5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best DIY method to blackout Tail light to achieve Rebel/black edition look?

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you want to shade the turn signals and reverse lights as well, you can put a tint kit overlay on from Luxe Auto Concepts.

I also tinted the third brake light after putting LED's in, it was blinding me when I was getting something out of the bed of the truck.
View attachment 58472
I went with the Medium Shade - Gloss on all.

Can you please take a photo up close of the sensor area and the area immediately around it and the backup light? I put on lumin X tint but it left the center in covered and it’s driving me nuts. I don’t want to risk screwing it up by painting and am hoping what you used solves my problem. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you want to shade the turn signals and reverse lights as well, you can put a tint kit overlay on from Luxe Auto Concepts.

I also tinted the third brake light after putting LED's in, it was blinding me when I was getting something out of the bed of the truck.
View attachment 58472
I went with the Medium Shade - Gloss on all.

After looking, does the kit only come with the highlighted pieces in this photo? If that’s the case then it doesn’t solve my issue. I was hoping their covers including the sensor housing

3a47449b53e95de77071057b5cc0f05a.jpg

jrr907

Reaction score
VHT is removable it is not a paint. It can be removed by applying GOOF Off Remover or Brake Cleaner/ Degreaser. Check youtube there are quite a few videos on removal process.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
VHT is removable it is not a paint. It can be removed by applying GOOF Off Remover or Brake Cleaner/ Degreaser. Check youtube there are quite a few videos on removal process.

Thanks. I read somewhere that it wasn’t. That makes the decision easy. Thanks!

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After looking, does the kit only come with the highlighted pieces in this photo? If that’s the case then it doesn’t solve my issue. I was hoping their covers including the sensor housing

3a47449b53e95de77071057b5cc0f05a.jpg

You are correct. It is only the highlighted pieces that the tint covers. You must have the blacked out tail light or paint them for the full effect.

awpratt79

Reaction score
On my last 2 trucks I Blacked out rear tails using a small amount of Dark Tint in Clear coat and spraying 3 coats with a professional type HVLP spray gun. Prepping lenses is crucial to good results. This results in a nice darkened lens that allows way more light through than the spray can tint.

Users who are viewing this thread