5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Configuration For Snow (On-Road)

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm currently configuring my Rebel for a factory order. Now 95% of my use will be on-road, and I live outside of Chicago, so winters are pretty snowy/icy. this will be my first 4x4 although I currently own an awd. my question is regarding the transfer case. i was reading thought the "overheating 4x4 unit" thread and it got me worried about the electronic shift on demand transfer case (a.k.a. 4wd auto). Originally I was leaning towards this so I could just pop it in 4wd auto, and not think twice, but I'm not so sure anymore. Would 4wd Hi in the standard Rebel transfer case be a better option, or are those overheating issues only prevalent in extensive off-road use. Just curious and again, I'm new to the whole 4x4 world so be gentle with me.

Thanks,

Vinnie

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You shouldn't have any issue with overheating the 4wd Auto unit in regular on road driving in snowy conditions as that is what it is designed for. I've only heard of the unit overheating in tough off road situations. I personally wouldn't buy a truck without it especially if you are used to driving an AWD vehicle and will be driving mostly on road.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a Rebel with the 4x4 "chain-drive" system (non-Auto).
Being really honest? You could flip a coin and be happy, both systems have virtues, just different uses.

Would you rather have the ability to turn it on, and leave it on? AWD style?
Or have a more robust system where the difference would show, in heavy offroad scenarios.
It probably will not show aside from that.

If you want to run a plow of some sort in the future, I'd go for the non-Auto.
If you fully plan on doing some rough offroading? Non-Auto.
Mods that involve powering big tires upfront in 4x4 for hours? Non-auto. (my opinion there).
If you're comfortable turning it on and off as you need? non-auto.

Would you rather "set it and forget it"? To have the same manual of use as the AWD basically? Auto.
Do you plan on doing lighter offroading? Leaving it mostly stock, thinking hard about where you're driving your 20ft long, 6,000lb, wide $60,000 truck? :LOL: Auto.
In such cases you might not miss it.

I have my choice and stand by it, but I really don't think there's a totally "wrong" answer, particularly in your scenario, where you're thinking about rough winters!
The only "mistake" IMHO would be in running tires that are not 3Peak Mountain Snow-Flake rated for heavy snow. :LOL:
The stock duratracs ARE so rated.

coolidge

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm currently configuring my Rebel for a factory order. Now 95% of my use will be on-road, and I live outside of Chicago, so winters are pretty snowy/icy. this will be my first 4x4 although I currently own an awd. my question is regarding the transfer case. i was reading thought the "overheating 4x4 unit" thread and it got me worried about the electronic shift on demand transfer case (a.k.a. 4wd auto). Originally I was leaning towards this so I could just pop it in 4wd auto, and not think twice, but I'm not so sure anymore. Would 4wd Hi in the standard Rebel transfer case be a better option, or are those overheating issues only prevalent in extensive off-road use. Just curious and again, I'm new to the whole 4x4 world so be gentle with me.

Thanks,

Vinnie

I don't think its possible for anything to overheat during winter in Chicago.

Users who are viewing this thread