5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big delay on windshield replacement

OBXDave

Reaction score
Had the unfortunate highway stone chip crack that quickly spread to a foot long crack on my 2020 Bighorn. Fully covered by my insurance and scheduled a factory OEM replacement with Safelite. Then I get a message from Safelite the day before install that the glass is back ordered due to shipping/production issues, and I will have to wait anywhere from 1 to 3 months for the glass to come in. This is already after waiting 3 weeks from when the replacement was scheduled. Sounds like more of the current pandemic supply chain chaos. Kinda sucks, and the crack keeps growing in the meantime, but nothing I can do. Anyone else run into this recently?

SadiEJays

Reaction score
No, I was able to get my rear window replaced in about a week when others are reporting 4-8 weeks. But I will say that covid has ravaged this country’s supply chain(not the virus itself) and I don’t see it getting any better anytime soon. I fear for my children’s future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Call your claim rep, ask them if you can get an aftermarket glass installed now so you can use your vehicle, TEMPORARILY, until the OEM comes in. Tell the rep the crack is in your line of sight and making it harder and harder to see. They record these calls, and when someone says they don't feel safe driving their veh in it's current condition, everyone starts worrying about liability if you have an accident. I'm an adjuster 🙂

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree - it costs them literally nothing to 'float' you a temporary windshield...if that one happened to break a day later they would have to replace it again and wouldn't bat an eye. Can't hurt to ask.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's not only an issue with being able to see well, it's also a safety issue. The windshield is an integral part of the air bag system. And any cracks in the windshield can compromise the integrity of that system, putting you and your passengers at greater risk for injury in the event of an accident. It's also illegal in many states to drive with a cracked windshield. LEO's don't regularly issue tickets for that, but it can be a reason for them to pull you over.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I would think with the chip shortage they would have plenty of supply of unused windshields and other parts as they halted production at some point didnt they? I need to make a claim for my windshield as well as I had a chip repaired a few months ago that has turned into a crack now. I haven’t been in any hurry to get it repaired as I don’t drive my truck too often and it’s at the very bottom of my windshield so I forget about it.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Had the unfortunate highway stone chip crack that quickly spread to a foot long crack on my 2020 Bighorn. Fully covered by my insurance and scheduled a factory OEM replacement with Safelite. Then I get a message from Safelite the day before install that the glass is back ordered due to shipping/production issues, and I will have to wait anywhere from 1 to 3 months for the glass to come in. This is already after waiting 3 weeks from when the replacement was scheduled. Sounds like more of the current pandemic supply chain chaos. Kinda sucks, and the crack keeps growing in the meantime, but nothing I can do. Anyone else run into this recently?

Hello @OBXDave!

We're sorry to hear about the delay, let's see what we can do! Feel free to private message our team with your VIN so we can create and escalate a case with parts assistance.

Hannah
Ram Cares

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Just had mine done in March... at that time there weren’t aftermarket ones avail... it’s factory or nothing... and yea I had to wait a month and a half for it to come in.

Divedude

Reaction score
Had mine replaced last week in Currituck. Didn’t have any issues

MARTY

Reaction score
Windshield cracked, notified ins.co.They set up appt with Safelight to replace on the 18 of July.Will contact them to make sure they have one before I drive down.

Rams01

Reaction score
Came here to say they have after market windshields now but aren’t clear enough for vehicles with HUD and makes the text blurry/unreadable. I’m being told 3-4 month wait for a crack spreading more with each night that dips below 32F

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Users who are viewing this thread