5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best method for storing items that you always keep in the cab?

jastevenson

Reaction score
New SUV to pickup owner here, looking for advice.

Any thoughts on the best method for storing items that you permanently keep in your cab? For example, I always want to have my winter coat, a raincoat, a bicycle helmet, a couple of tools, a soccer ball, and some books with me.

What is the best way to store them so they don’t roll around? I was thinking I might buy a big plastic bin like the one in the pic below and set it on the floor in the back. Only issue is how to make it not slide around.

Any thoughts/ideas/recommendations?

Thanks!

847170002287_11369804.jpg

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep, under seat seat storage. if your truck didn't come with it then get a duhu under seat storage organizer or something similar.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m definitely using the under seat storage. I also have the small bins on the second row on the floor.

However, what I also wanted to do, is to get a bed extender, and when it’s folded inside the bed, I’m going to get some storage containers for that as well, since I have a soft trifold cover to cover up my bed.

Wanted to get the rambox, but didn’t find one. My old ram, I had the swing out box, and it was useful, but I had problems getting it to swing out.

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie, 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Du ha under seat storage or one of the other options weathertech, or husky etc. Du ha probably has the most usable storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jastevenson

Reaction score
I like the look of the DuHa box, but it seems relatively shallow. Was thinking that by using a big Rubbermaid-type box I could get something that is both wide and deep (I don’t need all three positions of my rear seat to be available for use, so I’m ok with having a box live on my floor permanently in one of the three seating positions.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m definitely using the under seat storage. I also have the small bins on the second row on the floor.

However, what I also wanted to do, is to get a bed extender, and when it’s folded inside the bed, I’m going to get some storage containers for that as well, since I have a soft trifold cover to cover up my bed.

Wanted to get the rambox, but didn’t find one. My old ram, I had the swing out box, and it was useful, but I had problems getting it to swing out.

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie, 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I'm a huge fan of the quad and tri- fold hard tonneau covers...mainly for the security reasons.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
New SUV to pickup owner here, looking for advice.

Any thoughts on the best method for storing items that you permanently keep in your cab? For example, I always want to have my winter coat, a raincoat, a bicycle helmet, a couple of tools, a soccer ball, and some books with me.

What is the best way to store them so they don’t roll around? I was thinking I might buy a big plastic bin like the one in the pic below and set it on the floor in the back. Only issue is how to make it not slide around.

Any thoughts/ideas/recommendations?

Thanks!

847170002287_11369804.jpg
If it's got handles...use bungii cords to secure it in the bed. If that's what you really want to use..

thetalonguy

Reaction score
Good Thread... I have a quad cab, and had no space issues of having a QC Ram for the last 4 years.

Now I have a newborn, 1 month old, and just started having some big spacing issues. The car seat and base takes up major back seat room. It was a 60 degree day in NY, so we had to pack in a stroller, which didn’t fit in well with baby, mother and very small dog.

On the way back from our small venture, I put the stroller in the bed and tied it down.

I’m thinking I need to utilize the bed space more with a cover and some kind of reasonably sized storage system. Would like it to be stable, but easily removable when I use the bed for other things.

Any good experiences? Plus, it’s a lease, so can’t do permanent or expensive. Next Truck will be a Ram, but don’t know if parts will not fit.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I use the two storage compartments under the rear cab floor, and the space under the rear seat.

I keep a portable mine compressor, a battery booster pack, booster cables, heavy duty reflective triangle set, spare AR mags, spare Glock mags, trauma kit, tourniquet, and a spare plate carrier.

Also carry a Husky backpack in the bed with miscellaneous tools for minor repairs.

Love how much storage space these things have!

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used to pack all the **** under the seat in the OEM storage area and those under the floor bins. ...but inevitably I would have rattles, clunks, etc when something shifted or was moved around by someone other than me... Ended up getting a ratcheting load bar and a cheap Craftsman (I think) tote to stick everything in the bed. It's 'secure' back there under the BakFlip MX4 cover and zero noises. Only downside, is I have to open the cover and climb into the bed anytime I need something in there. The only things I keep under the seat now is an umbrella, Ice scraper, and a pair of work gloves.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Almost forgot. I keep a foldable crate on the bed where I transport pizza, hot take out, , etc, to keep the cabin free of food smells, etc. ;)

C4C30376-0B25-42A6-BDE7-5D8404420850.jpeg

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good Thread... I have a quad cab, and had no space issues of having a QC Ram for the last 4 years.

Now I have a newborn, 1 month old, and just started having some big spacing issues. The car seat and base takes up major back seat room. It was a 60 degree day in NY, so we had to pack in a stroller, which didn’t fit in well with baby, mother and very small dog.

On the way back from our small venture, I put the stroller in the bed and tied it down.

I’m thinking I need to utilize the bed space more with a cover and some kind of reasonably sized storage system. Would like it to be stable, but easily removable when I use the bed for other things.

Any good experiences? Plus, it’s a lease, so can’t do permanent or expensive. Next Truck will be a Ram, but don’t know if parts will not fit.
Get a tri fold soft bed cover. I have the Tyger one, it was relatively low cost, and it works great. Babies are the reason I moved from a quad cab to a crew cab. I had to make the choice of either having my son sit with his knees touching his chest or my wife sit with her knees crammed under the glove box when we all tried to get in my old truck.

Wsmith

Reaction score

I have a hard fold cover and a bed extender that I keep flipped toward the cab. Awesome for anything not too large that you don't want sliding around.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Get a tri fold soft bed cover. I have the Tyger one, it was relatively low cost, and it works great. Babies are the reason I moved from a quad cab to a crew cab. I had to make the choice of either having my son sit with his knees touching his chest or my wife sit with her knees crammed under the glove box when we all tried to get in my old truck.
+1 on the Tyger. Bought one for my son's Tacoma, and it's just as good as my RAM OEM Mopar.
Very high quality and seal.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I like the look of the DuHa box, but it seems relatively shallow. Was thinking that by using a big Rubbermaid-type box I could get something that is both wide and deep (I don’t need all three positions of my rear seat to be available for use, so I’m ok with having a box live on my floor permanently in one of the three seating positions.

You should be able to find some kind of tote that will fit back there and not slide around much. They come in many sizes and varieties. You could always anchor it to the tie-down rings that are on the rear floor to keep it from sliding around. Or you could also use something like this if you don't mind removing the floor mat on the side you're wanting to keep it, to expose the carpet...

RRRAAAAMMMM2020

Reaction score
I have two young ones and a crew cab is an absolute must. When I bought my truck I decided to go with Multi Tailgate and RamBox as no useable underseat storage due to car seats. It has worked out great so far

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I can't lift my seats at all unless I take a car seat out, but I've cut down on the stuff I store in the truck that take up a lot of space. I keep the older one's booster on the single seat so I can pull that one our easier if I need to lift a seat. Kind of wish I had gotten the Ram boxes, but I don't know if I could have handled the possible warping issues (would drive me insane).

SJC5

Reaction score
I have a rugged storage bin in the back of the bed and use a tiedown to keep it in place in the very back corner (closer to the cab). It is under a tri fold cover so unseen and unheard because of the tie down. Downside is it is not easy access vs. under seat storage, but good for emergency stuff or stuff you use occasionally. I keep towels, extra tie downs, blanket, etc. there. Rest of stuff you need in a pinch (flashlight, knife, battery jumpers, etc. are under the seats. Great having a truck but without a Rambox hard to keep stuff in the bed. IMG_6397[1].JPG

Users who are viewing this thread