5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bedrug XLT

cubsflfan

Reaction score
Installed the bedrug XLT and some motion stick up led strips. Don’t mind the folded pad getting ready to move a piece of furniture. DD5BF263-6C85-40E3-AD84-989ECFBCE0DF.jpeg

Maineiac

Reaction score
Nice! I installed one in my truck a couple weeks back. It really helps keep the dust out of the bed from all the gravel roads I drive on.

djwdjw

Reaction score
Yes, I really like mine. Very quick/easy to install and a blessing for the knees.

JayRam19

Reaction score
I just got mine and it’s missing the jhook. Called Bedrug and they are overnighting one. Very good customer service even though I purchased it on Amazon. Glad to hear everyone likes theirs, this is my first bedrug.
Happy Holidays All!

DeanKing

Reaction score
I just got mine and it’s missing the jhook. Called Bedrug and they are overnighting one. Very good customer service even though I purchased it on Amazon. Glad to hear everyone likes theirs, this is my first bedrug.
Happy Holidays All!
Mine also was missing the jchannel. Any of you guys have a low profile cover with this? Mine didn’t fit so well cause the tailgate piece stuck up about a 1/3 inch too high.

Maineiac

Reaction score
Mine was missing a j hook as well and I just installed without it. It’s held up fine so far, but I also have a tonneau cover.

What’s the j-hook even for?

DeanKing

Reaction score
Mine was missing a j hook as well and I just installed without it. It’s held up fine so far, but I also have a tonneau cover.

What’s the j-hook even for?
It clips on top of the plastic liner on the tailgate to provide a smooth and even surface to adhere the Velcro strips. Otherwise the strips have to stick directly to the uneven ridged plastic.

Maineiac

Reaction score
It clips on top of the plastic liner on the tailgate to provide a smooth and even surface to adhere the Velcro strips. Otherwise the strips have to stick directly to the uneven ridged plastic.

Ahh ok. I used the adhesive promoter and also cut the strips smaller to fit on tailgate. So instead of a few regular size ones I have a bunch of smaller ones across the whole gate.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My order arrived today. Already in the truck. The j-hook was the hardest thing to install. I ended up taking the access panel off and use a rubber mallet to get the j-hook on. I have the factory spray in bedliner and the added thickness makes it tight. The added bed mat thickness also makes closing the tailgate harder. The interference is with the tonneau cover side rails. If it stays tight, I might grind an eighth inch or so of the tonneau side rails. I'm hoping the material will crush enough after a couple of days.

DeanKing

Reaction score
My order arrived today. Already in the truck. The j-hook was the hardest thing to install. I ended up taking the access panel off and use a rubber mallet to get the j-hook on. I have the factory spray in bedliner and the added thickness makes it tight. The added bed mat thickness also makes closing the tailgate harder. The interference is with the tonneau cover side rails. If it stays tight, I might grind an eighth inch or so of the tonneau side rails. I'm hoping the material will crush enough after a couple of days.
You sure it’s the side rails and not the cover itself? My cover works tailgate or cover first. When the cover is up, tailgate works fine. When cover is done not so good shutting tailgate. The rails never move. But your rails may be longer.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You sure it’s the side rails and not the cover itself? My cover works tailgate or cover first. When the cover is up, tailgate works fine. When cover is done not so good shutting tailgate. The rails never move. But your rails may be longer.
Yeah I'm certain it's the rail. The combination of j-hook, velcro hook strip and the Bedrug tailgate mat are squished between the rail and tailgate. I'll see how it "clearances" itself after being closed and sitting out in the 80° weather we're having right now.

The tailgate shut easily with or without the tonneau down. Yesterday I had to pretty much slam it to get it to close completely and not get the tailgate open warning light on the dash.

DeanKing

Reaction score
I am hav
Yeah I'm certain it's the rail. The combination of j-hook, velcro hook strip and the Bedrug tailgate mat are squished between the rail and tailgate. I'll see how it "clearances" itself after being closed and sitting out in the 80° weather we're having right now.

The tailgate shut easily with or without the tonneau down. Yesterday I had to pretty much slam it to get it to close completely and not get the tailgate open warning light on the dash.
i am having the exact same symptoms: if I don’t slam it shut I get the warning light. Some days are worse than others. One time I was trying so hard to slam it I slightly lifted it off it’s hinge pin (easier to do than it sounds) which in turn made it off square in the opening which smashed the latch into my sheet metal causing a crease. I am very careful now. If it seems to be causing extra trouble then I just lift the cover and shut the tailgate first. In the end, I feel that tailgate piece is designed just a little big for our truck which is a shame for something custom fitted. If I were to do it again I would try the one without the attached tailgate cover. Still get the cover, just not attached.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thought I would revive this thread with a question.

I'm looking at the Bedrug XLT Bed Mat and the Bedtred Impact Bed Matt. Both are priced at $199.00 on Bedrug's website, and the Bedtred is apparently commercial grade and looks like it's made from a different material than the Bedrug XLT.

Here's a quick link to their site:

https://bedrug.com/bedliners-and-mats

Is there any real difference or practical concerns regarding one or the other? I have an Extang Solid Fold 2.0 on the truck, so either would stay pretty dry.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you guys might have.

Bleda2002

Reaction score
Bedrug and Bedtred are both bedrug products. The difference is the bedtred texture is more like a spray in liner where the rug is like a carpet. Both having padding for the knees.

rdhornberger

Reaction score
I am hav

i am having the exact same symptoms: if I don’t slam it shut I get the warning light. Some days are worse than others. One time I was trying so hard to slam it I slightly lifted it off it’s hinge pin (easier to do than it sounds) which in turn made it off square in the opening which smashed the latch into my sheet metal causing a crease. I am very careful now. If it seems to be causing extra trouble then I just lift the cover and shut the tailgate first. In the end, I feel that tailgate piece is designed just a little big for our truck which is a shame for something custom fitted. If I were to do it again I would try the one without the attached tailgate cover. Still get the cover, just not attached.
I just installed one tonight and I agree that the fit isn't great and should be way better. I actually cut an 1 1/2" off the end of the rug on the cab side to make it fit better. Then I had to do a little custom job around the wheel wells so the carpet would lay flat on the one side. This helps with not have so much extra carpet getting caught in the tailgate gap. I have to slam the tailgate harder to close, but carpet is nice and flat now. I wish Bedrug would adjust there size though, would be a lot better. Nice rug though!!

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I’m late to the party but I installed the full bedrug liner & the Undercover Ultra Flex tonneau cover months ago (but just now Velcro’d the tailgate down) and I gotta say that using one or the other would be fine, but combining the cover & bedrug is tricky. The bedrug makes it to where the cover doesn’t seat 100% against the back of the bed near the cab. I got it as close as possible and even then I’d say it’s just a hair too big. Then couple that with the J Hook and it’s super tight. Kinda have to slam the tailgate - not super hard though. The real problem lies with the excess bedrug material that’s supposed to fold when the tailgate goes up. There’s way too much of it and it gets caught in the tailgate and I have to slam the tailgate shut pretty hard to get it to scrunch down enough to shut flush! Do you guys have any tips to avoid this? If I just keep slamming the bedrug in there will it eventually just wear down & get easier to close because it’s so scrunched down? Thanks!

mingya

Reaction score
Same issue here. Way to long. Theres so much rug at the end of the bed and I wasn't going to have to slam my tailgate closed. I'm sure that will end up with a problem with the tailgate after so long. Watching my share of video's on the install from the companies that sell them. The tailgate is the last part of the install. So now everything is taped down and you realize that you have like 5" of extra material. I did notice going back to some of those videos, none of them actually closed the tailgate. Hmmm. So tired of these companies that put out a product that you pay alot of money for and end up thinking you should have just spent your money on something less expensive so when you have an issue you can at least say you get what you pay for but....Same with my expensive undercover flex hard trifold cover. Installed that same day as the bedrug and for a couple weeks have been trying to figure a way to get it to stop leaking.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Same issue here. Way to long. Theres so much rug at the end of the bed and I wasn't going to have to slam my tailgate closed. I'm sure that will end up with a problem with the tailgate after so long. Watching my share of video's on the install from the companies that sell them. The tailgate is the last part of the install. So now everything is taped down and you realize that you have like 5" of extra material. I did notice going back to some of those videos, none of them actually closed the tailgate. Hmmm. So tired of these companies that put out a product that you pay alot of money for and end up thinking you should have just spent your money on something less expensive so when you have an issue you can at least say you get what you pay for but....Same with my expensive undercover flex hard trifold cover. Installed that same day as the bedrug and for a couple weeks have been trying to figure a way to get it to stop leaking.
Yeah man it’s a bummer for sure, but I can say that after just having the tailgate shut on the bedrug for a couple days it completely packed down to where now I don’t really need to slam it much. I think it’ll be fine. They definitely should have made it shorter, but it’ll work! And my undercover flex doesn’t really leak, mainly because of how damn tight it is. It hardly fits with the bedrug!

Users who are viewing this thread