5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Tuner without Unlocked PCM?

blackopsram

Reaction score
Looking for something that will give a bump in horsepower and throttle response without having to get an unlocked PCM. I'm not expecting Hellcat power here, but something that will, with the help of an intake and exhaust, wake up the truck a bit. I'm looking at the Pulsar which seems good, but always good to have other options. Thanks.

Matthbert5150

Reaction score
Looking for something that will give a bump in horsepower and throttle response without having to get an unlocked PCM. I'm not expecting Hellcat power here, but something that will, with the help of an intake and exhaust, wake up the truck a bit. I'm looking at the Pulsar which seems good, but always good to have other options. Thanks.
I have a pulsar for sale. Check the for sale section

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Rambox, 5.7l 4x4 3.92, Pano Sunroof, level 2 w/ 12", black appearance package, adv. Safety group, Power running boards, full ceramic tint
6" ProComp Stage 1 lift kit with 35x12.50r20 Nitto Ridge Grappler tires
20x10 - 24 fuel hostage wheels
Tazer DT, Lomax cover, Bed Rug.

*Future Mods"
Borla s-type exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Can

19ramsport

Reaction score
How about the Hypertech React? It's a plug-in throttle optimizer with different settings. I don't have any plans to try one but wonder if anyone here has?

d19r93

Reaction score
If I understand the "pedal commander" and other plug-and-play pedal devices correctly, all they do is just fool the computer into thinking you're slamming the gas instead of just easing into it. For example, normal take off is about 30% throttle. The pedal commander, et al., basically tell the computer 50% throttle, making you think there's a response/HP gain when in-fact, it's only fooling the computer. That's how a dealer explained it to me when I was talking about them with my Charger. As far as the Pulsar, I'm unsure. I just wouldn't waste my money on something that plugs in-line with my gas pedal.

Huck

Reaction score
I have a pulsar and there is a noticeable difference compared to a stock truck even my mechanic couldn't believe the difference

Gsmith223

Reaction score
I have a pulsar and there is a noticeable difference compared to a stock truck even my mechanic couldn't believe the difference
I had a chip that did the same thing in my Trans-am. It cost $30 not $400

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another satisfied Pulsar customer here. No issues since I put it on a month or so after I got the truck and I keep it in Performance mode because it's just more fun than stock. There's actually a video link somewhere on this forum of a couple who had their '19 Ram dynoed before and after installing the Pulsar, and the results showed a modest gain in HP. I think it was around 30 HP or so.

trixdesigns

Reaction score
I'd like to get one but have it programmed to improve the gas milage.

There’s a setting for that, but you have to take it to the dealer. They’ll buy it and you can get a Nissan Leaf

Realistically though, are you trying to force MDS on all the time or something? I have low mpg, because I drive short distances and sit at lots of lights. Give it 30 min on the highway at 80 and it goes up from 10-11mpg to 15-16.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread