5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Rack Options with Rambox

BigIron

Reaction score
Been meaning to post this for awhile. I went with the Dethloff MFG. Contour Rack and it worked out great for my rooftop tent for our two week family camping vacation back in August. Lead time for delivery was very long but worth the wait. I also moved the back crossbar up next to the front one when the rooftop tent is not installed so I am still able to use the factory tonneau cover (with black rails).

Attachments

• IMG_8681 (1).jpg
    IMG_8681 (1).jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_8923.jpg
    IMG_8923.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:

mac-oly

Reaction score
Been meaning to post this for awhile. I went with the Delhoff MFG. Contour Rack and it worked out great for my rooftop tent for our two week family camping vacation back in August. Lead time for delivery was very long but worth the wait. I also moved the back crossbar up next to the front one when the rooftop tent is not installed so I am still able to use the factory tonneau cover (with black rails).
Very nice! I'm waiting on mine to come in. It's been a very long wait, but it seems like it's the only thing that fit what I wanted for a rack with the Ramboxes.

BigIron

Reaction score
Very nice! I'm waiting on mine to come in. It's been a very long wait, but it seems like it's the only thing that fit what I wanted for a rack with the Ramboxes.
The reason for the long lead time is that it is a one man shop. The owner/manufacturer (Marcus Dethloff) can't find skilled help and has had to limit orders as a result. When you do get yours, use all the anti-seize that is provided with the stainless hardware. Also, thread the nylon nuts all the way on the bolts once before installing them on your truck/rack. I had an issue with the stainless steel hardware cross threading and had to cut three bolt heads off and replace them (standard Home Depot stainless bolts/nylon nuts).

mac-oly

Reaction score
The reason for the long lead time is that it is a one man shop. The owner/manufacturer (Marcus Dethloff) can't find skilled help and has had to limit orders as a result. When you do get yours, use all the anti-seize that is provided with the stainless hardware. Also, thread the nylon nuts all the way on the bolts once before installing them on your truck/rack. I had an issue with the stainless steel hardware cross threading and had to cut three bolt heads off and replace them (standard Home Depot stainless bolts/nylon nuts).
Thanks for the tips! Yeah, I can't get too impatient knowing how small of a shop he runs. I'm waiting on some sliders from another small shop, too. Maybe they'll show up at the same time. 🤞

MrSweetShelby67

Reaction score
I read through this thread and then called and spoke to Nuthouse Industries to get some pointers on making my own rack. They were extremely helpful in giving information which was a great help in the creation of what I'm posting below. This is made out of 2" steel and has 1 5/8" inserts welded on top so all of the crossbars are removable. The legs in the back attach to bolt holes already inside the bed. On the front, I did have two nuts welded on where the front bed rail covers had attachments and then used spacers to keep the front bed rails off of the bed rail covers. Hope this helps others that are trying to find a way to have a covered bed with a rack. I can remove the rack by myself in about five mins and put it back on in about 10 if needed. I don't plan on removing the rack much though so it will likely stay on all the time. The material in the metal and the paint was around $400 as I used raptor liner. The rest was time in the cutting of the metal and welding. IMG_1827.JPEG IMG_1833.JPEG IMG_1894.JPEG IMG_1919.JPEG IMG_1922.JPEG IMG_1948.JPEG IMG_1949.JPEG IMG_1933.JPEG

Last edited:

mac-oly

Reaction score
Super happy with the Dethloff rack! It was a very long wait, but Marcus was almost always on top of getting back to me with updates. There was also a small problem with the powdercoating that he caught and sent back to get redone. I'd rather wait for that to get fixed than to get the rack with problems. Install was pretty easy, too. Just took a while with having to take out both Ramboxes. I got the mid-height bars instead of the lower ones because I'll mostly be using it for kayaks. You can barely even see the bars using the third brake light camera.

Attachments

• PXL_20211118_215421859.MP.jpg
    PXL_20211118_215421859.MP.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 180
  • PXL_20211118_215305957.MP.jpg
    PXL_20211118_215305957.MP.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 178

ebelp

Reaction score
Has anyone had success in finding a bed rack option that works with their Tonneau cover? My Tonneau cover uses the top channel of the rails, so I have to reply completely on the side channels to install a bed rack...unless I remove my Tonneau cover every time I want to mount my bed rack/rooftop tent.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone had success in finding a bed rack option that works with their Tonneau cover? My Tonneau cover uses the top channel of the rails, so I have to reply completely on the side channels to install a bed rack...unless I remove my Tonneau cover every time I want to mount my bed rack/rooftop tent.
You’ll find at least a few people in this thread who have made this work, including the last two to post.

ebelp

Reaction score
Sorry, i should've been more specific...i'm looking for a bed rack option that uses the existing rails, as opposed to the corner mount style racks.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry, i should've been more specific...i'm looking for a bed rack option that uses the existing rails, as opposed to the corner mount style racks.
I don’t see how that would work, considering the existing rails would be under the tonneau cover.

bazz

Reaction score
Hey all... been a while since I posted... question about racks... I really like the dethloff racks but it looks like the cross post that curls around the light on the back of the cab would likely block the camera that is part of that third light ? I love the rear view mirror camera and am not too excited about losing it by installing a permanently mounted rack.

Anyway, I have the Ramboxes and the rear view mirror camera and am looking for a bed rack to primarily carry a pair of kayaks without permanently blocking the rear-view mirror camera.

Thoughts ?

mac-oly

Reaction score
Hey all... been a while since I posted... question about racks... I really like the dethloff racks but it looks like the cross post that curls around the light on the back of the cab would likely block the camera that is part of that third light ? I love the rear view mirror camera and am not too excited about losing it by installing a permanently mounted rack.

Anyway, I have the Ramboxes and the rear view mirror camera and am looking for a bed rack to primarily carry a pair of kayaks without permanently blocking the rear-view mirror camera.

Thoughts ?
The Dethloff does not interfere with the rear view mirror camera. I've got the mid height cross bars (about roof height) to transport kayaks and I can still use the camera just fine. I'll try to get a pic for you, but even if you can see the bars, it's barely noticeable.

costaricarams

Reaction score
I found the AQM4WD bed rack, it seems you can adjust height no problem to accommodate the ramboxes. It's not that pricey either compared to systems like Nuthouse.
I get the side lighting, but I would rather have something point backward too, I guess you could always install a led bar...
What I wonder is if you could still install something like a Retrax PowertraxPRO.

Attachments

• AQM4WD bed rack,.JPG
    AQM4WD bed rack,.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 44

Rau

Reaction score
I read through this thread and then called and spoke to Nuthouse Industries to get some pointers on making my own rack. They were extremely helpful in giving information which was a great help in the creation of what I'm posting below. This is made out of 2" steel and has 1 5/8" inserts welded on top so all of the crossbars are removable. The legs in the back attach to bolt holes already inside the bed. On the front, I did have two nuts welded on where the front bed rail covers had attachments and then used spacers to keep the front bed rails off of the bed rail covers. Hope this helps others that are trying to find a way to have a covered bed with a rack. I can remove the rack by myself in about five mins and put it back on in about 10 if needed. I don't plan on removing the rack much though so it will likely stay on all the time. The material in the metal and the paint was around $400 as I used raptor liner. The rest was time in the cutting of the metal and welding. View attachment 109730 View attachment 109731 View attachment 109732 View attachment 109733 View attachment 109734 View attachment 109736 View attachment 109737 View attachment 109735
I love this design, I wish I was handy with welding machine :)
Do you know if this design will work with diamondback cover? This would be a dream combination for me.

Users who are viewing this thread