5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Trifold bed cover?

Reaction score
Looking to get a durable bed cover for my '22 Rebel. There seems to be a sea of bed covers out there and you cant really trust Amazon or 3rd Party reviews. Thanks in advance!

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not sure if you are aware of this thread. Plenty on info, members will help with any questions.
Really need to figure your needs and what $ you are willing to spend.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You are going to get a lot of different opinions on here because everyone's wants are a little different.
With that said, I have been happy with my LEER HF-350.
PXL_20220318_172509299.jpg

Good luck.....many to choose from.

Last edited:

UglyMonk3y

Reaction score
Lomax urethane with Rambox. They do offer without Rambox.

Anything "Best" is a matter of opinion, but i am content with it. It's streamlined (same level) as the ridges of the Rambox.

20210503_154651.jpg 20201024_205119 (1).jpg

HemiDude

Reaction score
Without knowing the specs on your truck, its hard to recommend a perfect choice. Having said that, I've been very happy with the Gator FX. I had this cover on my last Ram, and liked it enough to transfer it to the new Ram.

IMG_3001.JPG IMG_3002.JPG

MidnightExpre$$

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone bought a Peragon? There look good on their website pictures and are currently $200 off. They seem easy to take off if necessary but i would like to hear that is a fact from someone that actually has done it.

Screenshot_20220714-071233_Chrome.jpg

n8zcc

Reaction score
Highly subjective but I'll give you my experiences and choices. When I bought my 2013 I put on the Bakflip trifold hardcover and hated it. It was heavy, hard to open, and covered the back window when all three segments were opened. It also started falling apart, the pop rivets that held the cross members on kept sheering off.

On my 2015 3500 I opted for a roll-up so I could expose the gooseneck or the fifth wheel hitch points conveniently. I chose the TruXedo Deuce which provides a flip-up front section for quick access to the front of the bed. I'm still loving this bed cover.

For the 2022, I went with the factory bed cover. Very nice cover, good quality, easy to use, and quite affordable when considering the cost of after-market bed covers. After 7 months of use, I do not regret buying the factory bed cover and would order it again.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
The "best" is subjective because they all have their goods and not so goods and everyone's wants and needs are different. I'll give you my opinions on what I used. I had a Gator soft tri-fold ($300) on my 11 Ram for 5 years that I liked but could be a pain if you needed access to the entire bed in a spontaneous situation. The Gator was removable in a couple minutes which is great but now you had to keep or store it somewhere until it was time to put it back on. Your local home improvement store doesn't make for a good storage space lol. On my 21 Ram I decided to go with a MaxMate soft roll up cover ($179) that does allow for full bed access without removing the entire assembly. Simply unlatch the end and roll it up to the cab and secure it with the attached straps. When done, just remove straps and roll it closed then fix the velcro sides to keep the cover taught. I liked both covers that I had but I prefer the soft roll up for my needs, plus it was better priced.

Lord Helmet

Reaction score
I went with the UnderCover Armor Flex on my '22 Rebel with RamBoxes. Was easy to install and feels very durable. Accessory Parts also gives a discount to 5thgenrams members.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I give a positive review of the BakFlip MX4. I've been very happy with mine and I haven't found it heavy to open at all, even as a 5'7" 145# person. It does of course cover the back window when folded up but since I opted for the tech package, I have the digital rear view mirror camera in the third brake light so it blocks my view if I turn and look behind me, I can still see behind me in the rear view mirror.

I've had to remove it once when I was using my bed tent--I'd love a tent that would work with the cover folded--but that was pretty easy and it went back on easily.

I've had almost no leaks even in downpours. That's actually been a pleasant surprise.

It's about a year old now and I have no complaints. I do worry that over time, the panel release cables might loosen from use. I've not looked if there is a way to tighten or replace them.

Reaction score
2006 had a roll up with the push buttons, worst cover ever.

2011 had the cheapest tri fold I could find online, it leaked and did not provide full bed access unless you removed it which took about 2 minutes. Didn’t care for whatever cheap brand it was, nor did I like how it would flap around when driving.

2016 had a Bakflip VP. Loved the look of it and it was water tight. Hated that it blocked the back window. And it was a PITA to get it closed. Eventually the Florida sun destroyed the vinyl and caused it to rip but it was still water tight.

Found a new Undercover Flex on FB Marketplace and picked it up for $400. Have not installed it yet.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lomax urethane with Rambox. They do offer without Rambox.

Anything "Best" is a matter of opinion, but i am content with it. It's streamlined (same level) as the ridges of the Rambox.

View attachment 134495 View attachment 134494

I've had my Lomax for almost four years, overall very happy with it. I think the aluminum is the way to go, tried some of the composit covers in the past like the undercover flex and they always warped and bowed after a year or two, also faded faster then the power coating on the Lomax. I do wish I could fold it up against the cab when needed but it is not hard to take it completely off.

Reaction score
like the undercover flex and they always warped and bowed after a year or two
Uh oh. I just picked up a Flex off FB marketplace brand new. What do you think caused it? Anything I can do to increase the longevity?

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Uh oh. I just picked up a Flex off FB marketplace brand new. What do you think caused it? Anything I can do to increase the longevity?
No sure, maybe they have improved them since. I had two of them one replaced under warrenty. Both bowed in the middle and then I would get a big pool of water on top of the cover when the truck was parked in the rain.

Dewey

Reaction score
I don’t think it’s the best but really like the MOPAR Tri-Fold tonneau cover that came in my BackCountry package. I normally run toppers but think I’m gonna stick with this. Really quick and easy to open and stow which I’m sure all tri-folds are.

UglyMonk3y

Reaction score
I've had my Lomax for almost four years, overall very happy with it. I think the aluminum is the way to go, tried some of the composit covers in the past like the undercover flex and they always warped and bowed after a year or two, also faded faster then the power coating on the Lomax. I do wish I could fold it up against the cab when needed but it is not hard to take it completely off.

I've had mine for 2 yrs, I'm happy with it. no visible sign of warping or even sun damage (i live in 105 deg average in summer). I've walked on the cover (200 lbs) & it did bow more than i preferred but no damage.

it does get heavy when u completely remove it which takes less than a minute, & about 2 min to reinstall.

during very heavy rainfall, it leaked very little in the 4 corners but that's mainly because of the rambox is about .25 inch higher than the bed, & there's an inch gap between the bed & tailgate.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If cost is a major issue, I have a Trident 3 fold cover that was $250 and works great. It's a soft cover with aluminum framing, but it's worked great for me so far and holds up fine at 80mph.

Terrible_One

Reaction score
I have the WeatherTech tri-fold and I bought it because it was Made in USA. It looks just like the Lomax that @UglyMonk3y has, so not sure which company copied the other, lol. It was super easy to install and it's easy to take off. My only gripe is that it would be really easy to break into through the tailgate because there is no reinforcement, just the thin aluminum plate. I can pull it up with my hand and easily get a bigger tool in there. So, if SECURITY is one of your factors, don't get WeatherTech or the similar Lomax version.

Users who are viewing this thread