5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Hard Tonneau Cover for 2019 1500 5'7" bed

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
New to the site and first time Ram/Truck owner... Looking for some information/recommendations on the best fitting and quality hard and foldable tonneau covers on the market. Look at the Bakflip MX4 but really dont want to spend $1200 after tax and shipping. Let me know your thoughts! TIA
Check out the Buy&Sell thread on here. I saw someone selling an Extang Xceed Cover. That's what I have on mine and its awesome. Definitely different than the other low profile covers out there.

Morenar

Reaction score
It was really easy. The MX4 rails slide over the stock cargo rails. I had an issue on one side, driver or passenger I can't quite remember not that it matters. One rail slid on without issue just a few little pushes. The other rail was tighter, I wasn't able to budge it with pushing it on so I just grabbed a small rubber mallet and a few taps later it was on. I did use some WD40 on the stock rails prior to installation. After the rails are on it's just a matter of lining up the cover. The total install time for me was around 20 minutes.

I actually like how the rails mount on this cover compared to my last one. No clamps to come loose over time and I pity the person who tries to remove those rails!
Thanks. Good to know what to look for. You wouldn't happen to have the instructions it came with handy?

Morenar

Reaction score
Thanks. Good to know what to look for. You wouldn't happen to have the instructions it came with handy?
Nevermind. I was able to find it. :) It's the same as the 2019. It is a supplemental guide that comes with it. Did you have to use the seal strip at front of the bed or did you have a spray in liner and didn't?

HydroRebel

Reaction score
Nevermind. I was able to find it. :) It's the same as the 2019. It is a supplemental guide that comes with it. Did you have to use the seal strip at front of the bed or did you have a spray in liner and didn't?
Glad you found the instructions cause mine went straight in the garbage after install but to be honest I didn't use them as it's pretty obvious where everything goes. My truck came with the factory spray in bed liner but you will need the weather-stripping at the front of the box regardless.

pounds

Reaction score
I still like my Lomax. Sturdy and low profile.

20200323_152202-jpg.50278

20200323_152211-jpg.50279

20200323_152147-jpg.50280

This is a great cover. Unfortunately it leaks with a spray on bed liner. But, I bought mine to keep stuff secure and out of sight which it does a fine job doing.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm still happy with my Lomax cover. It's low profile and all the latches and moving parts still work well. I only get minor leaking around the tailgate which is to be expected if you don't have a tailgate seal.

LMT5G

Reaction score
I like Gatortrax. It's lockable, keeps the contents dry and I am able to remove it by myself when needed.

Nice! I believe GatorTrax and Retrax are the same tonneau covers although from different manufacturers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bcpong

Reaction score
Will be in the market as well for a tonneau hopefully soon. It seems that most people here have trifolds as opposed to anything that rolls. Was looking at the MX4 vs the Revolver ... what don't I know/why are there more people with trifolds?

LMT5G

Reaction score
Will be in the market as well for a tonneau hopefully soon. It seems that most people here have trifolds as opposed to anything that rolls. Was looking at the MX4 vs the Revolver ... what don't I know/why are there more people with trifolds?

I think it boils down to preference and price. Rollers are also quite a bit more expensive depending on what you get. Some rollers range from $1,200 to almost $2,000 depending the configuration (polycarbonate vs aluminum slats).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any issues with the install, alignment of rails or leaks? The local installer I was going to use said he stopped carrying anything bakflip or undercover this week due to quality issues as well as warranty.
I was having Line-X spray in liner put in at the same time, so they installed the MX4 for free. So, I don’t have any experience with install. I’ve been happy with it so far. Came with a 5 year warranty and since I had it installed at an authorized BakFlip dealer/installer, they said I have a 10 year warranty. Not sure I really believe that, but at least it has a 5 year warranty from BakFlip.
Any issues with the install, alignment of rails or leaks? The local installer I was going to use said he stopped carrying anything bakflip or undercover this week due to quality issues as well as warranty.

Maconi

Reaction score
I got a trifold because the rollers take up bed space (the canister that sits underneath the rear window). I can take my trifold off and sit it in the backseat floor if I need maximum bed space where you don't really have that option with rollers (not easy to just rip the canister out).

That and the Lomax trifold was more low-profile/sleek (no visible rails) which I liked.

tclapp0316

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the information and recommendations. Lots of research to do on the products suggested. I will update when I make a decision.

Rupp

Reaction score
For you guys that have the Lomax, where are you finding the best prices? Also did you get the Matt Black or the Black Urethane?

imolar

Reaction score
For you guys that have the Lomax, where are you finding the best prices? Also did you get the Matt Black or the Black Urethane?
I only shopped a few places but Luke at Truck Alterations was the best price. Matte black finish.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread