise helping me to improve the watertightness of the cover.

Users who are viewing this thread