5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best DIY method to blackout Tail light to achieve Rebel/black edition look?

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I want center of my tail lights to be black like the picture below. What should I do? (My tail lights "Do Not" have Blind Spot/ Cross Path Detection)
CP4I7201.jpg

JP-Limited

Reaction score
I want center of my tail lights to be black like the picture below. What should I do? (My tail lights "Do Not" have Blind Spot/ Cross Path Detection)
View attachment 58083

90faf09e724ce424f929c7e9edfcde1b.jpg

Sand paper, Nite Shade, clear coat, mild rubbing compound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you remove tail lights before applying or did you mask off truck and apply with Tail lights in place?

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You're going to have to mask around the light anyway, might as well leave it on the truck. Just put a layer of newspaper around the last layer of tape.

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm going to assume there are not many options in the way of a reversible method. My truck is a lease and I can only see myself having to pay for new oem tail lights when i comes time to trade in... Damn

Reaction score
So, I have blind spot detection. Does anyone know if tinting, dipping, or any of the previously mentioned methods would interfere with blind spot detection?

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have some black plasti-dip left over... anyone tried that before?

I didn’t see that the center black part actually functions as a light. Let me know if I’m missing something. That would be my major reservation for coating it in an opaque material.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you want to shade the turn signals and reverse lights as well, you can put a tint kit overlay on from Luxe Auto Concepts.

I also tinted the third brake light after putting LED's in, it was blinding me when I was getting something out of the bed of the truck.
RAM_Patriot-Back2.png
I went with the Medium Shade - Gloss on all.

Last edited:

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have some black plasti-dip left over... anyone tried that before?

I didn’t see that the center black part actually functions as a light. Let me know if I’m missing something. That would be my major reservation for coating it in an opaque material.

The center part does not light. It houses the rear proximity sensors.

Users who are viewing this thread