5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best milage ever today

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
How does the fuel calculator work in our trucks? I notice it changes constantly. The on in my Lincoln remains pretty consistent. I believe that one calculates fron the time you set it and keeps track from there. Does the Ram keep resetting at certain intervals?
That is one of the great unknowns. Check this thread.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Go with 3.92. He”ll appreciate the extra low end torque plus if he plans on bigger tires it’ll help move those better. The extra mpg gain between 3.21 and 3.92 is very minimal. Keep your foot out of it. Having owned both… I would never go back to 3.21 over 3.92 even if your not towing… worth the $100 upfront cost if your building and ordering your truck or buying off the lot.

1awesomelaw

Reaction score
If that's the way you want to go - go for it. Personally, I don't pay much attention to MPG as my truck is not a daily driver and is used mostly for pleasure.
But based on the responses to your question so far, you are choosing the opposite of what everyone has suggested based on the use your son's truck will see. If he wants a bit more pep of the line, go for it. If he plans to do a lot of highway driving and will be using the truck for more practical purposes, make sure you have done your research so you'll be able to best guide your son. These trucks are expensive, just trying to help your son to be happy with his purchase.
what would you recommend to go with ?

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
If you son plans on a decent amount of highway driving and not much towing, I'd definitely suggest 3.21. Towing capacity is still quite capable, and he should see better mpg when cruising at higher speeds. As mentioned above, if larger tires are in his plans or if he's looking for a little more low end performance, then 3.92 could be the better way to go. Just gotta be realist about how the truck will be used.

1awesomelaw

Reaction score
If you son plans on a decent amount of highway driving and not much towing, I'd definitely suggest 3.21. Towing capacity is still quite capable, and he should see better mpg when cruising at higher speeds. As mentioned above, if larger tires are in his plans or if he's looking for a little more low end performance, then 3.92 could be the better way to go. Just gotta be realist about how the truck will be used.
Thanks for your answer

Users who are viewing this thread