5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best method for storing items that you always keep in the cab?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a rugged storage bin in the back of the bed and use a tiedown to keep it in place in the very back corner (closer to the cab). It is under a tri fold cover so unseen and unheard because of the tie down. Downside is it is not easy access vs. under seat storage, but good for emergency stuff or stuff you use occasionally. I keep towels, extra tie downs, blanket, etc. there. Rest of stuff you need in a pinch (flashlight, knife, battery jumpers, etc. are under the seats. Great having a truck but without a Rambox hard to keep stuff in the bed. View attachment 76590

Get a heavy duty bed mat, nothing will move around in your bed with it (you can stop strapping things down), it also protects the finish of delicate items you don't want your sand paper like bedliner damaging.

This is the one I have, best $90 I've ever spent: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MRKYQP5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SD Rebel

Reaction score
New SUV to pickup owner here, looking for advice.

Any thoughts on the best method for storing items that you permanently keep in your cab? For example, I always want to have my winter coat, a raincoat, a bicycle helmet, a couple of tools, a soccer ball, and some books with me.

What is the best way to store them so they don’t roll around? I was thinking I might buy a big plastic bin like the one in the pic below and set it on the floor in the back. Only issue is how to make it not slide around.

Any thoughts/ideas/recommendations?

Thanks!

847170002287_11369804.jpg

Don't keep them inside, get a decent truck box. I have a nice aluminum low profile truck box that stores a ton of items. Most are universal, lockable and weather proof and they don't require any drilling for installation.

Truck Box 1.jpg

Truck Box 2.jpg

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Sodahammer

Reaction score
New SUV to pickup owner here, looking for advice.

Any thoughts on the best method for storing items that you permanently keep in your cab? For example, I always want to have my winter coat, a raincoat, a bicycle helmet, a couple of tools, a soccer ball, and some books with me.

What is the best way to store them so they don’t roll around? I was thinking I might buy a big plastic bin like the one in the pic below and set it on the floor in the back. Only issue is how to make it not slide around.

Any thoughts/ideas/recommendations?

Thanks!

847170002287_11369804.jpg
I got a cheap soft tonneau for the bed, a rubber bed mat and keep two of these boxes in the bed for storage. It works perfectly. Nothing slides on the rubber mat. One is for truck stuff; ropes, tools, emergency stuff, etc. and the other is for groceries and rando things that I don't need in the cab. Everything stays dry too.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use a BedRug Bedmat, VW Monster Mat cargo blocks purchased cheap on ebay and a hard plastic tote. The VW cargo blocks have super heavy duty velcro on the bottom that sticks extremely well to the BedRug material. Nothing will slide around when four of them are placed around a tote or other object. I'll send picks later but below are the links for what I use and it works perfectly. I've used this setup for the last ten years and no issues. It worked even better once I had my Leer topper installed. NOTE: The size of your tote may vary based upon what you want to store in it but the key is to ensure it has a locking top for wind protection.

Classic Bed Mat | Bed Liners & Mats - Bedrug | Bedrug (Husky Liner also makes one which is the exact same material)

Volkswagen 8 Piece CarGo Management System Organizer Blocks Genuine VW BRAND NEW | eBay

COMMANDER 64-Gallon (256-Quart) Black Tote with Latching Lid in the Plastic Storage Totes department at Lowes.com

Scram1500

Reaction score
I have the WeatherTech underseat storage for my quad cab and it feels like they lost a step over the years. Du Ha is the way to go, may not look as pretty but it has more functional space and much better attachment system

Last edited:

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The DuHa looks deep. Can you access the shallow OEM one without lifting the seat?

Scram1500

Reaction score
I can barely reach in my WeatherTech without lifting the seat, it's about a 3 inch gap

BullyDawg

Reaction score
How does the Du Ha work with all weather floor mats? Can I still access the storage bins in the floor?

TheGRam

Reaction score
I have the under the seat storage bin for small things, a folding crate and Undercover Swing Cases in the bed filled with tow, jump and tire repair gear.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I use the two storage compartments under the rear cab floor, and the space under the rear seat.

I keep a portable mine compressor, a battery booster pack, booster cables, heavy duty reflective triangle set, spare AR mags, spare Glock mags, trauma kit, tourniquet, and a spare plate carrier.

Also carry a Husky backpack in the bed with miscellaneous tools for minor repairs.

Love how much storage space these things have!
Are you ensuring that you're ready for when the world comes to an end? :ROFLMAO:

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you ensuring that you're ready for when the world comes to an end? :ROFLMAO:
I don't know if that's what Neurobit is planning for, but he's the person to live next door to when it happens!

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045153 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread