5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best tuner for 2019 Ram 1500

Bighorned

Reaction score
In my opinion hemifever does more of the same tune for everyone while jay personalizes it more. The can tunes are pretty good. Depends on what you are looking for but unless you have a lot of add ons outside of a CAI and exhaust I think the can tunes will be all you need. There is for sure a difference but I wouldn’t call it a big difference. Noticeable but not jaw dropping. Also depends how much throttle boost you give it. People love the pulsar cause on performance mode the throttle boost is as much as they safely can allow so it feels way quicker.
yeah I only have exhaust and a drop in filter for now, but do think the can tunes from the diablo i3 etc are better than the pulsar?

SColang22

Reaction score
yeah I only have exhaust and a drop in filter for now, but do think the can tunes from the diablo i3 etc are better than the pulsar?
They are the same except for the 93 octane tune. Only difference in the other tunes is on the i3 you can change more things like throttle response, cooling fan temp and actually turn MDS OFF. If you are just doing a filter and exhaust I wouldn’t spend the $400 on the customized tunes but it’s not my money lol. If you got it and you want it I’m sure you’ll be happy. That being said if you go for a custom tune I would get the T2 to monitor you PIDs

Bighorned

Reaction score
They are the same except for the 93 octane tune. Only difference in the other tunes is on the i3 you can change more things like throttle response, cooling fan temp and actually turn MDS OFF. If you are just doing a filter and exhaust I wouldn’t spend the $400 on the customized tunes but it’s not my money lol. If you got it and you want it I’m sure you’ll be happy. That being said if you go for a custom tune I would get the T2 to monitor you PIDs
10-4 thanks again bud. I don't need the customization honestly. Just want to squeeze some more out of the truck if that makes sense. lol

SColang22

Reaction score
10-4 thanks again bud. I don't need the customization honestly. Just want to squeeze some more out of the truck if that makes sense. lol
Yea I got you. Custom might give you an extra 10hp over the can tune with your mods but again if it’s worth it to you do it but get the T2 lol

SColang22

Reaction score
Got my T2 in yesterday and could not be happier with it. Originally I ordered the i3 but for less than $100 decided to upgrade. Diablo and great customer service and after sending me another i3 sent a T2 overnight. Install was super easy on both and adjusting parameters is just as easy. Highly recommend for anyone looking to tune

Caballonegro

Reaction score
I am absolutely done with Pulsar, Called today, great customer service, he did everything really to keep me happy. I am getting check engine light at least every other day and sometimes twice a day. I called several months ago and they sent me a new pulsar exchange but the second one does exactly the same.

The solution is the i3 tuner for now, they are not charging me the difference. So hopefully I can install a nice custom tune. Any suggestions?

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Glad to hear they are taking care of you. And to get tuner and ecm for no extra is great of them!!

The big 4 for custom tuning on hemis that are great out there is Jay Greene, hemifever, Matt brown, flying Ryan. You won’t go wrong with any of those

SColang22

Reaction score
I am absolutely done with Pulsar, Called today, great customer service, he did everything really to keep me happy. I am getting check engine light at least every other day and sometimes twice a day. I called several months ago and they sent me a new pulsar exchange but the second one does exactly the same.

The solution is the i3 tuner for now, they are not charging me the difference. So hopefully I can install a nice custom tune. Any suggestions?
Highly suggest going with the T2 a little extra money but does a lot more for you and I found a little easier to use. With your mods listed the can tunes will be great. I would suggest jay Greene or find a local tune shop if you still are set on custom

lrobbi

Reaction score

I think you will be a lot happier with an unlocked PCM and the I3 or T2 ... Jay Greene will squeeze more HP out and it’s much more flexible for future upgrades. Just my 2 cents !

Caballonegro

Reaction score
I think you will be a lot happier with an unlocked PCM and the I3 or T2 ... Jay Greene will squeeze more HP out and it’s much more flexible for future upgrades. Just my 2 cents !

That’s what I’m hopeing

Caballonegro

Reaction score
Th
Glad to hear they are taking care of you. And to get tuner and ecm for no extra is great of them!!

The big 4 for custom tuning on hemis that are great out there is Jay Greene, hemifever, Matt brown, flying Ryan. You won’t go wrong with any of those

Thank you!

junior9

Reaction score
A friend of mine now testing a mdoel called SCT X4 7015. He says it's much easier to handle than Diablosport inTune i3 8145, which he had before. He has found that tuner after reading this content which was prepared by professionals ine the world of RAMs. And for me, the best model is SCT BDX Tuner, because it's reliable and has user-friendly interface.

Last edited:

popcenator

Reaction score
Th

Thank you!
I've had both Jay and HF tunes on my 2012. Both phenomenal tunes. Balls to the wall performance, they were about the same, day to day driveability they differed a little in how they felt. I preferred Jay myself for my own reason but it's really a toss up between the two.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

bigdaddymac

Reaction score
A friend of mine now testing a mdoel called SCT X4 7015. He says it's much easier to handle than Diablosport inTune i3 8145, which he had before.

I have used the X4 on multiple Ford trucks and it is a very simple tuner to use which is one reason I am delaying my tuner purchase since I have no experience with Diablosport. Plus SCT customer service is outstanding and easy to reach.

Stryker6040

Reaction score
I've had both Jay and HF tunes on my 2012. Both phenomenal tunes. Balls to the wall performance, they were about the same, day to day driveability they differed a little in how they felt. I preferred Jay myself for my own reason but it's really a toss up between the two.

Since you had both can you give us a quick write up on what you liked and disliked about both to give us honest compare contrast

popcenator

Reaction score
Since you had both can you give us a quick write up on what you liked and disliked about both to give us honest compare contrast
Sure. I started out with HF's tune. Got a log, sent it to him, he sent his revision. I didn't feel like anything else needed adjusted after that, and he didn't either based on the follow-up log. The tune was a very good daily driving tune with great responsiveness at WOT. I felt like the trans tuning was exactly what I wanted it to be, it downshifted when I felt it should and upshifted when I felt it should. My only issues with his tune was that, while monitoring via the Trinity, I would consistently get 4 ST knock which I asked him about. He said it wasn't anything to worry about and it was common for the Hemis. I trusted him and never had issues with the tune beyond the knock. I checked in from time to time to see if there were any universal updates to the tunes, and he gave me the updates when he did for a short while. As time went on though, I asked him to adjust a couple things and he stopped responding to the requests. Not a big deal honestly as I don't feel like he really owed my anything more than a good tune.

While running HF's tunes, I got bored one day and wanted to see what Jay was all about. I reached out to him and he was quick to get me a tune. Sent him the log and he stated it looked good as is. The tune felt strong and I didn't see any knock via the Trinity which I was happy about. The tune felt different, almost stock-like when cruising, but balls to the wall when at WOT. The shift points were much better than stock, but not quite as good as the HF tune. Still a great tune though. As time went on I asked Jay more and more about different aspects of the tune, what I could do to get a little more out of the tune, how much more aggressive I could get with the shift schedule. He answered every stupid question I had with little turnaround time. He gave me his honest opinion of what works based on his own experience and made adjustments when I requested. I probably had well over 200 emails to Jay and he was always happy to answer questions, make adjustments, and make sure I was satisfied with them. I sent him emails over 4 years and he never ignored a single one. My transmission (overdrive clutches) went out due to a 3000 stall converter and my abuse. I had it rebuilt 3 more times over the span of 3 months. I was talking with Jay about what might be cause the clutches to burn up and he assured it was nothing to do with the tune, even offered to talk to the transmission shop about the changes he made and said he would be willing to work with the shop to adjust the tune to appease the shop to retain warranty coverage. Longer story short the shop had no clue what they were doing, and I ended up trading in the truck after the last rebuild because we were done with the whole situation.

So bottom line, both tunes are great, they have slightly different personalities, but I'd get either again without hesitation. I included the costumer experience side of things because to me, that's what made the difference. Jay went way above and beyond with every request and answer throughout my time running his tune. He called me at 8 pm to discuss the transmission personally. I can't sing his praises enough. Again, I had no real issues with HF and enjoyed his tune a lot, but Jay won me over with his commitment to his customer. My truck was far from anything special, but he made sure he took care of me. Hope that helps!

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^^ thank you for that. Means a lot to the community.
As all my research on this subject has come to what you have said. Jays personal involvement and daily driver enjoyment is top notch. Not that the other big 3 of the hemi industry dont. They are solid too forsure.
I have talked with both just for future stuff I’d like to do. And jay pulls ahead on that.
I’m looking to chat with the other 2 bigs of the industry and see what they can do too. If nothing else info to know what I need to do

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online