5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best CAI

J92JRamsport

Reaction score
Late contribution, but here is my AFE. Had it on since spring of last year. Easy install. I think I saw maybe 1mpg better on a good day. :p

ihXAVN1l.jpg

Taegee2

Reaction score
For those looking to just remove the secondary carbon filter - I found it was easy to just use a small drill to drill out the plastic rivets. They are fairly soft. The frame is pretty fragile so just forcing it out will probably crack it. Drilling the rivets out allowed the frame to pop out easily. I can now always screw it back in or glue it later if needed for emissions issues, smog testing, etc...

Others have mentioned this also - but while that filter looks pretty innocent just sitting there, on removal it's thicker than it looks and I blew some air through it - it is certainly restrictive.

I have an idea for a stock airbox mod I may try - not really on topic with aftermarket CAI so will create a new post - but those reading this post if you can give me input on that thread that would be great.

I just did the same. I was skeptical at first about removing the carbon filter, but what the heck (I already had the K&N drop-in filter in it). I used the drill method too but initially used too small of a drill bit and went though the box causing a tiny hole in the air box cover. Patched it up with some JB Weld KwikWeld (no biggie). The 1/4" drill bit seems to solved that problem. Just go slow and when enough of the plastic rivet is drilled through, the filter frame will pop off (probably helps to have a pilot hole drilled in the center first). I tested the carbon filter by blowing a hair dryer through it and what a surprise. I didn't realize how restrictive it was...I barely felt the air coming through.

Soon as I started her up, the sound was definitely noticeably louder than stock (not anything WOW louder but definitely noticeable). I drove it around the neighborhood and though it's not anything big, it's definitely a noticeable improvement in sound and response. I've had aftermarket CAI systems in my other vehicles and this is very comparable but without the extra cost and installation...now I don't need to spend $300 or more for an aftermarket CAI. I'm very satisfied this this setup for now.

Last edited:

Rhombus

Reaction score
I just did the same. I was skeptical at first about removing the carbon filter, but what the heck (I already had the K&N drop-in filter in it). I used the drill method too but initially used too small of a drill bit and went though the box causing a tiny hole in the air box cover. Patched it up with some JB Weld KwikWeld (no biggie). The 1/4" drill bit seems to solved that problem. Just go slow and when enough of the plastic rivet is drilled through, the filter frame will pop off (probably helps to have a pilot hole drilled in the center first). I tested the carbon filter by blowing a hair dryer through it and what a surprise. I didn't realize how restrictive it was...I barely felt the air coming through.

Soon as I started her up, the sound was definitely noticeably louder than stock (not anything WOW louder but definitely noticeable). I drove it around the neighborhood and though it's not anything big, it's definitely a noticeable improvement in sound and response. I've had aftermarket CAI systems in my other vehicles and this is very comparable but without the extra cost and installation...now I don't need to spend $300 or more for an aftermarket CAI. I'm very satisfied this this setup for now.
Though we share the same filter box, my ecodiesel does not have that carbon filter. And I was SO prepared to remove it

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

It's all in your head.....removing the carbon filter will have no impact on performance that you can "feel".

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Did the same exact mod with a high performance drop-in filter. Butt Dyno said ZERO which is totally what I expected;) Didn't do it for the performance factor as I knew there'd be none. When we do things like this, we'd like to believe they are making a difference, and even try to convince ourselves that they are, even though normal logic would say they are not.

Kob0583

Reaction score
I’ve done the drop in and HC removal. No proof it’s done anything but I do seem to get better MPG than a lot of others report on here but it doesn’t mean it came from it. The HC filter is restrictive though, I’ve always removed them on my trucks. Keep it don’t keep it maybe doesn’t help but it’s never hurt in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tsav21

Reaction score
Here’s my input. I took out the carbon filter and put a K&n drop in on then took a round trip to Graysville Tn from Johnson City. Cruise was set at 70 and here is my evic mpg. My actual was .2 mpg less.
631e1ec2f2b63a8ed96a8d6bdb50b2c6.jpg

I was averaging 19.5-20 before air box mods. That is with a borla muffler swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KRField, how did you take out your charcoal filter? I’ve read the method of drilling out the plastic rivets which definitely seems like the cleanest way, but i’m not the handiest of guys with tools and don’t trust myself lol..

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just take a razor blade and cut it out around the edges and call it a day. Big waste of time to drill it out...you will NEVER reinstall it.

Users who are viewing this thread