5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Horn v Laramie...beyond the obvious differences

Boston

Reaction score
Wife grew up in a leather car seat world. I grew up in a vinyl/cloth when times were good world......

So you can guess I'm more of a BH than a Laramie leather etc kinda guy. That said the Laramie I drove three weeks ago was really nice.

Wondering if there are any subtle differences between the two cars beyond the obvious ones like Leather. Are the plastics in the BH hard but soft in Laramie....

Lay it on me folks. I can find a BH spec'd the way I like it but Laramies I would have to compromise on....

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I have a Big Horn Sport. It has "Deluxe Cloth Bucket Seat" listed as under the Sport Appearance Package option. Also Level 2 Equipment. It's very plush. No leather and no cooling seats, but it seems I have everything else a luxury car has -- heated seats, carpeting, power windows, power seat....

As an aside, I haven't seen anyone complain about the cloth seats, but there have been several threads about leather seats pulling apart and wearing prematurely.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a loaded Big Horn and it is pretty nice athletically and in material quality. I'm over 20K now and the fabric seats still look new, I try to be careful to not slide off the side of the seat to much getting out though as I know that is hard on any seat. The Laramie has leather on the dash and the big horn does not but I think the non leather dash will hold up better in the long run.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a loaded Big Horn and it is pretty nice athletically and in material quality. I'm over 20K now and the fabric seats still look new, I try to be careful to not slide off the side of the seat to much getting out though as I know that is hard on any seat. The Laramie has leather on the dash and the big horn does not but I think the non leather dash will hold up better in the long run.
The Laramie has fake leather on the dash instead of hard plastic like the Bighorn. Intend to agree that the plastic will hold up better over time.

kevinjones1997

Reaction score
I also have a pretty loaded BH. I wanted the cloth because, 1) I think it will wear better, 2) it seems like very high quality, and imo is good-looking, cloth, 3) I wanted it to feel like a truck not a luxury car. The only thing I really miss with the BH is the proximity key.

All_Black_Lone_Star

Reaction score
I have a well equipped Lone Star which is the same as the big horn. Originally I wanted leather seats but my truck and the Laramie I was looking at were around $6k apart. The only two thing I would be missing out on were the leather seats and the alpine system. After research I found I could upgrade the base system pretty cheap. And get katzkin leather seats for around $500 on ebay. The choice was simple.

dandar

Reaction score
I think you also get rear USB ports, LED head lights and tail lights, heated steering wheel etc. IE things you don't immediately notice at first but appreciate later. I remember when I first looked at RAM and the Big Horn I was really turned off. My base 4.6L Tundra had rear 12V port and dampened tailgate and Big Horn crew cab had none of that.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think you also get rear USB ports, LED head lights and tail lights, heated steering wheel etc. IE things you don't immediately notice at first but appreciate later. I remember when I first looked at RAM and the Big Horn I was really turned off. My base 4.6L Tundra had rear 12V port and dampened tailgate and Big Horn crew cab had none of that.

My Big Horn has all those features, the LED Lights are an option on the bighorn, and the heated steering wheel was part of the level 2 equipment group I believe. Alpine sound system was also an option I got.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My Big Horn has all those features, the LED Lights are an option on the bighorn, and the heated steering wheel was part of the level 2 equipment group I believe. Alpine sound system was also an option I got.
I’m just curious...at what point would those options (Level 2, LEDs, etc.) take you into Laramie MSRP territory?

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m just curious...at what point would those options (Level 2, LEDs, etc.) take you into Laramie MSRP territory?

I could have got a Laramie for less, but I did not want Leather and I ordered the way I wanted it. I think Laramies start around 50K and Big Horns top out in the high 50's.

kevinjones1997

Reaction score

It's about $4k, all else being equal. My BH stickered for $53,900. I really wanted the night edition package which is available on a Laramie as well, so if I option up a Laramie the same way as my BH (Rambox, etc), it comes out to $57,900. Rebates seem to go back and forth on these models. When I bought, the BH rebates were higher. But other months it is the opposite.

Boston

Reaction score

There is definitely overlap pricing but not specification/number of toys built in by the factory. On the BH Level 2 is the only way forward for me. Haven't told the wife yet but getting a BH-L2 (sounds like a virus) and decide down the road you want leather, something like Katzkin has to be possible.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I was trying to decide between two different but equally equipped Big Horns and a much better equipped Laramie. Rambox was a must, and all three had that. Both Big Horns had the LED lighting package, along with the big horn level 2 equipment group, off-road group, sports package, and 33 gallon fuel tank. One Big Horn was chrystal grey and one was max steel. The Laramie had the laramie level 1 equipment group, off-road group, and sports package. The price difference the BH's and the Laramie was about $4k. I went with the Laramie. Main reasons were the leather-trimmed seats and, well, the ventilated seats. So I guess you could say the seats were the main reason I went that direction. I also like the dash in my Laramie better than the two Big Horns. The interior just feels a little more plush, which is also what I wanted. Also, the rear seats recline and it has the pano sunroof. But I would have been happy with either Big Horn if the Laramie hadn't been available.

FuriousDZ

Reaction score
My BH is pretty much fully loaded minus air suspension. The sticker on it was almost identical to the Laramie I built out when i started looking at the ram. I wound up finding my BH on the lot with everything i wanted and got it for 5k under sticker. From what I compared between the BH and Laramie the things i couldnt get on my BH were the sport hood, 22" wheels and the leather seats which are cooled and the back seats also recline. That being said I am more than happy with my BH and that i was able to get it for 5k less than if I ordered the Laramie.
Dont think you can really go wrong with any of them, just comes down to personal preference of a few options.

Last edited:

19ramsport

Reaction score
I wish they looked a little different on the outside to make the Laramie look a little more upscale (I mean no disrespect to BH trucks!), such as a different grille or something like Ford does for it's different trim levels. Seems like the only real exterior difference is the Laramie has factory fender flares and the BH does not.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wish they looked a little different on the outside to make the Laramie look a little more upscale (I mean no disrespect to BH trucks!), such as a different grille or something like Ford does for it's different trim levels. Seems like the only real exterior difference is the Laramie has factory fender flares and the BH does not.
But...they do have a different grille, different wheels, and different mirror caps...just like Ford. The grille change is fairly subtle, though (chrome bars).

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But...they do have a different grille, different wheels, and different mirror caps...just like Ford. The grille change is fairly subtle, though (chrome bars).
Good point. That grilles are different on the chrome versions, and the BigHorns are better looking IMO. I am not a fan of the chrome grilles on any of the 5th gens, but the BH is the most tolerable cause at least the inserts are black. I believe the Sport grilles are the same on both models if I’m not mistaken.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Here‘s just one comparison from the dealer I bought from. This is just a pure internet comparison, the truck colors and gearing do vary, that was not my concern, but matching the engine and the optional equipment as closely as possible was:

Truck 1, loaded BH:
Engine: 5.7L V8 HEMI® MDS VVT, Exterior Color: Diamond, Interior Color: Black Cloth, Stock #: 200225, Drive Line: 4WD
(see window sticker, this one has the dual sunroof, level 2, sport package, subwoofer, 20” wheels, 12” screen)
  • MSRP $55,805
  • You Save $13,260
  • Internet Price $42,545
And now for a Laramie: (Note, no MFT, just trying to match up the sunroof, 12” screen, straight hemi engine, 4x4 and crew cab with short bed):

Engine: 5.7L V8 HEMI® MDS VVT, Exterior Color Ivory White Tri-Coat Pearlcoat, Interior Color: Light Frost Beige/Mountain Brown Leather, Stock #:200724, 4WD
  • MSRP $60,340
  • You Save $12,276
  • Internet Price $48,064

** So theres still a $6K difference between the similarly equipped trucks.
I believe that BH trucks generally get bigger sales incentives, but you may pay for that in residual value of the “lower” trim level years down the road at trade time. Remember I was just trying to match up equipment from the same dealer so that the same incentives would be in play. Truck age on lot was unknown and could factor in.

If that helps anyone, great. Otherwise I just spent 30 minutes of my life in the minutia of Mulroney stickers...

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I believe the Sport grilles are the same on both models if I’m not mistaken.
Yes, you are correct. I could see no discernible difference between my Laramie grille and the grille on the Big Horns I was looking at. Those BH's also had the body color mirror caps, just like my Laramie. So the only way to tell which was which if they were all sitting side by side is the wheels and the tailgate badge.

19ramsport

Reaction score
Sorry, yeah I was going by the Sport model which I have a Laramie Sport and doesn't look any different from the BH Sport other than the fender flares.

Users who are viewing this thread