5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beeping at highway speeds. someone please help.

Chris freeman

Reaction score
Yea, some noises are hard to track. A recording can be deceiving compared to being there.

In the video, it looks like there is a rapidly flashing orange light on your screen. Is that really flashing or a trick of the recording?
Thats the the video. You know how it works with frames per second and all that. In person its a solid color.

Chris freeman

Reaction score
Looks like you're on to something. It's the "Auto" button for climate control - the light appears to be going haywire. If that's the case, then maybe it's something in the Uconnect unit that is freaking out and beeping.
Thats just a trick of the camera. In person its solid orange. Thanks for your comment though.

Chris freeman

Reaction score
That is a windshield whistle. I've had that on a previous vehicle. To eliminate possibility of such surround windshield edges with painters tape covering the gap all around top three sides then test drive. It's a simple test worth trying to be sure.
Never thought about that tape idea. I'll defiantly give that a try and see what happens. Appreciate the idea.

Chris freeman

Reaction score
Happens to me a lot too. Almost always a Hyundai for some reason.
There are at least 2 TSBs I know of for wind noise. My problem is not as bad but it's the TSB I linked with the bad seal.
2 different dealerships wouldn't do anything and played games saying the can't hear it (it's very easy to hear), I bet beceuae they know the fix involves removing the entire dash.
There is another TSB for pinholes nesr the A pillar.

If OP toggles their recirc and the sound stays the same it's likely not the bad seal.
Its eaysier if you can get someone else to drive and you can sit in the passenger and try to narrow down where the sound is coming from. Bonus points if you take put your bottom glovebox prior if you think the sound is coming from the seal
Yeah, I'm sorta in the same boat. Dealership doesn't want to do anything to fix it. I'm sure they know what it is and how much work it entails but don't want to do it. Like I said previously, I paid a lot of extra money for a extended warranty that should cover this. When I brought it in they said it covers it but they cant cover it through their insurance because its a issue that starts at 70-75 mph which is over the Arizona highway speed limit (65).

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sorta in the same boat. Dealership doesn't want to do anything to fix it. I'm sure they know what it is and how much work it entails but don't want to do it. Like I said previously, I paid a lot of extra money for a extended warranty that should cover this. When I brought it in they said it covers it but they cant cover it through their insurance because its a issue that starts at 70-75 mph which is over the Arizona highway speed limit (65).
Are you willing to pay for an air leak that a service contract won't cover? IF it is a seam leak, it will not be covered by a Mopar service contract.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Video sounds like wind whistle to me as well. Someone mentioned operating your wipers to see if it changes. You might also try folding in your outside mirrors when the noise is occurring to see if it changes.

Increasing your radio volume might also fix it.

cerbo

Reaction score
so here s what I would do, use painters tape and start with windshield, then maybe where door fronts meet fenders, mirrors in, maybe tape up wiper cowl area. Do them in whatever steps help eilimate areas.
Then I d try when noise appears to use different vent settings.
Then at speed with noise try swaying the truck side to side and see if the note changes (common way to find hub noises)
Try 2 wd and 4wd.... see what changes with any of those methods and that might narrow down an area.
Take a look at underside of truck, look for loose shields, plastics etc...
It s just a process that dealers probably won t do. Good luck!!

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It seems most plausible that it's wind whistle, but your observation, "It is also worse when the radio is on. No, if the radio is off it does not stop" might indicate an issue with the noise cancellation system.

Noise cancellation will work harder at higher speeds and in the wind as it's trying to cancel out outside noise that are louder in the wind and at higher speeds. The noise cancellation system works through your speakers but it works even if the radio is off. The cancellation signals may be louder when the radio is on to overcome the sound from the stereo.

Troubleshooting this should be pretty simple. You can buy this bypass harness to eliminate the noise cancelation system to see if the problem goes away. You can also disable it by removing the microphone pins from the harness at your amplifier. There are threads here and YouTube videos that describe how to do this.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It seems most plausible that it's wind whistle, but your observation, "It is also worse when the radio is on. No, if the radio is off it does not stop" might indicate an issue with the noise cancellation system.

Noise cancellation will work harder at higher speeds and in the wind as it's trying to cancel out outside noise that are louder in the wind and at higher speeds. The noise cancellation system works through your speakers but it works even if the radio is off. The cancellation signals may be louder when the radio is on to overcome the sound from the stereo.

Troubleshooting this should be pretty simple. You can buy this bypass harness to eliminate the noise cancelation system to see if the problem goes away. You can also disable it by removing the microphone pins from the harness at your amplifier. There are threads here and YouTube videos that describe how to do this.
Note: that adaptor will not work if OPs Limited has the HK system.
That's only for trucks without an OEM amp.
Cracking the window disables ANC and is free.

Cueva del Osos

Reaction score
I have the same exact sound and it’s definitely an electronic beep. It sounds like the parking sensors, but turning them off does nothing.

I’ve had this issue for years and never been able to solve it. For me it only happens with a strong crosswind.
And there’s the answer…I have it on my 2019 Ltd and after 50,000 miles I realized it was only during gusty winds hitting the truck from 20-60° angle to the front (I don’t drive 80mph and the higher the wind speed, the more noise. We drove in such conditions one day with one of us moving all over the cab and the noise originated from the firewall…almost dead center. On a whim, I turned on re-circ and the noise diminished/stopped instantly (though really gusty wind still does it even with re-circ on). My ‘guess’ is that it’s a poorly sealed/designed air intake and this noise is like blowing across the mouth of a bottle. Fortunately, I don’t drive long distances anymore unless I’m towing the Rv and I never tow faster than 65mph, so I'm spared the agony that a regular commuter would suffer.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
And there’s the answer…I have it on my 2019 Ltd and after 50,000 miles I realized it was only during gusty winds hitting the truck from 20-60° angle to the front (I don’t drive 80mph and the higher the wind speed, the more noise. We drove in such conditions one day with one of us moving all over the cab and the noise originated from the firewall…almost dead center. On a whim, I turned on re-circ and the noise diminished/stopped instantly (though really gusty wind still does it even with re-circ on). My ‘guess’ is that it’s a poorly sealed/designed air intake and this noise is like blowing across the mouth of a bottle. Fortunately, I don’t drive long distances anymore unless I’m towing the Rv and I never tow faster than 65mph, so I'm spared the agony that a regular commuter would suffer.
That's the TSB I linked.
It's a bad seal yes, only way to replace it with the updated part number is remove the dash.

RebelliousGt

Reaction score
here a video i took

Turn your wipers on when it’s doing that noise, just to see if it stops for a second. If it’s does it’s probably the wiper arm post, mine was making noise while driving also. Almost tore the dash apart until someone on the forum suggested it, I pulled on the drivers side post and it moved up and down, other rams it doesn’t. Got it replaced and now no more noise.

Chris freeman

Reaction score

100% something with ANC. I'll watch some youtube videos on this harness and ill give it a try. Really appreciate your comment.

RebelliousGt

Reaction score
Hey man, is you truck still having this issue? If so have you tried to fix it or have you at least found out what it is? thanks.
No, I had a different noise while driving, sounded like a constant squeak but figured it out that once my wipers came on it disappeared. Just thought maybe the wind at driving speed was causing the vibration on the wiper spindle to make that noise for you.

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sorta in the same boat. Dealership doesn't want to do anything to fix it. I'm sure they know what it is and how much work it entails but don't want to do it. Like I said previously, I paid a lot of extra money for an extended warranty that should cover this. When I brought it in they said it covers it but they cant cover it through their insurance because its a issue that starts at 70-75 mph which is over the Arizona highway speed limit (65).
That’s a bulls💩 cop out excuse. I would be so pissed they would know how much before I left.

Users who are viewing this thread