5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best milage ever today

Burnzie

Reaction score
2020 Rebel bone stock 8,000 miles on OD. Got 18.4 MPG by the end of the trip today 240 miles round trip, had cruise set @ 65, not on the interstate. Normally on the interstate going to work I set @ 74 and it drops down to maybe 16.3 if I'm lucky. Maybe 65 is the magic number for the ETorque and 3:91 gears ?
71 degrees outside w/ AC on low.

peckmv

Reaction score
My best was 20.1. I usually get in the mid 18's with 89 octane using summer blend with 10% ethanol. I achieved 20.1 using ethanol free 90 octane.

Amerinamese

Reaction score
My best was 19.7. I set the cruise at 70 on the highway.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On a Rebel running 55-65 mph I consistently get 19 with my current setup (see sig). Stopping/starting absolutely kills MPG, so if you can get a decent stretch of highway between those speeds, and get the MDS activated you'll see the numbers go up significantly.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
2020 Rebel bone stock 8,000 miles on OD. Got 18.4 MPG by the end of the trip today 240 miles round trip, had cruise set @ 65, not on the interstate. Normally on the interstate going to work I set @ 74 and it drops down to maybe 16.3 if I'm lucky. Maybe 65 is the magic number for the ETorque and 3:91 gears ?
Is that by the dash, or by hand calculation? Because the dash mpg is usually off some and how it calculates it is still a mystery to me. You could have actually gotten better fuel economy than the dash indicates. Check my math on this thread and you'll see what I mean.

You are more proof that a light foot and steady speeds make reasonable fuel economy possible.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Speed limits in Canada are so much slower than most states. I drive across Ontario quite often and the main highways which can have as many as 6 lanes in each direction are 100km/h (62mph). North of Toronto the speed limit slows down to 90km/h. You can usually do 10km/h over the limit without risking a speeding ticket.

Oddly enough I upgraded from my 2010 GMC Sierra to the 2020 rebel with the eco diesel for the massive fuel savings on long 3200+km trips.

Burnzie

Reaction score
Is that by the dash, or by hand calculation? Because the dash mpg is usually off some and how it calculates it is still a mystery to me. You could have actually gotten better fuel economy than the dash indicates. Check my math on this thread and you'll see what I mean.

You are more proof that a light foot and steady speeds make reasonable fuel economy possible.
By the dash.

U

User_3336

You mean 3.92 axle ratio/gearing?

1awesomelaw

Reaction score
I have a question my son is getting ready to finally order a new ram, he asked if he isn't towing much as to which rear axle he should purchase ?

3.21, or the 6.55 or the 3.92? Moderate rural driving , mostly high way driving he shall be doing. Thoughts ?

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
I have a question my son is getting ready to finally order a new ram, he asked if he isn't towing much as to which rear axle he should purchase ?

3.21, or the 6.55 or the 3.92? Moderate rural driving , mostly high way driving he shall be doing. Thoughts ?
For highway driving I'd definitely say 3.21 - they will still do fine towing moderate weight on occasion. 3.92s provide a little more low end torque/acceleration. There really isn't a huge difference. Lots of very informative threads out there with more detail.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck is weird.. it seems in the 50-60mph range I'm in the high teens (dash indicated). If I bump it upto 65-75mph (the speed limit / speed the slow lane(s) normally drive) I drop to the high 15's - mid 16's mpg. Which sucks as this is 90% of my driving.

Now the odd part.. if I speed 75-85mph I can see the high teens again. 🤔

Unfortunately running 10+ mph over usually doesn't last, so I cannot get a tank avg going that fast.

Scram1500

Reaction score

Having owned both, the 3.92 is fun off the line but suffers on the highway. Unless your son is going for larger tires 3.21 is the best bet

Edit: 3.55 is only available on the Pentastar V6 and oddly enough the TRX (only ratio they offer for TRX)

1awesomelaw

Reaction score
Having owned both, the 3.92 is fun off the line but suffers on the highway. Unless your son is going for larger tires 3.21 is the best bet

Edit: 3.55 is only available on the Pentastar V6 and oddly enough the TRX (only ratio they offer for TRX)
3.92 it is !

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
3.92 it is !
If that's the way you want to go - go for it. Personally, I don't pay much attention to MPG as my truck is not a daily driver and is used mostly for pleasure.
But based on the responses to your question so far, you are choosing the opposite of what everyone has suggested based on the use your son's truck will see. If he wants a bit more pep of the line, go for it. If he plans to do a lot of highway driving and will be using the truck for more practical purposes, make sure you have done your research so you'll be able to best guide your son. These trucks are expensive, just trying to help your son to be happy with his purchase.

U

User_3336

I personally would not have a Ram 1500 without the 3.92. I can do without 4x4, but the 3.21 just too much gear hunting. Mine just purrs at 8th most of the time.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Yea, I know from past jeeps and trucks it is not an rpm thing for gas milage, it is how hard the motor works. Jeeps gear up (numerically) and much improve mileage when lugging larger tires. Bump up to a 37 inch tire and change the stock 3:73 gears to 4:56 and milage improves because you are not fighting the tires. Granted, a Jeeps milage is awful anyway with the aerodynamics of a brick.

How does the fuel calculator work in our trucks? I notice it changes constantly. The on in my Lincoln remains pretty consistent. I believe that one calculates fron the time you set it and keeps track from there. Does the Ram keep resetting at certain intervals?

Burnzie

Reaction score
You can re-set it manually whenever you want

Users who are viewing this thread