5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Brother a.k.a. The Man a.k.a. Stellantis is Watching!

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm sure my buying experiences was similar to most others - once you finally reach a purchase agreement you sit off in the corner awaiting your turn with the financial department to sign 3 reams of paper where they have one last shot to bilk a few more dollars out of your pocket. While that's going on the rest of the staff is getting your truck ready as quickly as possible (wash, gas, keys, subscriptions) to put it in the staging area.

When it's all said and done your salesperson may (or may not) walk you through some features of your new truck (including uConnect). At this point you've probably been at the dealership longer than you had hoped and just want to get out of there so either let the salesperson give you a quick rundown so you can drive it or decline and tell them you'll figure it out on your own.

Once the purchase has been scored it's a frenzy to get you out of there as quickly as possible and get the next sucker potential buyer in your seat while it's still warm.

One thing they will not tell you is what is happening to everything these cool new computer-controlled vehicles tell Stellantis. Sure all the data collected is used to improve the driver experience and safety...but...it is also used to corporately collect data on you and provide it to others.

You can read the fine print here (in the Legal column): https://www.driveuconnect.com/connectedservices/privacy.html

Overall Stellantis says:

In general, we may use and disclose the personal information for the following purposes:

- Providing our Services and related support
- Safety, recall and warranty
- Analyzing and improving our Services
- Communicating with you

-Personalizing content and experiences
- Advertising, marketing and promotional purposes
- Supporting our general business operations
- Securing and protecting our assets and rights

- Complying with legal obligations

Notice that it starts with "in general", which means whatever the truck collects they own and can use at their discretion. Your truck is a giant website that collects 'cookies' (data) that Stellantis can use as they see fit.

While you can't stop everything you can submit a privacy request to "opt out" of the optional cookies so to speak.

Many don't care and there will come a time where it is unavoidable. Until then I will opt-out of everything I can. I'm an "essential cookies" kind of guy and still don't have any social media accounts.

On the privacy page there's a link for DON NOT SELL MY PERSONAL INFO which takes you to the California request form (and a link on that page for the non-CA form)...or you can use one of these links if you are interested:

California residents: https://privacyportal-cdn.onetrust....fce/1c3a169b-1230-4a2e-b664-8785e3763e2c.html

Non-California residents: https://privacyportal.onetrust.com/...ce/draft/75ced96c-7a0d-44ba-a380-aa9635f8e393

Last edited:

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same thing when you use your computer, phone, watch tv, buy anything, etc. Only difference is that we're also paying to be the product when we buy a car, not just Stellantis doing this.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can't get over the 1st part of how awful it is for some to purchase a vehicle. I hear horror stories all the time.

Last edited:

LakesAZ

Reaction score
Yes the waiting time at the dealership is way too long. You think they could offer to get you a burger and some fries since you are mostly likely way passed lunch time and you started this process at 9 am! Next time I think I will walk in with a lunch pail, then maybe they will get the hint to speed up the process.

jimk hunt

Reaction score
Order the truck online and skip the dealer games. Almost everything in your life tracks you. Google, Facebook, and Apple are much worse than any car company could dream of being. Scary to think that a Tesla transmits camera images to a central server. When all cars do this, there is no escape! Everyone walking on the street will be scanned and recorded.

OleNavyMane

Reaction score
I'm sure my buying experiences was similar to most others - once you finally reach a purchase agreement you sit off in the corner awaiting your turn with the financial department to sign 3 reams of paper where they have one last shot to bilk a few more dollars out of your pocket. While that's going on the rest of the staff is getting your truck ready as quickly as possible (wash, gas, keys, subscriptions) to put it in the staging area.

When it's all said and done your salesperson may (or may not) walk you through some features of your new truck (including uConnect). At this point you've probably been at the dealership longer than you had hoped and just want to get out of there so either let the salesperson give you a quick rundown so you can drive it or decline and tell them you'll figure it out on your own.

Once the purchase has been scored it's a frenzy to get you out of there as quickly as possible and get the next sucker potential buyer in your seat while it's still warm.

One thing they will not tell you is what is happening to everything these cool new computer-controlled vehicles tell Stellantis. Sure all the data collected is used to improve the driver experience and safety...but...it is also used to corporately collect data on you and provide it to others.

You can read the fine print here (in the Legal column): https://www.driveuconnect.com/connectedservices/privacy.html

Overall Stellantis says:

In general, we may use and disclose the personal information for the following purposes:

- Providing our Services and related support
- Safety, recall and warranty
- Analyzing and improving our Services
- Communicating with you

-Personalizing content and experiences
- Advertising, marketing and promotional purposes
- Supporting our general business operations
- Securing and protecting our assets and rights

- Complying with legal obligations

Notice that it starts with "in general", which means whatever the truck collects they own and can use at their discretion. Your truck is a giant website that collects 'cookies' (data) that Stellantis can use as they see fit.

While you can't stop everything you can submit a privacy request to "opt out" of the optional cookies so to speak.

Many don't care and there will come a time where it is unavoidable. Until then I will opt-out of everything I can. I'm an "essential cookies" kind of guy and still don't have any social media accounts.

On the privacy page there's a link for DON NOT SELL MY PERSONAL INFO which takes you to the California request form (and a link on that page for the non-CA form)...or you can use one of these links if you are interested:

California residents: https://privacyportal-cdn.onetrust....fce/1c3a169b-1230-4a2e-b664-8785e3763e2c.html

Non-California residents: https://privacyportal.onetrust.com/...ce/draft/75ced96c-7a0d-44ba-a380-aa9635f8e393
Aside from your point, what's your point, Master Chief?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Order the truck online and skip the dealer games. Almost everything in your life tracks you. Google, Facebook, and Apple are much worse than any car company could dream of being. Scary to think that a Tesla transmits camera images to a central server. When all cars do this, there is no escape! Everyone walking on the street will be scanned and recorded.
I would have loved to build the exact truck I wanted but it wasn't in the cards for me. This is my first new truck and did not plan on getting one any time soon. I was hit on the freeway (not my fault) and was on track to get my truck fixed (2003 Ford F-250 dinosaur).

One day I talk to the body shop and they tell me they're ordering parts and the next day I get a call that it's totaled. I had 2 weeks before I returned the rental and found this one on day 12 and had to suffer the sales floor gauntlet to get it.

Aside from your point, what's your point, Master Chief?
You don't have to just take it. I know many people don't care but I want it to be my choice whether that's the way it comes or not.

Am I nefarious or have any reason to avoid monitoring? No. Do I like everything recorded and my information downloaded and reconstructed on a hard drive? Absolutely not, especially without my consent.

I'm just throwing it out there for those that want a choice and didn't know they had one.

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I can't get over the 1st part of how awful it is for some to purchase a vehicle. I hear horror stories all the time.
I dealt with the sales rep via text messages. The only time I went to the dealership was to pick up the truck. Sales rep handled all the paperwork. No visit to the the finance office, and I was never asked to purchase anything else. I was at the dealership for 30 minutes, and at least 10 minutes of that time was me BS'ing with the sales rep about the TRX they had on the lot. Definitely not an unpleasant experience. But then again, this is a small town dealership with a great reputation for customer service.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I dealt with the sales rep via text messages. The only time I went to the dealership was to pick up the truck. Sales rep handled all the paperwork. No visit to the the finance office, and I was never asked to purchase anything else. I was at the dealership for 30 minutes, and at least 10 minutes of that time was me BS'ing with the sales rep about the TRX they had on the lot. Definitely not an unpleasant experience. But then again, this is a small town dealership with a great reputation for customer service.
This is the only experience I have had. Very easy not wasting my time sitting at the dealer for hours.

jent

Reaction score
Thank you for conveniently providing the opt out links @brian42!

I view this type of data collection as yet another cost to an already high price tag in these vehicles. I appreciate being able to reduce the free exploitation of my data.

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My dealer had a used TRX on the lot for $115,000, we also spent most of our time talking about it.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did that as well. The truck was 120 miles away and wanted to be certain that it would be there and the price I wanted.

Worked it out through the internet sales team and texted all the way up to the day before for price and availability.

Showed up in the morning after 2+ hours of driving into the Los Angeles area. My salesperson (who I had been texting with for a week or so) was out with the flu so got passed off to a showroom sales "team". The "team" started with me from scratch. It didn't take forever but it was laborious and slow. All said and done I was out of there in about 3 1/2 hours. That's not too bad but throw on the 2+ hours to get there and the 3 1/2 hours to get back and that was a l-o-n-g day.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It took less than an hour for me to do a short test drive, sign the paperwork, and go over the features of my new truck. The finance lady did go over the extended warranty options, but I kindly refused and she said, okay. No hard sell at all.

I can't imagine how it could take 3+ hours to buy a truck unless you were haggling back and forth on price and financing. Maybe having a pre ordered truck and everything already locked-in made the difference.

I couldn't give two 💩's about anyone tracking my activity. I have nothing to hide and it's not worth stressing over. Everything is tracked...get used to it or move off the grid.

56 Pontiac

Reaction score
Buying 2018 Challenger was like that. My 2022 Ram, not so much - I bought it over the phone (based one website data and their high $ trade-in offer) and it was delivered to my door. However I did have to sign a kazillion sheets of paper - at least it was in the comfort of my own home.

Dave

56 Pontiac

Reaction score
... uConnect ... don't have any social media accounts ...
I did not and will not sign up for uConnect, it offers nothing I need and will (further) invade my privacy).

And I'm with you, no "social media" (as if impersonal media could really substitute for a functional society) for me. Which reminds me:
socialmedia.jpg

Dave

Redfour5

Reaction score
Same thing when you use your computer, phone, watch tv, buy anything, etc. Only difference is that we're also paying to be the product when we buy a car, not just Stellantis doing this.
Privacy? We don't need no steeenking privacy... And in this day and age, I've pretty much given up on it. Ain't happening...

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can't imagine how it could take 3+ hours to buy a truck unless you were haggling back and forth on price and financing. Maybe having a pre ordered truck and everything already locked-in made the difference.
I stood around for almost 1/2 hour before my "team" was able to work with me (even though I had an appointment). I checked the truck out and took it for a short drive. By that time we were probably an hour in.

We spent about an hour (or a little over) going back and forth. Since we were starting from scratch I tried to see if I could get lower than what I had already negotiated. When that was not going to happen I got out the texts, they checked with internet sales, and gave me the price (it was worth an hour of my time to try).

I sat for about 45 minutes in the waiting area in queue for finance. The only benefit to that was that I got the fast finance guy. No pressure (declined everything extra) and had everything signed in short order.

Now we're at a little over 3 hours. I go outside and...no truck. Turns out the kid who was getting my truck washed, fueled, and ready was new. Since I had the 33-gallon tank (and the dealership only keeps 6 ounces of fuel in their vehicles) the pump stopped at $100. He had to come back to find out what to do since that never happened to him before so he had to make a second trip to the gas station.

Not my favorite customer service experience but I was never coming back so I went there, took my lumps, got my truck, and left.

I couldn't give two 💩's about anyone tracking my activity. I have nothing to hide and it's not worth stressing over. Everything is tracked...get used to it or move off the grid.
I am not concerned as much as I'm annoyed. Just tell me what you're doing and I'm fine with it. It's just lack of communication and the "if you don't tell me no then I can do it" approach that bothers me. Once that's established then it can be used for everything.

Next thing you know my electric toothbrush will be recording usage and sending that to healthcare providers so they can decide if they are going to deny coverage for my filling because I wasn't brushing for 2 minutes twice a day.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Next thing you know my electric toothbrush will be recording usage and sending that to healthcare providers so they can decide if they are going to deny coverage for my filling because I wasn't brushing for 2 minutes twice a day.
I just can't live my life dreaming up paranoid thoughts like that.

Users who are viewing this thread