5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

better horn?

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't the anemic sound of the factory horn but also don't want train horns. Anyone have any recommendations a horn replacement that is louder than stock?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m a fan of the 4 note horns. The FIAMM A-F note are the loudest horns that are DOT approved (133db IIRC). I can’t find the exact part numbers I put on my Land Cruiser without removing them, but here’s one of them. A lot of people scoff at non air-powered horns, but I’ve seen people jump inside their cars when I’ve hit my 4-note horns, so I know they’re pretty loud.

Edit: here’s a couple pics of what I can see behind the grill. Keep in mind these are about six years old and the truck is a 1998.

051D9077-9D54-4653-AA11-78C97BF48079.jpeg
6C845C3B-C5B2-4FE2-8996-2967DF93077D.jpeg
296E6953-24BC-4632-A66C-00AB1212328A.jpeg
F29403D9-F450-4D50-99E2-2EC0D07944CF.jpeg

Last edited:

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m a fan of the 4 note horns. The FIAMM A-F note are the loudest horns that are DOT approved (133db IIRC). I can’t find the exact part numbers I put on my Land Cruiser without removing them, but here’s one of them. A lot of people scoff at non air-powered horns, but I’ve seen people jump inside their cars when I’ve hit my 4-note horns, so I know they’re pretty loud.

Edit: here’s a couple pics of what I can see behind the grill. Keep in mind these are about six years old and the truck is a 1998.
Thank you! Picked up a pair of these and HUGE improvement. Great upgrade for 30 bucks.
1642830874929.png

U

User_34235

Ekaz.....how hard/easy was it to install these horns? Any advice?
Thanks

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ekaz.....how hard/easy was it to install these horns? Any advice?
Thanks
It’s super easy as long as you don’t do 4 horns like I did on the Land Cruiser. The supplied wire is a ground wire that goes from a negative terminal to either the horn mounting stud (if mounting to metal) or a good grounding point if mounting the horn to plastic. Add a female spade to the stock power wire and attach it to the horn positive terminal.
If you want to do more than 2 horns, you’ll overload the circuit if you hold down on the horn for more than a couple seconds. In that case, you’ll need to add a relay.

U

User_34235

It’s super easy as long as you don’t do 4 horns like I did on the Land Cruiser. The supplied wire is a ground wire that goes from a negative terminal to either the horn mounting stud (if mounting to metal) or a good grounding point if mounting the horn to plastic. Add a female spade to the stock power wire and attach it to the horn positive terminal.
If you want to do more than 2 horns, you’ll overload the circuit if you hold down on the horn for more than a couple seconds. In that case, you’ll need to add a relay.
Awesome...thanks for the advice/help. I dont want a train horn but I do want something to get peoples attention when need be.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is the horn actually anemic or does it just seem anemic because the sound proofing and ANC is canceling some of it out?

My F150 seemed louder, but it didn't have the quiet cabin and ANC like my Ram.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Easy install. I spliced spade connectors into the factory wiring. Otherwise they are direct replacements, the casing has the same numbering on it as well. The factory horns are all plastic and these have metal where the motor part of the horn is. There are some plastic cover/baffle deals on the factory horns, so removing those might give you some additional volume.
I also read somewhere that you can remove the silicone or whatever it is over the screw on the back and turn it to make them louder as well. I did see where the screw would be on both OEM and these horns but did not try anything.
Pop the cover over the radiator off, and a 10mm wrench to undo the bolt holding the bracket and the horns come out. Maybe 30 minutes from start to finish

U

User_34235

Do I take it that there are 2 horns on the truck already? Not like its something I go looking at.....lol

Users who are viewing this thread