5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best exhaust upgrade

GWillings

Reaction score
I turn MDS off every time I shift into Drive. I didn’t buy a V4.
I am growing very tired of playing with buttons after I put the truck into gear. I am in between getting a tuner to get rid of MDS, or the resonator delete to get rid of the droning cause by the MDS. I am past 3 years and more than 30K miles on the truck so warranty I am not worried about, not even the slightest.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am growing very tired of playing with buttons after I put the truck into gear. I am in between getting a tuner to get rid of MDS, or the resonator delete to get rid of the droning cause by the MDS. I am past 3 years and more than 30K miles on the truck so warranty I am not worried about, not even the slightest.
If you think doing a resonator delete will get rid of drone, you are in for a shock. The purpose of the resonators is to help prevent it. Your choice of muffler is the issues not the resonators

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just received the mbrp 5143.
This would be my first exhaust install.
It seems used to me or is this how these come from testing. Welds look fine as far as I can tell. I have seen people purchase used systems/kits so assuming being use wouldn't be an issue

Attachments

• 20230311_171057.jpg
    20230311_171057.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 20230311_171008.jpg
    20230311_171008.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 75
  • 20230311_214000.jpg
    20230311_214000.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 76

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It seems used to me or is this how these come from testing. Welds look fine as far as I can tell. I have seen people purchase used systems/kits so assuming being use wouldn't be an issue
Looks new to me. Those carbon marks on inside are from the welds

MO Rebel

Reaction score
That doesn’t look used to me either. I don’t have any pics inside the pipes, but yes the heat from the welds will make it look like it may have been used.
F2600B99-ED1C-44C7-BAA6-BAF50C8FD491.jpeg

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did my install on yesterday.
I am liking the tone a lot. The mds kicking in it's more noticiable now but its not bothering me. I can hear some drone but its minimal to my ears and once the radio is on i can't really tell. Maybe once its broken in, since it might get louder the drone might also get louder. I can report back .
Left the rear resonators on and plan on keeping them on. My truck doesn't come with a front resonator since its a 2021.Took me an hour but i just went slow. Its simple even without a hanger removal tool. I can see somebody taking half the time to get it done.
This is a video after i finish the install. Sound is much better in person than in the video

Attachments

• 20230312_151209.jpg
    20230312_151209.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 20230312_162127.jpg
    20230312_162127.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 37

tabber02

Reaction score
went to a local exhaust shop here today. tech and advisor recommended i try installing a flowmaster super 10 (i was asking about installing the outlaw kit). so… gave that a whirl, left all the exhaust in… just cut out the muffler and installed that. very happy and saved a boat load.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
went to a local exhaust shop here today. tech and advisor recommended i try installing a flowmaster super 10 (i was asking about installing the outlaw kit). so… gave that a whirl, left all the exhaust in… just cut out the muffler and installed that. very happy and saved a boat load.
Looks like the Outlaw kit uses the super 10 muffler based on pictures

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
cost on my end was almost the same on the options I considered. A full cat back is too much for me.
$250 for a carven muffler only - welded at local shop
$274 free shipping, no tax for the mbrp kit
Initially I had consider the outlaw as well but liked the tone of mbrp better and it turned out great. Think the outlaw is suppose to be louder than the mbrp

BigJocko

Reaction score
I’m running the MBRP 5143 and like the sound a lot. It is noticeably louder than stock, but no where close to being obnoxious. It has a nice throaty sound, and there is zero drone at any speed/rpm. It has a nice quiet rumble at idle, but really wakes up when you get on it. The only thing I’ve noticed is you can hear a slight hissing at idle when standing directly behind the truck which is caused by the rear resonators. I thought about cutting those out, but I like the sound so much otherwise, I don’t think I want it any louder. You can definitely hear it in the cab with windows up, but can still carry on a conversation. I’ve had several people comment on how good it sounds riding in the cab. I bought mine from Summit Racing for $289.99. It’s a super easy cut and clamp application.
Just installed the MBRP - product is fine, but I must be getting old, can’t handle the cabin rumble. It’s just too much for me and I like a quiet cabin on long road trips. the MBRP sounds awesome, I really like it but as stated I’m going back to stock. 😔

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just installed the MBRP - product is fine, but I must be getting old, can’t handle the cabin rumble. It’s just too much for me and I like a quiet cabin on long road trips. the MBRP sounds awesome, I really like it but as stated I’m going back to stock. 😔
I’m getting old too. Flow fx has a really quiet cabin when cruising. Can’t even tell it’s not stock. I still have the resonators too.

MO Rebel

Reaction score
Someone on here complained about some drone when MDS kicks in, but I always turn MDS off as soon as I put it in Drive. I’ve never noticed any drone in the cabin at any speed/rpm combination, just the sweet sound of that V8. That sound never gets old to me.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is louder than expected more towards the aggressive side for a muffler swap only but to my liking, agree with you the sound is awesome. My long trips are mainly L.A. to Vegas, first one of the year is in April and May. So I will get to test it out and see if it bothers me. As a daily I find it perfect and hardly notice any drone or unwanted noise specially with radio on. I know these are two different things but I also never found the noise from mud tires bothersome, lol
Like @theblet mentioned a more moderate muffler would be a better fit it seems. Flow fx, B2 fabrication moderate muffler.

BigJocko

Reaction score
I’m getting old too. Flow fx has a really quiet cabin when cruising. Can’t even tell it’s not stock. I still have the resonators too.
I was wondering if the Flowmaster FX would be a better route - but another $400 ish "crossing fingers", I don't know. Maybe if I can pawn the MBRP off and recoup a little then I can give it a try. After all, the hard work is now out of the way and can swap these direct fit mufflers pretty quickly.

My wife took the truck for a spin, she doesn't like it (figured) but said it's not as bad as she thought it would be. She just stated, I'm not a 21 year old anymore and I'm not trying to be noticed leaving the line on green lights.

I do enjoy that HEMI sound though....boy it's nice and wish I was 25 years younger when I would have really enjoyed it.

BigJocko

Reaction score
Someone on here complained about some drone when MDS kicks in, but I always turn MDS off as soon as I put it in Drive. I’ve never noticed any drone in the cabin at any speed/rpm combination, just the sweet sound of that V8. That sound never gets old to me.
I will take it to the city tomorrow for another spin, there was some difference between the two modes for sure. Maybe go without MDS tomorrow and hear the difference. Should be fun to rip the throttle on this in the parking garage!

Users who are viewing this thread