5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best exhaust upgrade

Kenco037

Reaction score
22 1500 5.7L. Looking to replace muffler. Was wanting the MRBP S5143 3" in and out. I've heard clips of them. But also heard Solo Performance muffler delete. Any thoughts? What is everyone else using for a better sound? Not looking for loud, just a better deeper sound.

sep1006

Reaction score
Borla Atak. or S Type, for a slightly less massively aggressive cat back. I've done both, 3 times on 3 different 5th Gens

What he said, Borla S-Type is just what your looking for. Not overly loud but definitely a deeper aggressive sound.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree, super subjective questions based on how each person defines “better/best”. I’m just going to put the Ram GT exhaust on mine & call it a day.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
22 1500 5.7L. Looking to replace muffler. Was wanting the MRBP S5143 3" in and out. I've heard clips of them. But also heard Solo Performance muffler delete. Any thoughts? What is everyone else using for a better sound? Not looking for loud, just a better deeper sound.
its like asking us, whats the perfect women for you.... its all in your tast.... listen to them and choose what you like sound the best

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was just going to say... that's some of the best advice I've heard on women. 😄

As for truck exhaust... I would like to upgrade to something with a little more rumble, but youtube audio does nothing for me. Usually makes a good setup sound like crap.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Exhaust is a very subjective subject. You will get many different answers. From what ive read/seen here and in Facebook groups, most who do just a muffler swap have drone. Those who do full "cat back" systems are happier with their decision.

I love my Borla ATAK. It's not loud inside the cab, except when accelerating hard, and has zero drone that I have encountered. Yet, it's loud outside when you want it to be. When I drove down last Tuesday to drop my truck off at bumper shop, my wife was following me. At one point she was three cars behind me, so Id say at least 1/8 mile back, and was still able to hear when I accelerated to pass a vehicle, but inside the cab I was still able to hold a normal volume phone conversation with her

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was browsing GT exhaust sound online & surprised by the lack of videos. I’ll have to search for one on a lot nearby I suppose.

Jsvt3

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have the AWE OFG and had the Borla S-Type previously. Way happier with AWE. Quality, fit, and finish are really impressive. I also like that it is WAY quieter in-cab. Very happy with the swap.

SueHarada

Reaction score
I dropped out the bazillion lb. boat anchor of a muffler and put on the Carven, very mellow tone huge weight saving gain and more room under the truck for heat dissipation if any. My next trick is the Flowmaster American Thunder Axle-Back Dual Exhaust System with Black Tips; Rear Exit. Not too crazy about the black tips, but changeable. My only concern, coupled with the Carven, how much more DB am I gonna develop?

Attachments

• exitback.jpg
    exitback.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 38

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I dropped out the bazillion lb. boat anchor of a muffler and put on the Carven, very mellow tone huge weight saving gain and more room under the truck for heat dissipation if any. My next trick is the Flowmaster American Thunder Axle-Back Dual Exhaust System with Black Tips; Rear Exit. Not too crazy about the black tips, but changeable. My only concern, coupled with the Carven, how much more DB am I gonna develop?
If you are going to cut the tips of an replace anyways why not just have an exhaust shop make those pipes with the tips you want. Probably cheaper in long run to do it once.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
there is a few video on youtube about resonator delet kit, it would give you a good idea about the sound,

the black tips are good looking in my opinion :)

SGMBailey

Reaction score
I went with B2 Fabricators (aggressive, the round one). Extremly pleased.

Last edited:

MO Rebel

Reaction score
I’m running the MBRP 5143 and like the sound a lot. It is noticeably louder than stock, but no where close to being obnoxious. It has a nice throaty sound, and there is zero drone at any speed/rpm. It has a nice quiet rumble at idle, but really wakes up when you get on it. The only thing I’ve noticed is you can hear a slight hissing at idle when standing directly behind the truck which is caused by the rear resonators. I thought about cutting those out, but I like the sound so much otherwise, I don’t think I want it any louder. You can definitely hear it in the cab with windows up, but can still carry on a conversation. I’ve had several people comment on how good it sounds riding in the cab. I bought mine from Summit Racing for $289.99. It’s a super easy cut and clamp application.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m running the MBRP 5143 and like the sound a lot. It is noticeably louder than stock, but no where close to being obnoxious. It has a nice throaty sound, and there is zero drone at any speed/rpm. It has a nice quiet rumble at idle, but really wakes up when you get on it. The only thing I’ve noticed is you can hear a slight hissing at idle when standing directly behind the truck which is caused by the rear resonators. I thought about cutting those out, but I like the sound so much otherwise, I don’t think I want it any louder. You can definitely hear it in the cab with windows up, but can still carry on a conversation. I’ve had several people comment on how good it sounds riding in the cab. I bought mine from Summit Racing for $289.99. It’s a super easy cut and clamp application.
You can eliminate that hissing by plugging the weep holes in the resonators. I have used atv and also jb weld, both worked fine

Jorangel87

Reaction score
I have magnaflow muffler with b2 fabrication Res delete with 5” tips, sounds
Great and perfect for
The family

Kenco037

Reaction score
So for an update, I went with the MBRP 5143 muffler replacement. I'm liking it the more I drive. It took some time getting used to. It is somewhat louder then stock rumble. More throaty. No drone. You definitely know you have something there. Cold startup is loud, but mellows out soon after. Then you just hear it while getting on it. Sounds nice at highway speeds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online