5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Trifold bed cover?

ALT_F13

Reaction score
I have the soft gator tri fold. I'm very pleased with it.
I've ordered Gator ETX Soft Tri-Fold. While it works OK and install was easy, it looks so loose comparing to my old Tyger soft rollup cover. I've ordered a 2nd one to check if that is problem with the particular one or they all are loose (and not adjustable).

Attachments

• photo_2022-08-17_08-56-19.jpg
    photo_2022-08-17_08-56-19.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 39

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Without knowing the specs on your truck, its hard to recommend a perfect choice. Having said that, I've been very happy with the Gator FX. I had this cover on my last Ram, and liked it enough to transfer it to the new Ram.

View attachment 134496 View attachment 134497

Yep, Gator EFX. Same one I had on my Gladiator. Awesome cover, and I got it for $600 bucks. I plan to eventually get another for my new Ram.

vinnieloo

Reaction score
Looking to get a durable bed cover for my '22 Rebel. There seems to be a sea of bed covers out there and you cant really trust Amazon or 3rd Party reviews. Thanks in advance!
Think about other needs and wants. Do you want to use the bed rails? If yes then you can rule out all covers that sit on the rails and only look at ones that mount inside the rails. Do you need one that can open all the way and stand up?

That said i am happy with my Lomax. Water tight, low profile, no drain tubes, lets me mount a bed rack, easy to take off if i need a full bed, can close tailgate with tonneau shut, good warranty and made in USA.

Bob.

Reaction score
That one looks defective. Mine is tight and looks professional. It folds in 3 towards the cab.

beetlespin

Reaction score
Had one of these on my Ford Ranger and now one on my 2022 Bighorn. They are an awsome cover and I get only a couple of drops of water in the bed which I could fix if I really wanted to. Goes on and off in minutes. No bed rails to deal with.

carmcanc

Reaction score
I got the Gator SFX trifold at the end of last year, it was only $220. Fits nice and tight and mostly water tight. Hard to beat for the money.

Rebelde21

Reaction score
Backflip MX4. Looks very similar to the Gator earlier in the thread and the Mopar one. I imagine they are all similar overseas suppliers. Love the water-tightness, safety, low profile, and strength (you can stand on it).

It is technically not a Tri-Fold, but you can use it as a tri-fold if preferred. The best benefit is when you need the full length of the bed, there is a 4th fold. Otherwise, there are clips to keep it open as a tri while driving. I had a tri on my Tacoma and hated every time I had to take it off.

Last edited:

ALT_F13

Reaction score
Backflip MX4. Looks very similar to the Gator earlier in the thread and the Mopar one. I imagine they are all similar overseas suppliers. Love the water-tightness, safety, low profile, and strength (you can stand on it).

It is technically not a Tri-Fold, but you can use it as a tri-fold if preferred. The best benefit is when you need the full length of the bed, there is a 4th fold. Otheriwse, there are clips to keep it open as a tri while driving. I had a tri on my Tacoma and hated every time I had to take it off.
Backflip website looks almost identical to Gator Covers, so I assume that is another brand owned by RealTruck.com.

vinnieloo

Reaction score
Backflip website looks almost identical to Gator Covers, so I assume that is another brand owned by RealTruck.com.
Truck Hero is the parent company. From their site:

Truck Hero’s industry-leading family of brands includes Advantage Truck Accessories™, Alloy USA®, AMP Research®, A.R.E.®, Auto Ventshade®, BAK Industries®, BACKRACK®, BedRug®, Belmor®, Bushwacker®, Extang®, Husky Liners®, LUND®, N-FAB®, OMIX™, Rampage Products®, Retrax®, RoadWorks®, Roll-N-Lock®, Rugged Liner®, Rugged Ridge®, Stampede™, Superlift®, Tonno Pro®, TruXedo®, UnderCover®, and an online retailer, RealTruck®.

ALT_F13

Reaction score
Truck Hero is the parent company. From their site:

Truck Hero’s industry-leading family of brands includes Advantage Truck Accessories™, Alloy USA®, AMP Research®, A.R.E.®, Auto Ventshade®, BAK Industries®, BACKRACK®, BedRug®, Belmor®, Bushwacker®, Extang®, Husky Liners®, LUND®, N-FAB®, OMIX™, Rampage Products®, Retrax®, RoadWorks®, Roll-N-Lock®, Rugged Liner®, Rugged Ridge®, Stampede™, Superlift®, Tonno Pro®, TruXedo®, UnderCover®, and an online retailer, RealTruck®.
I've learned something new today :) Then I assume tonneau covers of all these brands are produced on the same manufacturing facility.

Bignick75

Reaction score
Think about other needs and wants. Do you want to use the bed rails? If yes then you can rule out all covers that sit on the rails and only look at ones that mount inside the rails. Do you need one that can open all the way and stand up?

That said i am happy with my Lomax. Water tight, low profile, no drain tubes, lets me mount a bed rack, easy to take off if i need a full bed, can close tailgate with tonneau shut, good warranty and made in USA.
which lomax do you have?

Bignick75

Reaction score

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While not a tri-fold, I just installed my Diamondback HD. I was a big fan of it being made in the US and having a lifetime warranty. No complaints so far.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 51

Sdot

Reaction score
I’ve got an armor flex for sale on the B/S/T forum. Brand new $600. $500 off.

Bignick75

Reaction score
Yep, Gator EFX. Same one I had on my Gladiator. Awesome cover, and I got it for $600 bucks. I plan to eventually get another for my new Ram.
how long did you have the efx? i’ve seen some bad reviews saying it falls apart after a little while

Bignick75

Reaction score
I've had my Lomax for almost four years, overall very happy with it. I think the aluminum is the way to go, tried some of the composit covers in the past like the undercover flex and they always warped and bowed after a year or two, also faded faster then the power coating on the Lomax. I do wish I could fold it up against the cab when needed but it is not hard to take it completely off.
which color lomax did you get?

billy_chode

Reaction score
LoMax Tonneau Cover Black Urethane (B3040039)

Hands down the BEST cover. It’s a trifold and the black “LINE-X”-ish protective spray has held up well with no fading after 18 months. It was simple to install (did it by myself) with simple tools and no drilling or glue, etc. It’s also easy to remove and is pretty light. It stays in place in either configuration (folded up or down) and does well with keeping water out. Even when washing the truck, I never notice water getting in when hosing it down.

I got it from Radco on a few recommendations on this forum. Lucas was awesome to deal with and shipped it quick. I did a crap down of research when looking at covers. I have OCD and am very particular about utility, quality, and aesthetics. The LoMax hit all the boxes. I was actually looking at WeatherTech’s cover, which is just this cover with their name slapped on it. The other thing I like about this cover is you can open it from either side of the truck. There’s a rope you pull down on either corner that releases the tabs to fold back. The elastic tabs to secure when folded are durable and easy to connect/disconnect. Another ”peace of mind” is the two carabiners that connect the cover to the rails so on the off chance it tries to fly off…you are good! Let me know if you have any questions, but I can tell you this one is the best…plus it’s made in USA!

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Highly subjective but I'll give you my experiences and choices. When I bought my 2013 I put on the Bakflip trifold hardcover and hated it. It was heavy, hard to open, and covered the back window when all three segments were opened. It also started falling apart, the pop rivets that held the cross members on kept sheering off.
+1
i have to agree, my first backflip trifold model F1 lasted about 3 years, them it broke, out of warranty they replace it (good) but it's now broke again,.. the water gets in between the fiberglass material and it becomes heavier and wayvy.. . i would stay away ,.. maybe its because i live were there is winter,... dont know..

for my new truck im getting something else for it, no more backflip

Users who are viewing this thread