5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bedrug Install

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Don’t think your going to be happy with the results if you chop it up.

It’s a thick materials and it holds it shape pretty well.

Hold out a little longer maybe the demand will be there for the Ram box model.
Thanks, yes I’m worried about an ugly/rough edge but BedRug is saying they are unlikely to take any action on Rambox designs, or will be waiting a year at least.

For those of you who own a BedRug, is the edge sealed or wrapped/sewn in a manner to keep it sharp... or is it just cleanly cut with a blade?

RamMeToo

Reaction score
Thanks, yes I’m worried about an ugly/rough edge but BedRug is saying they are unlikely to take any action on Rambox designs, or will be waiting a year at least.

For those of you who own a BedRug, is the edge sealed or wrapped/sewn in a manner to keep it sharp... or is it just cleanly cut with a blade?

Consider taking it to a local auto or boat upholstery place and have them cut and sew it back up for you. May cost a bit but I would do it for the professional look.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The other possible issue is the molded foam for the regular box might not match/fit the Rambox floor.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Finally got around to installing my bedrug the other day. It's decent...but I'm less than impressed with the fitment on the Ram vs on my F150. I didn't have gaps like this on the F150. I've since adjusted the side pieces so it's not a gaping gap - but it's still there. I do not have the bedlights on the Ram (I did on the F150)...so the install was much easier, especially just being able to cut slits for the tie downs vs unscrew/screw them back in on the F150.

I can't recall if the sides zipped back further on the F150 or not...but I do know it was a much better fit.

2Btg0n1.jpg

vMOpb6W.jpg

biL214e.jpg

9sJDL3Y.jpg

aCfaXye.jpg

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Finally got around to installing my bedrug the other day. It's decent...but I'm less than impressed with the fitment on the Ram vs on my F150. I didn't have gaps like this on the F150. I've since adjusted the side pieces so it's not a gaping gap - but it's still there. I do not have the bedlights on the Ram (I did on the F150)...so the install was much easier, especially just being able to cut slits for the tie downs vs unscrew/screw them back in on the F150.

I can't recall if the sides zipped back further on the F150 or not...but I do know it was a much better fit.

Well that certainly sucks... I'd be sending them the pics, it should be a perfect fit.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looks good and will work well I’m sure, but ya... hey @Dustin is that about the same fit as yours? The new beds seem about 1/2” taller, I wonder if that was accounted for. I might contact Bedrug with those pics and see what they have to say... Confirm that is part # BRT19CCK?

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks good and will work well I’m sure, but ya... hey @Dustin is that about the same fit as yours? The new beds seem about 1/2” taller, I wonder if that was accounted for. I might contact Bedrug with those pics and see what they have to say... Confirm that is part # BRT19CCK?

Yep. I'm digging up pics of my F150 fitment then emailing them later today. Not sure why it took them so long to release it with a fit like this..

Dustin

IT Geek, Adventure Junkie
Reaction score

Sorry, I just saw this. I'll check and get back to you.

Dustin

IT Geek, Adventure Junkie
Reaction score

I checked mine today and there is space like yours just on one side. The front doesn't go all the way to the top, but it is even across.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
with those gaps I fell like its useless. Debri will get under it and ruin the paint after awhile. I fell like a spray in liner is better

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I checked mine today and there is space like yours just on one side. The front doesn't go all the way to the top, but it is even across.

with those gaps I fell like its useless. Debri will get under it and ruin the paint after awhile. I fell like a spray in liner is better

BedRug redesigned this part number, BRT19CCK for the 2019s. No reason it's not a perfect fit. Here is the fitment on a 2016 F150....the bottom piece of the BedRug itself fully covers the bed from side to side, front to back. Like @alacombe stated - not having it fully cover the bed makes it useless. I'm not going to lose sleep over the front of it being a 1/2" to short - I've got a soft cover that'll roll up to the front and ensure nothing falls in there.

However, I'm in talks with BedRug currently - a cut like this is beyond unacceptable.

Here are the pics from a F150...showing it fully covers the bed.

1koPvod.jpg

asbTa7a.jpg

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My old F150 fit like firecadet613 as well. The Ram should fit like that, too. I'm going to get the mat this time around but it'll wait a while longer. I've got my 69 Camaro at a shop being completely rewired, leather seats getting modified and the trunk finished. My toy fund is getting emptied.

Gearwhine

Reaction score
I just finished installing my bedrug on my 6' 4" bed. I ordered it directly from bedrug last week when they got a new batch in stock. They forgot the J-hook for the tailgate install in my shipment... So check your contents as soon as it arrives. Quick call for them to send one out though.

It fits very well. Those gaps near the tailgate mentioned before are nonexistent. I found that the driver side bedside wall is just slightly short and leaves a bit of dead space at the buckhead and tailgate (I did not have that on my 04 Ram). Passenger side wall length is perfect with no dead space at all.

I'm a bit of a nit picky person, so to be 100% nit picky... I don't feel the walls fit perfectly around either wheel well. It looks great rom afar, but neither wall really sits very smoothly around that area. I also think they didn't send enough small velcro strips to meet the instruction's directions. I had leftovers from my last install that I used. IMG_20181023_193412323-2080x1560.jpg IMG_20181023_193402098-2080x1560.jpg IMG_20181023_193348346-2080x1560.jpg

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After looking at your pictures and another F150 with a BedRug in person and comparing to the Ram, the fit issue is two fold. The F150 bed is designed differently than the Ram, allowing the BedRug a tighter fit. I also think BedRug rushed these and the quality of the build/cut isn't the same as the on I purchased in 2016. It fit tighter around the wheel wells and I couldn't see sewing marks from where they sewed the velcro on to it.

Bottom line - I'm keeping it in the Ram. I got a better price than on my F150s so I guess you get what you pay for LOL

Gearwhine

Reaction score
You know what...I need to backtrack on some things I said. This fits better than my 2004 Ram's Bedrug. I "recalled" is fitting super snug with no dead space. After actually going out and checking out my old one, this new one absolutely fits quite a bit better than my 2004. I bought that Bedrug in 2009.

The sew marks have always been visible from my experiences. They have definitely become less visible as the rug was used.

In the end, I had zero complaints about the old one, and this new one truly does fit better. I think it's the fact that I installed this one, when the shop installed my old one. I was able to see every small issue with it this time.

MLB12

Reaction score
After looking at your pictures and another F150 with a BedRug in person and comparing to the Ram, the fit issue is two fold. The F150 bed is designed differently than the Ram, allowing the BedRug a tighter fit. I also think BedRug rushed these and the quality of the build/cut isn't the same as the on I purchased in 2016. It fit tighter around the wheel wells and I couldn't see sewing marks from where they sewed the velcro on to it.

Bottom line - I'm keeping it in the Ram. I got a better price than on my F150s so I guess you get what you pay for LOL

I'm completely in agreement with you about BedRug having rushed these into production. The quality of the fit is absolutely terrible, compared to the ones that I had in my Dakota of years gone by, my '15 Longhorn, and my '16 Longhorn, but that's only half the story.

The major issues I have, along with the overall fitment, is the belief I have that the BedRug engineers didn't do their due diligence in taking into account those of us who have the Bed Utility Group bed rails. Once you have the BedRug fit in, and placed as tightly as you can through the whole box, soon as you reinstall the bed rails it sucks the back end of the BedRug so tight that you can't get the end/side portions of the BedRug to wrap around the rear 'posts' of the box. Not only is there too little material, what there is gets pulled along at an angle, so you have exposed metal where you're not supposed to.

Oh, and the only way that you can get the bed rails reinstalled, is to either drill the mounting holes out to 3/8", allowing the rail to move towards the front of the box, or elongate the mounting holes, whatever it takes to allow the rail to move ahead. Otherwise, the BedRug material at the back corners of the box is so think the rails can't fit back in where they're supposed to.

So, that's the fitment issue at the back end of the box, moving on-the BedRug engineers obviously didn't account for how tight the tailgate is to the box edge itself. This is very apparent given you can't close the tailgate with the 'hinge' section of the BedRug, which ties the tailgate flap to the main part of the BedRug. The material is way too thick, even though it is somewhat reduced in that area. I know that many of you are possibly used to lifting the hinge section up, so that it sits above the floor, but the actual premise is for it to fit down in between the tailgate and the box.

This was not an issue on any of my other trucks, but it certainly is with this one.

Overall, I'm not a happy camper, and it remains to be seen what BedRug does about it. My dealer friend has already reached out to BedRug almost two weeks ago, but so far the silence is deafening!! I do know he's going to be seeing them at SEMA next week, so it could be interesting.

I'm resuming others have had some, or all, of thesesame issues, so it would be nice to hear from whomever has.

Griff

Reaction score
I just put the velcro directly on the metal, just below the plastic tailgate cover. It is holding really well and lays nice and flat. They are sending me the correct J-Clip, but I don't think I'm going to use it.

Is this the wrong J-clip? I haven't tried the install yet, waiting on the temps to rise a little.

20190123_045411.jpg

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like what I received. As I said, it's hard to gently the access panel if it has the spray on bed liner. I ended up taking the panel off and using a rubber mallet to drive it on.

FWIW, I installed mine without the J clip and it's held up just fine.

Gearwhine

Reaction score
That is
Is this the wrong J-clip? I haven't tried the install yet, waiting on the temps to rise a little.

That is the correct j-clip. I cut mine down in length so it didn't extend past the access panel's width. This allows the access panel to be bolted down flush (or mostly) again. I'm happy with the j-clip design.

Users who are viewing this thread