5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best oil for eco diesel

rorischak

Reaction score
I have about 600 miles on the new ED and I’d like to make the first change round 1,000 miles. What type would you use

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Best may be hard to define but good inexpensive and readily available I would and am using Rotella T6 a full synthetic for diesels.

Jorgo

Reaction score
per the specs it should be a low ash formulation. Amsoil sells one. I’ve also used a ‘European diesel’ motor oil available from autozone. I’m away from home now, but will be back in a few days. BTW, I have a 2014 Outdoorsman with the first gen ED.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have about 600 miles on the new ED and I’d like to make the first change round 1,000 miles. What type would you use
2020 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel (the all-new "Generation-3" Ecodiesel) owner's manual states: "We recommend you use 5W-40 synthetic engine oil such as Mopar or Pennzoil Platinum Euro that meets FCA Material Standard MS-12991 and the API SN engine oil category is required." That's a direct quote from the 2020 Ram 1500 Diesel Supplement, the Fluids & Lubricants table around page 65.
EDIT_1: I emailed the 2020 Ram Ecodiesel spec to Amsoil tech support, they responded saying they have no product that meets Ram's current spec for the 2020 Ecodiesel. I'm disappointed, because Amsoil is my favorite motor oil, but until Amsoil develops one that meets Ram's Gen-3 Ecodiesel spec, I'll have to find another brand.
EDIT_2: When I followed up again with Amsoil and asked if they intended to eventually meet Ram's spec, this was the reply: "There is currently no specific date we will have an oil or certify a current oil, but we are constantly testing new vehicle specifications and making updates."

Last edited:

rorischak

Reaction score
Thank you go-ram that is great information. I was in the process of doing the exact same search and found where you quoted that information. I guess for now I will end up with using Mopar oil till something better comes out. I have never even seen Pennzoil Platinum Euro before.

HST

Reaction score
As long as it meets there API rating of CJ4 or better and is 5W 40 synthetic diesel oil you are covered . Shell rotella T6 for example . there are others.
That is also in the manual.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As long as it meets there API rating of CJ4 or better and is 5W 40 synthetic diesel oil you are covered . Shell rotella T6 for example . there are others.
That is also in the manual.
Which manual are you citing? The Ram manual I quoted above (red bold font) is the 2020 Ram Diesel Supplement I downloaded from Ram's website. Your quote of "API CJ4" compared to the diesel supplement I quoted "FCA Material Standard MS-12991 and the API SN engine oil category is required" seems to be contradictory. Can you please provide the link to the manual you are citing so we can get to the bottom of the apparent differences? Thanks.

HST

Reaction score
Its right in the manual that came with the truck.

1JK

Reaction score
my 2020 owners manual (20_DT_OM_EN_USC_N Second Edition) is somewhat contradictory and shows this.
Pg 358 "Diesel Engine Oil Selection" (doesn't mention 3.0L) should meet the requirements of FCA Material Standards MS-10902, and that are API CJ-4 certified and meet the requirements of FCA LLC.
Pg 359 "Engine Oil Viscosity" (doesn't mention 3.0L) 5W-40 synthetic engine oil such as Mopar or Shell Rotella that meets FCA Material Standards MS-10902 and the API CJ-4 category is required.
Pg 410 "Fluid Capacities-Diesel Engine" "3.0L" SAE 5W-40 Synthetic, API SN.
Pg 414 "Fluids and Lubricants - Diesel Engine" (doesn't mention 3.0L) use 5W-40 synthetic engine oils such as Mopar or Pennzoil Platinum Euro that meets FCA Material Standard MS-12991 and the API SN engine oil category is required.

it seems some of this manual is cut and pasted from years gone by.

I'll just use the Rotella for now. I believe Mobil 1 is also perfectly better than fine however its my understanding they are in some kind of pissing contest and not willing to jump through FCA certification hoops. there is more than one good oil out there and IMHO changing it frequently counts for more than the label on it.

HST

Reaction score
API SN rating is also a rating used for gas engines and diesel api ratings start with a c such as CH or CJ the best is CK 4 witch is backward compatible .
CK4 has a higher shear rating and creates less soot and is better for your DPF filter among other things. If you want to read up on the ratings and what are the differences
are go right to the API web site they have some good info there.

Pino F

Reaction score
At how many miles do we need to do the first oil change, my maintenance app tells me I’m not due till 10,000 miles. Then I read some of you are changing oil and filter after 1,000 miles.
Is it written anywhere?

Thx
Pino

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Some people want to get the initial metal & components wear out of their motor for fear of it circulating around in their oil causing unnecessary wear.

HST

Reaction score
I will be doing my oil at 1500 miles for the reasons Verndiesel has stated .

VernDiesel

Reaction score
371,000 she pushed a head gasket. Failed government mandated EGR cooler leaked coolant which comes out the tail pipes so no leak is seen. Low coolant lead to hot spots steam & pressure which appears to have pushed the head gasket.

If you can’t do a tune & a permanent fix IE EGR cooler delete then periodically check the coolant level in your degas tank. Generally keep it to the seam. If you have to add coolant more than once you likely have an EGR cooler leak.

bgmshrm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
371,000 she pushed a head gasket. Failed government mandated EGR cooler leaked coolant which comes out the tail pipes so no leak is seen. Low coolant lead to hot spots steam & pressure which appears to have pushed the head gasket.

If you can’t do a tune & a permanent fix IE EGR cooler delete then periodically check the coolant level in your degas tank. Generally keep it to the seam. If you have to add coolant more than once you likely have an EGR cooler leak.
first oil change I mean

rorischak

Reaction score
slight change of topic...

How much is an Oil Change running for an ecodiesel? I have never owned a diesel and don't plan to go back to the dealer very often but I want the first appointment to be there and I see that Ram is running a couple of oil change specials but none are for the Ecodiesel but they do have ones for the Cummins.

I am going to go full synthetic so I am expecting about $150 plus fees but was hoping I could find a discount coupon

VernDiesel

Reaction score
I would have liked to have done my very first at 1k but work took me on cross country trip before I got that done so it ended up being 10k.

My dealership used to charge $125 for ED. T6 bought on routine sales & 10k rated filters bought through Rock Auto always brings self change costs to $60-65.

ssgtprice5

Reaction score
I am picking up my 2021 ram Ed next week I will see what the supplement says and post

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got my 2020 Rebel with the v6 diesel in July and now have 9500 km 42% oil life remaining, I will book an oil change at my FCA dealer at 10% oil life, the dealer uses 5w40 Shell Rotella T6. The Rebel is my 10th bought new FCA vehicle since 1994, 3 Rams, 3 Caravans, 3 Jeeps and 1 Dodge Caliber, I always had the oil changed at the dealer until the powertrain warranty expired then did my own oil changes at recommended intervals, always used the recommended oil and haven’t used synthetic oil until buying the 2019 Jeep Trailhawk Elite with the 2 litre Turbo and my 2020 Rebel. In all those vehicles I’ve never had engine issues.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread