5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BFGoodrich T/A KO2 vs Nitto Rodge Grappler

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why are people choosing the Nitto say over a BFGoodrich? Looks alone, I agree, The Nitto looks awesome but isn’t the KO2 one of the best rates tires out there?

I really like the Nitto’s but I’ve read / watched some bad reviews that they get chunked up looking and wear quickly. Anyone have long term experience with the Nitto’s.

I am finding it hard to buy a more expensive Nitto over a tire I do have a great experience with. The Nitto’s look really good though so it’s distorting my decisions.

Icecold77

Reaction score
I know plenty of guys running Nittos for years. Most very happy with ride, milage, and and road noise. Cant say I know anyone who has even bothered with other brands, unless they are on a budget.. then the others come into play. I've never had any issues with mine dating back to 2010ish.. Just my opinion

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know plenty of guys running Nittos for years. Most very happy with ride, milage, and and road noise. Cant say I know anyone who has even bothered with other brands, unless they are on a budget.. then the others come into play. I've never had any issues with mine dating back to 2010ish.. Just my opinion

Thanks. How many miles are you seeing out of a set of tires? Miles are subjective though. I think the most I’ve ever gotten out of ANY set on ANY vehicle is 25k. I do mostly around town driving, beats up tires.

Icecold77

Reaction score
I have a bad habbit of getting a new Ram almost every year.. I've never seen any noticable wear putting on 12k per year, alot of highway. I always get a spot on alignment and rotate too. Guy I work with racked up 45k on Nitto Terra G2s in 2 years and they wore well..

sgk

Reaction score
I have a bad habbit of getting a new Ram almost every year.. I've never seen any noticable wear putting on 12k per year, alot of highway. I always get a spot on alignment and rotate too. Guy I work with racked up 45k on Nitto Terra G2s in 2 years and they wore well..
How's that a bad habit? Purchasing one every 10 years would be a bad habit. You do however have an expensive good habit :) and a good choice in tires, I prefer the Nittos also but can't go wrong with either. You will go nuts trying to figure out which is better, just go with the one you would prefer to see your ram wearing.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went with the Nittos mainly because of looks. I did see a few bad reviews and was a bit skeptical. For the few bad reviews there are 100 positive ones out there. I did a lot of reading and I don’t think you can go wrong with either tire. I only have 1,000 miles but so far I’m extremely happy with them

Icecold77

Reaction score
How's that a bad habit? Purchasing one every 10 years would be a bad habit. You do however have an expensive good habit :) and a good choice in tires, I prefer the Nittos also but can't go wrong with either. You will go nuts trying to figure out which is better, just go with the one you would prefer to see your ram wearing.

True... Expensive habit.. My friend pings me a few times a year from the Dealership when something bad a$$ rolls in..

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had both and they are both good tires, I feel the ridge grapplers look better and have better wet weather traction and also offer 4 ply xl rated tires in larger sizes which saves weight and helps fuel economy

19BlkRam

Reaction score
I went with the KO2's and love them so far, Minimal noise off them if any they are a little tighter riding than the stock tires but nothing that affects the ride in my opinion. I mounted mine and drove 800miles round trip the same weekend and could not have been happier.

My previous experience was with the trail grapplers which look awesome but are LOUD on the highway. I looked at the Ridge grapplers and almost pulled the trigger but wanted to maintain the comfort on the highway so opted for the KO2s based on so many positive reviews.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Getting my rims and tires installed on Tuesday. Went with the BFG then. Since I have a prior good experience with them I just couldn’t deny using them again. Can’t wait!

When I looked for a new truck, one of my wants believe it or not was the cheaper rims as I knew I would be replacing them. I just didnt like any of the rims Ram offered. Anyways, my truck will finally look how I wanted it from day one.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Someone else said the same thing to me about why they chose the cheapest wheels that they could on their build.

Texas415

Reaction score
I ran Nitto Trail Grapplers on an 2009 Ram TRX4 and got 46K miles out of them. Good in the mud, but loud on the road. Then switched over to the Nitto Ridge Grapplers and they were hands down the best tires I have ever bought. Ridge grapplers were extremely quiet on the road and gripped good off-road. Highly recommend the Ridge Grapplers if you want a more aggressive look in comparison to the KO2's, but either way both are good tires.

sass

Reaction score
I’ve had both tires over a few different vehicles. They are both awesome and quiet tires.

The ridge grapplers, I had 13k miles on them and they were wearing well with rotations every oil change, maybe get 40k miles. They are a little louder than the Bfg but did excellent on wet and snow. But hey they are a “hybrid” tire so you can expect a little bit more noise.

The ko2’s were a softer tire and absorbed the imperfections in the road. They were definitely wearing fast probably had to replace by 30k miles but man in the snow and ice... they were awesome.

If I had a choose between the two... Dammz that be hard to say, depends where and how you drive.

I’m planning on the ridge grapplers just due to them being in 22’s for my stock rims.

Troop2865

Reaction score
I know the question here is Nitto or BFG. I have been looking at the same two tires. However, I just received my most recent Four Wheeler magazine and I see where Cepek now makes a hybrid tire called the Trail Country EXP. They have a 45,000 mile warranty.

The price looks great. For a LT305/70-18 (35/12.50) it is $264.99. The same size Nitto has been well over $300. I have had Cepek tires in the past and they have worked well.

Anyone have any experience with this tire?

tjthomps5629

Reaction score
I’ve had both tires over a few different vehicles. They are both awesome and quiet tires.

The ridge grapplers, I had 13k miles on them and they were wearing well with rotations every oil change, maybe get 40k miles. They are a little louder than the Bfg but did excellent on wet and snow. But hey they are a “hybrid” tire so you can expect a little bit more noise.

The ko2’s were a softer tire and absorbed the imperfections in the road. They were definitely wearing fast probably had to replace by 30k miles but man in the snow and ice... they were awesome.

If I had a choose between the two... Dammz that be hard to say, depends where and how you drive.

I’m planning on the ridge grapplers just due to them being in 22’s for my stock rims.

I completely agree. I love the KO2's in winter but I was burning through a set every 25k miles on my previous 3/4 ton truck. Now I am looking at the Ridge Grapplers just for the fact they would fit my stock 22's.

What size are you looking at? I am leaning towards the 305/45/22.

mikemcfarland

Reaction score
I completely agree. I love the KO2's in winter but I was burning through a set every 25k miles on my previous 3/4 ton truck. Now I am looking at the Ridge Grapplers just for the fact they would fit my stock 22's.

What size are you looking at? I am leaning towards the 305/45/22.

2nd this statement. my ko2's wore way to fast. (live in canada and have dedicated studded winter tires) maybe too soft? going to try toyo at 2 extreme 's next . great reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread