5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Exhaust System 2022 1500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi

TheLegend

Reaction score
Hello all! Wanted to get all the experts opinions on what the best exhaust system would be for my new truck? What I’m wanting is something that isn’t going to wake up everyone in the morning but I want that Hemi to show what it can do. Also, I would like it to where I can still hear my radio and talk to passengers. My 2 year old and wife loves riding in my truck and talking to me if that gives y’all some idea. I was looking at either the Borla S-Type or the AWE 0FG but it’s hard to tell the actual noise of it from videos so was looking for everyone’s opinion? What are y’all’s opinions?

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
"The best" is very subjective. Everyone is going to tell you their choice is the best because they like what they spent their money on. My exhaust is stock still but if and when I decide on changing it I think I'm going to the stock RAM GT exhaust. It's got a throatier sound that's not over the top.

Hawkshot99

Reaction score
Stock is great. By far the loudest stock exaustnive ever had with a nice throaty rumble, it's noticeable when I get on it, but doesn't annoy me on the highway.

PaulieWalnutz

Reaction score
Hello all! Wanted to get all the experts opinions on what the best exhaust system would be for my new truck? What I’m wanting is something that isn’t going to wake up everyone in the morning but I want that Hemi to show what it can do. Also, I would like it to where I can still hear my radio and talk to passengers. My 2 year old and wife loves riding in my truck and talking to me if that gives y’all some idea. I was looking at either the Borla S-Type or the AWE 0FG but it’s hard to tell the actual noise of it from videos so was looking for everyone’s opinion? What are y’all’s opinions?
Just installed borla s type and i love it but for me it probably is too loud/obnoxious on cold starts when I leave my house at 4:50 am for work. My neighbors bedroom is right next to my driveway.

TheLegend

Reaction score
Just installed borla s type and i love it but for me it probably is too loud/obnoxious on cold starts when I leave my house at 4:50 am for work. My neighbors bedroom is right next to my driveway.
Paulie thank you for the feedback this is very helpful for me figure out what’s more in the range of what I might like. I as well get up early for work and I know I’d be pissed if someone woke me up or my baby for a matter of fact with their exhaust. Ha that is what I’ve read in a couple of videos after people install them they say it’s a little louder than that thought it would be but how does it sound in cabin?

TheLegend

Reaction score
Stock is great. By far the loudest stock exaustnive ever had with a nice throaty rumble, it's noticeable when I get on it, but doesn't annoy me on the highway.
I do agree with you for sure that my stock is even great for a “Norma stock” exhaust but I want to show it off a little more when it I come through with my new truck but not be annoyingly loud like a teenage boy like a T-Rex rumbling down the road lol!

TheLegend

Reaction score
"The best" is very subjective. Everyone is going to tell you their choice is the best because they like what they spent their money on. My exhaust is stock still but if and when I decide on changing it I think I'm going to the stock RAM GT exhaust. It's got a throatier sound that's not over the top.
Oh yeah for sure I know that’s part of why I put it in the title because I want everyone’s opinion of what they think to help me better make a choice. Thanks for the great advice I’ll have to check out the RAM GT exhaust.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I saw somewhere the GT exhaust IS a Borla s type. When you go to the Borla site, they mention they make exhaust for it either said Stellantis, or may have specifically said Ram.

TheLegend

Reaction score
I saw somewhere the GT exhaust IS a Borla s type. When you go to the Borla site, they mention they make exhaust for it either said Stellantis, or may have specifically said Ram.
Yeah I just checked it out earlier and it looks EXACTLY like the S-Type from Borla.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I wonder who sells it cheaper, Borla or a dealer.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The S type is the GT exhaust.

If you want something quieter you can get the Borla Touring, but I don't see the point.
Sounds like OP just wants the stock exhaust which sounds good but is quiet.
Anything else is going to be very loud on cold starts which is the whole point of an after market exhaust.

The S type is rather quiet inside the cab vs the ATAK which you can at crusiing speeds (but it sounds great).
The S type you can't really hear unless you listing for it, or when you are hamming it with gas.
I think the AWE 0FG is similar to the S type in volume, but a completely differnet sound.

Snowman039

Reaction score
Please do your research... The Ram GT Exhaust is NOT a Borla S-type exhaust. First pic is RAM GT exhaust, 2nd pic is the Borla.

Gt Exhaust.jpeg Screenshot 2023-02-19 130944.png

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I like my Borla ATAK. Can still hold normal conversations in the cab when driving. Zero drone. It is loud outside, especially when standing directly behind the truck. But I like that. As far as waking up the neighbors, as long as they have any decent insulation in the house it shouldn't be a problems unless their house is within a few feet of your truck. Which would be a ****ty place to live with houses that close together

Snowman039

Reaction score
It may not be exactly the S-type, but several have confirmed Borla does make the GTs exhaust for Ram.
MHO, I believe people are confusing the Mopar Cat Back Exhaust (77072520AA) which appears to be made by Borla and GT Exhaust.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I like my Borla ATAK. Can still hold normal conversations in the cab when driving. Zero drone. It is loud outside, especially when standing directly behind the truck. But I like that. As far as waking up the neighbors, as long as they have any decent insulation in the house it shouldn't be a problems unless their house is within a few feet of your truck. Which would be a ****ty place to live with houses that close together
I love my Borla ATAK also. It can depend on where you live.
Not a problem for me, but if I parked in front of a garage door by a foot or so, it would be extremely loud cold starts if you live in a tiny neighborhood. Great way to start the day with a simile to that sound imo.

Personally I don't care if I wake up one side of my neighbors, and my father lives on the other side and thinks it sounds good and he says "I always hear it when you leave for work"

As far as "zero drone" I wouldn't call it done really, but you can clearly hear the exhaust while driving with steady gas. With that said it has NEVER been a problem for me. Talking inside or music will always be louder with the windows up. I do know if I am using speaker phone people can hear it but no one has complained on a call about it. Using the built in truck's microphone I don't think anyone can hear it (they can hear the stupid wind noise if I have recirc on coming from my front passenger side though).

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I love my Borla ATAK also. It can depend on where you live.
Not a problem for me, but if I parked in front of a garage door by a foot or so, it would be extremely loud cold starts if you live in a tiny neighborhood. Great way to start the day with a simile to that sound imo.

Personally I don't care if I wake up one side of my neighbors, and my father lives on the other side and thinks it sounds good and he says "I always hear it when you leave for work"

As far as "zero drone" I wouldn't call it done really, but you can clearly hear the exhaust while driving with steady gas. With that said it has NEVER been a problem for me. Talking inside or music will always be louder with the windows up. I do know if I am using speaker phone people can hear it but no one has complained on a call about it. Using the built in truck's microphone I don't think anyone can hear it (they can hear the stupid wind noise if I have recirc on coming from my front passenger side though).
Yes, you can hear the exhaust but it doesn't interfer with normal conversation. Don't have to raise voice to talk.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
MHO, I believe people are confusing the Mopar Cat Back Exhaust (77072520AA) which appears to be made by Borla and GT Exhaust.

Pretty sure when the GT was released, it was advertised as having the Mopar Ram Air and Mopar catback installed from factory

Snowman039

Reaction score
Pretty sure when the GT was released, it was advertised as having the Mopar Ram Air and Mopar catback installed from factory
GT Exhaust components are different part numbers than the Cat Back and it also has resonators, where the cat back does not. Not trying to argue or prolong the conversation, just trying to make it clear for people to make the right decisions as the Cat Back system is louder than the GT....

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
GT Exhaust components are different part numbers than the Cat Back and it also has resonators, where the cat back does not. Not trying to argue or prolong the conversation, just trying to make it clear for people to make the right decisions as the Cat Back system is louder than the GT....
Factory installed parts usually have a different part number than Mopar accessory parts even if it's the same thing. It's an insurance thing.

Back in the day when the Dakota R/T was being made, factory installed wheels for the Dakota R/T were $350 each and had a separate part number than the same exact wheels being sold as Mopar accessories, which were only $150 each.

Users who are viewing this thread