5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BFG KO2s getting louder?

Nels

Reaction score
Looking for an expert's opinion. I put BFG KO2s on my truck in February. Have put about 5000 miles on them since. Size 285/60/20, running at 36 psi. The last couple of weeks I have a perception that they are giving off a little more road noise than they had previously. I am wondering - are they really getting louder? Or is it just my own perception because my windows are down more frequently in the summer? Should i be adjusting the psi in the summer? Am i running a psi too low or too high causing unnecessary wear?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
When you put any off road capable tire on a truck, the more miles you put on the tires, the louder the tires will get over time. Some don't mind and some have stated the noise got so bad they changed out the tires long before the tread was due. Some, like you, say at 5000 miles it began...some say a lot more before they start hearing higher noise levels.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The quietest day is the day you buy them. After that the noise will increase as the tire wears and the rubber gets harder over time.

I had KO2s on my last truck and they definitely got noisier over time. I drove an old diesel that sounded like a garbage truck so I didn't care.

Even at their end of life they still weren't as noisy as others though.

Redfour5

Reaction score
I've had three sets of them. They are the best tires I ever had for mixed towing, off road. Yes, they do change over time. And to be frank, I don't think I have ever gone over 40K on mine because that is the point where the traction starts to go on snow and heavy water and I live in MT where the snow can last from Sept to May (2017 first foot Sept 17/2021 last foot May 12th) and they never take all the snow off roads on purpose and don't use salt.

But I still kept buying them... I found that I tended toward what is called "simulus generalization" where your brain just ignores a constant stimuli...kind of like the background music (AKA Muzak) in a store.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got about 35K out of mine. Up until that point I was a KM2 guy but finally got tired of regularly re-balancing them after every off-road weekend so they wouldn't shake the truck when I was going over 60mph.

To be fair that was on my F-250 which was over 2000 lbs heavier than this truck and had a solid front axle.

Awood05

Reaction score
As others have said, with A/T tires like these they get louder as you wear them. The tread pattern and rubber compound also affect noise.

I had KO2’s on my Raptor. At one point I decided to put on Nitto RidgeGrapplers. The Niitto’s were noticeably louder fresh off the installation machine. I wouldn’t say they were mud terrain loud, but definitely a noticeable difference. I will also say that the factory Goodyear Wranglers on my TRX are at about the same noise level as the Nitto’s were.

Nels

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Im fine with the current noise level. I just wanted to confirm that getting louder ia normal, and that i wasnt causing unnecessary wear with improper inflation.

Reactions: c3k

Users who are viewing this thread