5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Step Install Doc and Pics

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just had the MOPAR 82215289AH installed and as long as you put the small bolt in first, followed by the two reused bolts up top...it easily clears the exhaust, even with the hardest kick closed.
Do you have an aftermarket exhaust?

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I finally got my step installed after it sitting on the garage floor for the last 4 or 5 months, whenever I bought it :ROFLMAO: . I read this entire thread before I put it on. Went on no problem other than the dirt that got in my eye because I was being dumb and not wearing safety glasses. When you disconnect the wiring harness, you have to pull that red clip all the way out. I thought it just pulled out a little bit, but it slides almost completely out. Aside from that this is a pathetically simple install, a lot simpler than the one that went on my Titan was. Works pretty good and I'm glad it's on the driver's side because I can't really push off with my right leg any more after breaking my knee cap and shredding the tendon last year.

When it's stowed, you barely even know it's there - just the little tab sticking out that you grab with your foot.

RAMble

Reaction score
Added the Mopar bed step. Wasn't expecting 13/16 bolts. Luckily I had my sparkplug socket handy. I removed the chrome exhaust tip which made install much easier. Couldn't torque bolts to the recommended 124 ft lbs though. Wrench only goes to 80. Bolts are solidly tight and I hope they stay that way. It's a nice mod to allow easier access to the bed.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Added the Mopar bed step. Wasn't expecting 13/16 bolts. Luckily I had my sparkplug socket handy. I removed the chrome exhaust tip which made install much easier. Couldn't torque bolts to the recommended 124 ft lbs though. Wrench only goes to 80. Bolts are solidly tight and I hope they stay that way. It's a nice mod to allow easier access to the bed.
Even if you had a wrench that would go to 124...I found it very difficult to get it to 124 when I did mine. As long as it's solid, you will be just fine.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think they're actually metric bolts because I know I didn't use my spark plug socket. I think they were 21mm.

RAMble

Reaction score
I think they're actually metric bolts because I know I didn't use my spark plug socket. I think they were 21mm.
Thanks, they are 21mm. Only had standard sockets on hand that went that large and found the spark plug socket fit nicely. My instruction sheet from Mopar did not list what size socket was needed. Will be buying some larger metric sizes for future use!

Users who are viewing this thread