5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Horn vs. Larime

BizWiz

Reaction score
I have a Big Horn as a work truck and it's great. I ordered a Laramie as my personal vehicle because it has all the bells and whistles I want for the comfort and safety of my family. The features I really wanted were not available on the Big Horn trim at all.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've lurked here for a while and I see some people forgoing LEDs, big wheels, night edition, bed utility group on their order but then spending the next 3-4 years adding those things to their truck Some of us just like to tinker with things, others want to save money.

So looking at it two ways
1. Save money up front
2. Add the things you actually want
3. Save money on the things you want instead of over-paying in some cases for OEM tonneau cover or running boards
4. Have something to add to your truck and tinker with

OR
1. Order the truck fully built out "needs nothing"
2. Enjoy the factory & extended warranty on those items
3. Experience a better return on investment as "Protection Group" or "Bed Utility Group" actually add value on the trade-in versus "aftermarket skid plate & cover"
4. Pay more up front (and in interest if you're financing) and the monthly payment hurts slightly more every month.

Sometimes I buy a base model and build it up how I want it because I'm going to keep it forever and don't care about resale but in the case of the RAM, it's getting a wireless CarPlay dongle and that's it. The truck doesn't need anything and should sell for a bit higher or faster in 5-10 years.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another reason I went with the Big Horn is due to its relative simplicity compared to Laramie and on upwards. I.e., the more bells, whistles, electronics... the more likely to have problems with all that stuff. Since I don’t buy extended warranties I wanted the more simpler version that has less gee whiz stuff (and even the Big Horns still have a decent amount of electronics.)

Again it all boils down to personal preference. Good luck.

1ramrunner

Reaction score
In trying to build a Larime, Level 2 is replaced with Level B. I'm sure it has something to do with the chip shortage, but what is different?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
In trying to build a Larime, Level 2 is replaced with Level B. I'm sure it has something to do with the chip shortage, but what is different?
The short answer is they removed the blind-spot monitoring from that package and renamed it Level B. Here's a link to the story that was posted in the 5th gen Rams website a few days ago...

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I priced the build for both. The Laramie had some nice features not available on the Bighorn. The interior is a bit snazzier with the leather trim and vented seats. The Sport package has a cooler hood and nicer wheels. Proximity entry, seems trivial but it is nice in my Jeep to just walk up with my hands full and be able to just pull the door handle. The other items that are Laramie standard were upgrades for the Bighorn.

When done and optioning the Bighorn up to match the Laramie for all except the items you just can't get on a Bighorn, the Laramie was only $2k more. Then my dealer gave me the order price.:cautious:

The sold protected rebates were at $4k onthe Bighorn but only $2k on the Laramie. Bummer, now it is $4k price difference. The couple of trinkets are not worth the $4k to me. Wheels will be upgraded with aftermarket anyway so the cooler hood just did not make the cut. Put my order in for a Bighorn.

1ramrunner

Reaction score
Can it be added after the fact?
Really want to order a new Larime, but also want the BSM.

TravisJ

Reaction score
Can it be added after the fact?
Really want to order a new Larime, but also want the BSM.

I believe there is a post on here talking about it and I believe it is possible.

Personally I thought I was going to miss BSM, but after I drove the truck I wasn't as bothered. The blind spot mirrors are pretty nice and do the job. I still wish I had BSM, but it was not the tragic loss I thought it was going to be.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not having a power passenger seat is the one thing I really dislike about my BigHorn. Everything else the Laramie has over the Bighorn is not that big of a deal to me.

Initially, I was looking for a Laramie, but that was July 2020, and dealer stock was almost nonexistent...so I really had to narrow my must-have options and I ended up with a BigHorn. I really love it overall, I just wish I could add a Power Passenger seat.

JbVt

Reaction score
Not having a power passenger seat is the one thing I really dislike about my BigHorn. Everything else the Laramie has over the Bighorn is not that big of a deal to me.

Initially, I was looking for a Laramie, but that was July 2020, and dealer stock was almost nonexistent...so I really had to narrow my must-have options and I ended up with a BigHorn. I really love it overall, I just wish I could add a Power Passenger seat.
My only real dislike in my ordering the bighorn vs Laramie is the proximity entry. That would come in handy way more than a power passenger seat. Especially since I’ve never had to sit in the passenger seat!! 🤣🤣

Then the regret of not getting the multifunction tailgate. I had it checked off and then the next day had the sales guy remove it from the order. Really wish I didn’t do that! But that isn’t a bighorn vs Laramie thing, just my own frustration....

neddles

Reaction score
Is the Bighorn or any of it's packages hampered by the chip shortage? I've only seen that it's an issue with Laramie. Not sure...

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My only real dislike in my ordering the bighorn vs Laramie is the proximity entry. That would come in handy way more than a power passenger seat. Especially since I’ve never had to sit in the passenger seat!! 🤣🤣

Then the regret of not getting the multifunction tailgate. I had it checked off and then the next day had the sales guy remove it from the order. Really wish I didn’t do that! But that isn’t a bighorn vs Laramie thing, just my own frustration....
I would like the Proximity entry, but I have never owned a car with that feature, so not a big loss for me. :)

I do love my Multifunction tailgate, had it not been on the truck I don't think I would have ordered it. After having this past year, I would definitely order it, the most useful thing ever.

Scram1500

Reaction score
They have the exact same payload
Does the Laramie have a power passenger seat, probably leather? If so that reduces its payload compared to a Bighorn that has a manual cloth seat. The other little things add up as well

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Does the Laramie have a power passenger seat, probably leather? If so that reduces its payload compared to a Bighorn that has a manual cloth seat. The other little things add up as well
The difference between the towing capacity of the Laramie and Big Horn is a few hundred pounds at best. If you are bumping up against the max towing capacity of the Big Horn, you are buying the wrong truck.

Adonis72

Reaction score
Some of the Laramie payload numbers are rivaling Tacoma PL numbers lol. If that's a problem then I agree maybe want to look at 2500.

Scram1500

Reaction score
That few hundred can be closer to 500-600 depending on options, and if we're talking about a Limited up to an 800 lb difference in payload compared to a Bighorn. Someone posted a payload of less than 1000 lbs a while back on a fully loaded Limited

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
I think it kind of depends on what you what a truck for. A Laramie or Limited is really too nice a vehicle to use as a personal work truck, even a light work truck. I think the Long Horn or the Built to Serve models are about right for that plus a few key features. I recently got on the Ram website and built a Built to Serve model with only the features I wanted. It was about $15K less than the MSRP on our Laramie.

Going forward, we will trade the new Laramie in two or three years on something else. It's my sweetie's everyday vehicle and the one we use when going places together. But before I retire in eight years, I'm going to upgrade my 2003 Quadcab to something newer. I suspect it will be a nicely equipped Long Horn, Lone Star (we live near Texas) or Built to Serve if I can find one. Probably one of the ones that is new now. But who knows? For retirement, I will need at least one good truck and one muscle car. Maybe more.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread