5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bikes loaded

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For someone that has never owned a motor bike, or even ridden one (except a moped in SWA ha) can you show some pics of how you secured the bikes in the bed? I am curious.
@Chippy I’m interested too... planning on loading a bike in the bed for the first time, need tips. Looks like fun!

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Very simple guys if I load one bike I use tie downs to the frame of the bike 1 front cleat and 1 other side going rear cleat or tie down. I don’t like to just pull the front suspension down tying onto the handlebars as puts a lot of stress on the fork seals.
However in saying that
Two bikes you can’t run straps as easy side too side so I use a simple rack I made that slots the front wheels into the front of the box which holds the front tires straight therefore using the tie downs from just the handlebars less tight than would be normally needed. You can buy these racks but I just made one it also allows me to load my ATV against the front of the box we’re the tires hit it stopping the front of the ATV winch and bumper going through the back window. I will follow up next time I load bikes or ATV with pics showing how straps done etc.

Oh as for the 6’4” bed doesn’t really make a difference and really don’t like the look of the truck with it.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Very simple guys if I load one bike I use tie downs to the frame of the bike 1 front cleat and 1 other side going rear cleat or tie down. I don’t like to just pull the front suspension down tying onto the handlebars as puts a lot of stress on the fork seals.
However in saying that
Two bikes you can’t run straps as easy side too side so I use a simple rack I made that slots the front wheels into the front of the box which holds the front tires straight therefore using the tie downs from just the handlebars less tight than would be normally needed. You can buy these racks but I just made one it also allows me to load my ATV against the front of the box we’re the tires hit it stopping the front of the ATV winch and bumper going through the back window. I will follow up next time I load bikes or ATV with pics showing how straps done etc.

Oh as for the 6’4” bed doesn’t really make a difference and really don’t like the look of the truck with it.
Thanks @Chippy I look forward to a few pics of the front rack you made, and how you secure your bikes should you have the time to snap and share. (y)

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My daughter still has her bike loaded in her truck here see how the bike is corner loaded and one strap pulling forward and the other back they hold very well as you compress the suspension and that keeps them taught. C3B15518-3C2D-4586-BCAE-28919524F00F.jpeg 6A9B1EC4-C48B-4769-8751-96D1D48C4FF7.jpeg

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My daughter still has her bike loaded in her truck here see how the bike is corner loaded and one strap pulling forward and the other back they hold very well as you compress the suspension and that keeps them taught. View attachment 20047 View attachment 20048
That’s helpful for those of us new to transporting bikes. My bike will fit (barely) diagonally but I was worried it would fall over during turns. What do you use to keep the bike from falling side to side? Just gentle driving? ;-)

EDIT: Ah I see, the forward and backward straps are individually connected to the bike!

jkm312

Reaction score
Moab has some really great places to ride and enjoy. Can't take the trail riding anymore, but I've had the road bikes thru the Moab area several times.
Living large and not holding back, using the Ram for what it made for, I like it!
Have fun.

Users who are viewing this thread