5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best exhaust upgrade

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I was wondering if the Flowmaster FX would be a better route - but another $400 ish "crossing fingers", I don't know. Maybe if I can pawn the MBRP off and recoup a little then I can give it a try. After all, the hard work is now out of the way and can swap these direct fit mufflers pretty quickly.

My wife took the truck for a spin, she doesn't like it (figured) but said it's not as bad as she thought it would be. She just stated, I'm not a 21 year old anymore and I'm not trying to be noticed leaving the line on green lights.

I do enjoy that HEMI sound though....boy it's nice and wish I was 25 years younger when I would have really enjoyed it.
I bought the muffler on Amazon for $40 and had a shop put it on for like $150. Way cheaper than the kit.

I’m sure you could sell the mbrp

Last edited:

BigJocko

Reaction score
I will take it to the city tomorrow for another spin, there was some difference between the two modes for sure. Maybe go without MDS tomorrow and hear the difference. Should be fun to rip the throttle on this in the parking garage!
Turning off MDS is an overall improvement - interestingly to turn it off I just tapped the gear limiter down one while driving and then back to 8. It stayed on 8 for the remainder of the drive home and I tried to get it into MDS “eco” and couldn’t. I believe I had one more up to go to engage MDS. Going to drive a little more on the highway and see what I think. My 11 yr old son thinks it sounds cool, so I have that going for me.

MO Rebel

Reaction score
Turning off MDS is an overall improvement - interestingly to turn it off I just tapped the gear limiter down one while driving and then back to 8. It stayed on 8 for the remainder of the drive home and I tried to get it into MDS “eco” and couldn’t. I believe I had one more up to go to engage MDS. Going to drive a little more on the highway and see what I think. My 11 yr old son thinks it sounds cool, so I have that going for me.
Yes, you can disable MDS as soon as you put it in Drive buy pushing the (-) gear limiter button once and then subsequently pushing the (+) button until you get it to 8. Tow/haul also deactivates MDS, but also changes the shift strategy to hold gears longer shifting up and to downshift quicker when slowing down. I always disable it as soon as I shift into Drive. Anytime the shifter is moved from Drive, it returns MDS to the active setting and must be disabled again with the -/+ gear limiter buttons (it is not tied to ignition cycle).

mrclortho

Reaction score
Last week I installed the muffler delete kit from B2 Fabrication and kept the stock resonators. The truck sounds very deep and throaty but not annoyingly loud. My wife passed me on the highway at 70mph with the top down on her Jeep and she could not hear a difference. But, get on the throttle and it is a deep, glorious sound with no popping. I am not really a loud exhaust guy and was concerned it would be too much. I was ready to replace it with the kit that contains a muffler, but found it is not needed.

A test was last Sunday when I towed my 7klbs trailer for 200 miles on the highway and the sound did not bother me at all. You can hear it but it does not have that 'drone frequency' if that makes sense. In contrast, my buddy has a F150 with a Flowmaster that drives me nuts.

Overall, for $230, I am very happy.

JayzRam

Reaction score
I installed the MBRP Stainless single side exit. Love the sound and in winter the lack of condensation that messes up the Tailights/camera and back up sensors. Probably saved 30# as well

Gunner69

Reaction score
I installed the MBRP-XL on my new 2022 5.7 several months ago. Install was easy (Bolt on), but I left all three resonators. The sound is much better than stock, without all the crackle and pop of some systems. It has no droning per se at any speed, and on the highway all I hear is a low rumble, but not too loud for comfort.

I have gotten into the habit of turning off the MDS, especially on the highway as the exhaust sounds like crap. I was wondering if anyone has deleted or changed the two rear resonators and the effect it has had. I considered removing them to allow a bit more sound, but would like some feedback before I pull the trigger. I trust the forum more than some exhaust shop monkey.

cmejatt

Reaction score
I love my carven cat back. I’ll attach a cold start video. I think it has the best idle sound out of all the systems I’ve heard in person.
Any drone?

I love how carven sounds on start up and acceleration.

How’s it at highway speeds? Do you hear the exhaust or it’s good?

Confused about getting carven or B2F oval muffler replacement.

CNC99

Reaction score
Any drone?

I don’t get to do too much highway driving lately. But the times I do get on the highway it’s not bad, 70-80mph. I don’t know if I can say it truly “drones” but you do hear it. It’s got a pretty consistent tone cruising that I don’t find annoying or intrusive in the slightest. I can still relax and enjoy the ride, my wife said she honestly doesn’t really notice it and we can have a conversation no problem. If I have the radio off I’d say it’s no louder than my tire noise which is pretty quiet. I have Goodyear Wrangler TrailRunner A/Ts. All that to say, I don’t think you will mind it at cruising speeds on the highway at least around 80 mph. Now if you live in a hilly or mountainous area then obviously you will have a lot louder experience given you will constantly be in the throttle going up hills/mountains.

Honestly I love every aspect of the Carven system. But my 2 favorites are the idle and the tips. The idle has a great rumble and almost choppy sound to it. And I absolutely love a good choppy V8. I wish I could listen to this system with some headers and a true chop cam…

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any drone?

Carven on the hwy will rumble but only as you’re getting on the hwy once you find that speed 60-75 it’s quiet. With 3.92 gears at least.

Bobbiegunn

Reaction score
I have the AWE OFG and had the Borla S-Type previously. Way happier with AWE. Quality, fit, and finish are really impressive. I also like that it is WAY quieter in-cab. Very happy with the swap.
I also installed the AWE and the sound is amazing with absolutely no DRONE

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
For $375 a local guy did a full catback with a flowmaster (sorry forget which one) and it sounds just as good (to me) as the borla that I was thinking about getting :D

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For $375 a local guy did a full catback with a flowmaster (sorry forget which one) and it sounds just as good (to me) as the borla that I was thinking about getting :D
I mean, if you think a Flowmaster weld in muffler sounds "as good as" a full Borla cat back, I guess it's a good thing you saved your money.

Users who are viewing this thread