5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Utility Rail System

filup01

Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on the utility rails for the bed (weight capacity, tie down capacity, etc.)?
I have a roof top tent and would like to know if the rails will support the weight if I use the Yakima rail kit on Mopar’s website.

Jstadick

Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on the utility rails for the bed (weight capacity, tie down capacity, etc.)?
I have a roof top tent and would like to know if the rails will support the weight if I use the Yakima rail kit on Mopar’s website.

I believe that each cleat is rated to hold 320 lbs. There are two cleats per side, but I'm not sure if that translates to 320 x 4 cleats = 1280 lbs total distributed weight. That seems like a lot. I believe my truck is rated at 1840 lbs max payload.

d_THRILL

Reaction score
From page 139 of the Owners Manual: "The maximum load per cleat should not exceed 250 lbs (113 kg) and the angle of the load on each cleat should not exceed 45 degrees above horizontal, or damage to the cleat or cleat rail may occur."

filup01

Reaction score
From page 139 of the Owners Manual: "The maximum load per cleat should not exceed 250 lbs (113 kg) and the angle of the load on each cleat should not exceed 45 degrees above horizontal, or damage to the cleat or cleat rail may occur."
Perfect! If I had an owners manual I definitely would’ve looked it up but thank you.
I wonder why Ram sells the roof rack with bars that attach to the bed rails since that would most certainly be beyond 45 degrees for the load. Either way, my question is answered. I’ll probably make something that sits on the bed rails (top of the bed) and uses the rails to keep them stable only similar to the Thule bed racks.

Jstadick

Reaction score

I just love consistency...Not! Most of the sites that sell the rails say the tie downs are rated at 320 lbs. That is a little difference than the manual.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The rack systemthat uses the rails, holds up to 750 pounds. They give no weight for the sport bars.

The tool box that slides on the rails says 200 lbs.

Agitated

Reaction score
Having installed the rails in my truck and using the 8 small nutserts and screws in each side, I’d have a hard time confidentally putting 1200 pounds on those rails and expecting the nutserts not to pull out of the sheetmetal.

filup01

Reaction score
Having installed the rails in my truck and using the 8 small nutserts and screws in each side, I’d have a hard time confidentally putting 1200 pounds on those rails and expecting the nutserts not to pull out of the sheetmetal.
I’d agree with you. If you had 200 lbs in a toolbox (plus weight of the toolbox), a rooftop tent mounted on the rails (150 lbs +/-), and 350 lbs of me and girlfriend, that’s 700 lbs static. With a wind pulling a little one way or another I could see a nutsert or two being stressed. I think the best option is for me to look for something that sits on the bed rails (to take the weight) but also bolts to the utility rack (for non-permanent mounting/securing and stability).

RichT

Reaction score
Does anybody know the bolt size used to secure the rails tot he bed? I'm going to make some DIY unistrut rails cause I'm cheap. :)

RichT

Reaction score
Ug, nevermind, just noticed they are just holes for the nutserts mentioned above. Not sure what I was thinking...

Anybody know what size they are and where I can get them? Or if there is a better alternative to them?

SacRebel

Reaction score
I had never seen them myself and remember thinking I hope I don’t lose any. I have a spray-in bed liner and some were more difficult to line up and tap in with a hammer. After that it was easy to attach the rail, I just snuggled up the bolts..nothing more.

Tommym

Reaction score
Rich - 6mm bolts and M6 Rivnuts. Rivnuts I got on Amazon. If you mess up and tear one out like I did, I replaced it with an M8 rivnut and 8mm bolt.

d_THRILL

Reaction score
Does anybody know the bolt size used to secure the rails tot he bed? I'm going to make some DIY unistrut rails cause I'm cheap. :)
Whatever they are, make sure they are an 1/8 or 3/16ths' longer than the factory bolts, as the bolts don't take into account the bedliner thickness. I had one pop out and it was a PIA to get back in.

RichT

Reaction score
Crap, everything I saw last night said M8, so I ordered some. Oh well, have a Grainger near me and they stock both.

I don't have a bedliner installed, but that is a great point. When shopping for Rivnuts, make sure to buy ones that specify the Grip Range. In the case of no bedliner, I purchased the 0.70 - 3.80mm range. For a install over a bedliner, I would measure and maybe go with the 3.80 - 7.90mm's. Steel of course.

Gearwhine

Reaction score
This is interesting...the bed rail kit doesn't come with the nutsert/rivet nuts?

That's a bit absurd.

RichT

Reaction score
I believe it does, but I'm making a DIY out of SuperStrut

SacRebel

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you need to use the Mopar Sport Utility Bars (Part Number: 82215789) with the Bed Rail system or if there are aftermarket utility bars that will fit?

MOP82215789.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread