5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best oil for eco diesel

2021DT28M

Reaction score
Weird that the 2020 supplement contraindicated itself stating first to use Shell T6 and then at the bottom to use Pennzoil Euro. Both require the correct MS and API specs however

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Weird that the 2020 supplement contraindicated itself stating first to use Shell T6 and then at the bottom to use Pennzoil Euro. Both require the correct MS and API specs however

I think we basically determined that the original 2020 manuals that came out late 2019 with these trucks were erroneous. They should have omitted the old info but didn't, and accidentally left it in there along with the new and correct info. The second revision corrected that in the manual.

2021DT28M

Reaction score
I think we basically determined that the original 2020 manuals that came out late 2019 with these trucks were erroneous. They should have omitted the old info but didn't, and accidentally left it in there along with the new and correct info. The second revision corrected that in the manual.
Yeah they definitely did. My 21 says to use Mopar or any SN that meets their spec 🤷🏼‍♂️

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
OK, so what should we be using then? Is the consensus that shell Rotella T6 is still OK?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OK, so what should we be using then? Is the consensus that shell Rotella T6 is still OK?
Not from what I can determine based upon FCA requirements. The "approved" oils that I can get which meet the MS-12991 and API SN spec are as follows (there are others, but these are what I can readily obtain):

Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TXFCC3Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
FRAM Full Synthetic Euro 5W-40 (https://www.walmart.com/ip/FRAM-Ful...V4vbjBx2AeAzEEAQYASABEgIR3PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds)
Quaker State Ultimate Durability EURO 5W-40 (https://www.autozone.com/motor-oil-...VevHjBx3RlQ3OEAQYASABEgKMYPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds)
Mopar 68231020AA 5W-40 (Bottom of my list due to the ridiculous price the dealership parts department charges for their unicorn oil)

I have yet to find anywhere that T6 is approved...a very, very good oil in my opinion but it doesn't meet MS-12991 and API SN.

Last edited:

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not from what I can determine based upon FCA requirements. The "approved" oils that I can get which meet the MS-12991 and API SN spec are as follows (there are others, but these are what I can readily obtain):

Mopar 68231020AA 5W-40
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40
FRAM Full Synthetic Euro 5W-40
Quaker State Ultimate Durability EURO 5W-40

I have yet to find anywhere that T6 is approved...a very, very good oil in my opinion but it doesn't meet MS-12991 and API SN.
Thank you for taking the time for that excellent response 👍

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FYI the Quaker State oil is typically found at Walmart for $18.97 or less per 5-quart jug. And it's EXCELLENT oil per my latest oil analysis. I beat the snot out of that oil for 6,300 miles and it help up amazingly well. I'd put it up against any "luxury" oil on the market.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FYI the Quaker State oil is typically found at Walmart for $18.97 or less per 5-quart jug. And it's EXCELLENT oil per my latest oil analysis. I beat the snot out of that oil for 6,300 miles and it help up amazingly well. I'd put it up against any "luxury" oil on the market.
Agree. I’ve used it as well for my first two oil changes but now can no longer get it at any of the Walmart's within 100 miles of me...or online. So, I resorted to ordering Pennzoil from Amazon at a higher price and hope Walmart stocks it again.

Last edited:

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For any Canadian Ecodiesel owners. I've been using Motomaster 5W-40 from CT. From my research it's basically rebranded penzoil. It goes on sale for $22 for 5L about once a month. It meets MS12991 spec.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For any Canadian Ecodiesel owners. I've been using Motomaster 5W-40 from CT. From my research it's basically rebranded penzoil. It goes on sale for $22 for 5L about once a month. It meets MS12991 spec.

You guys don’t use this?
296EC798-7E5B-46CE-BA9F-86164CC866A6.jpeg
You can tell from the really bad quality that I actually made that myself, and it wasn’t my 2 year old son.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You guys don’t use this?
View attachment 116135
You can tell from the really bad quality that I actually made that myself, and it wasn’t my 2 year old son.
I tried it once...it changed the sound of my engine...I had to immediately change it and have never purchased it since then.

The normal "Cackle, cackle, cackle, cackle" sound of my diesel disappeared and then it started making a sound like "Cackle, eh? Cackle, eh? Cackle, eh? Cackle, eh?" ;)

(No disrespect to my Canadian friends...some of the best hockey I ever played when I was younger was with my Canadian neighbors.)

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tried it once...it changed the sound of my engine...I had to immediately change it and have never purchased it since then.

The normal "Cackle, cackle, cackle, cackle" sound of my diesel disappeared and then it started making a sound like "Cackle, eh? Cackle, eh? Cackle, eh? Cackle, eh?" ;)

(No disrespect to my Canadian friends...some of the best hockey I ever played when I was younger was with my Canadian neighbors.)
Haha none taken man. The syrup runs well in the summer but she gets a little thick in the winter.
LOL

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just found this at a Walmart in the middle of nowhere and had to get two jugs.

89BE1F5D-7437-4D67-B84F-CF7045CD359D.jpeg

Whitenight

Reaction score
Just found this at a Walmart in the middle of nowhere and had to get two jugs.

View attachment 116986
That may be what I end up running if I can find it around. I'm an amsoil preffered sucker for my hemi, so I'm debating on using their euro oil even though it doesn't say ms 1299 or whatever that code is. If your running a good 5w40 synthetic, you wouldn't think they would fight you too bad if she blows up

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That may be what I end up running if I can find it around. I'm an amsoil preffered sucker for my hemi, so I'm debating on using their euro oil even though it doesn't say ms 1299 or whatever that code is. If your running a good 5w40 synthetic, you wouldn't think they would fight you too bad if she blows up
I bought this one because it is MS-12991 certified for our ecodiesel. I couldn’t pass it up when it’s double the price on Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread