5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Rack Options with Rambox

w0bbles

Reaction score
Hi all,

I placed in my order for a Rebel with Rambox a week ago, and while I wait until my baby gets built, I figured I'd do some homework.

I will be using my Rebel to tow my wheeling rig to off road parks, and with that comes camping. I have been using a cheapy on ground Coleman camp for the past 2 years, but now that I am thinking about a roof top tent, using a rack system over the bed. Since I ordered it with Rambox, most basic racks offered out there will not work.

With that said, what options do I have for low profile rack systems that would still allow me to use the ramboxes? I'm hoping to find something that will not break the bank, but still looks good. Even better if it's a quick disconnect, since I would only need it about once a month or once every other month.

Thanks!

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi all,

I placed in my order for a Rebel with Rambox a week ago, and while I wait until my baby gets built, I figured I'd do some homework.

I will be using my Rebel to tow my wheeling rig to off road parks, and with that comes camping. I have been using a cheapy on ground Coleman camp for the past 2 years, but now that I am thinking about a roof top tent, using a rack system over the bed. Since I ordered it with Rambox, most basic racks offered out there will not work.

With that said, what options do I have for low profile rack systems that would still allow me to use the ramboxes? I'm hoping to find something that will not break the bank, but still looks good. Even better if it's a quick disconnect, since I would only need it about once a month or once every other month.

Thanks!

Put your config in your sig so that others will know what options you got. Did you order the BUG (bed utility group) so that you'll have the bed rails?

porkie

Reaction score
I found two options. (1) Dethloff’s Contour rack but this is being re-engineered for 2019, and (2) Diamond Back cover. Both options aren’t inexpensive. But if you find one, I’m definitely interested.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was wondering a similar question does anybody know of any racks for the bed with ram boxes that would be able to support bike racks. Kind of like Thule roof racks for bikes but over the rambox and hardcove. If a certain brand hardcover also allowed those types of racks to run in their channels that might sway my brand choice

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

w0bbles

Reaction score
So I still haven't found an inexpensive solution.

Does anybody know the weight capacity of the bed rails for the Bed Utility Group? I'm thinking about purchasing that and then add some crossbars to it.

Reaction score
So I still haven't found an inexpensive solution.

Does anybody know the weight capacity of the bed rails for the Bed Utility Group? I'm thinking about purchasing that and then add some crossbars to it.

I have been pondering the same question and from what I have seen the rail system supports somewhere around 700lbs. Frontrunner makes a rack that hooks into it that looks well suited to a rooftop tent (for a 6’4” bed, but might be worth contacting them to see if they have a 5’7” option)

I also found this from nuthouse, this looks way sturdier, it is also more expensive.

SynAckuL

Reaction score
I've seen the Nutzo one crombenevolant mentions. Max Modular also makes utility bars that can be used for things like bikes, kayak saddles, baskets, etc.

I was looking at ordering my truck with the RamBoxes, but I really wanted an overland rack setup.

Reaction score
I've seen the Nutzo one crombenevolant mentions. Max Modular also makes utility bars that can be used for things like bikes, kayak saddles, baskets, etc.

I was looking at ordering my truck with the RamBoxes, but I really wanted an overland rack setup.

Unfortunately, Max Modular doesn’t work with RamBoxes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Varbar

Reaction score
I found two options. (1) Dethloff’s Contour rack but this is being re-engineered for 2019, and (2) Diamond Back cover. Both options aren’t inexpensive. But if you find one, I’m definitely interested.
This rack looks impressive online. I am glad I saw a picture of it with the RamBoxes open though. I was wanting to mount rotopax fuel cans or tools such as ax and shovel on the sides but that is not possible with the boxes since they open into the area where they would be mounted.

Fireclimb28

Reaction score
I’m also looking at purchasing a truck with the RAM Boxes, turns out the truck I’m looking at had rails to support this rack system:

Seems inexpensive compared to other options in this thread although it definitely won’t work for a rooftop tent system with the weight capacity at 150lbs. Just throwing it out there for those who don’t need the weight capacity.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m also looking at purchasing a truck with the RAM Boxes, turns out the truck I’m looking at had rails to support this rack system:

Seems inexpensive compared to other options in this thread although it definitely won’t work for a rooftop tent system with the weight capacity at 150lbs. Just throwing it out there for those who don’t need the weight capacity.
It's nice that it fits with RamBoxes, but I can't see it working with any tonneau covers.

O Captain My Captian

Reaction score
I am putting a deposit down for the contour rack. Marcus at Delhloff is telling me that they'll have 2020 fitment ready in about 6-8 weeks.
No pics as yet.

NewTruckWhoDis

Reaction score
I am putting a deposit down for the contour rack. Marcus at Delhloff is telling me that they'll have 2020 fitment ready in about 6-8 weeks.
No pics as yet.
I am very interested to see what the new fitment looks like.
If this German company (JB Car Design) mass produced this cage I would be all over it.

The Nutzo and Delhloff ones look nice, and very customizable, but this one is exactly what I would want.

Attachments

• ram-1500-limited-tuning-jb-car-design-10.jpg
    ram-1500-limited-tuning-jb-car-design-10.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 469
  • ram-1500-limited-tuning-jb-car-design-15.jpg
    ram-1500-limited-tuning-jb-car-design-15.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 470

O Captain My Captian

Reaction score
I am very interested to see what the new fitment looks like.
If this German company (JB Car Design) mass produced this cage I would be all over it.

The Nutzo and Delhloff ones look nice, and very customizable, but this one is exactly what I would want.
Send those pics to both. Given that they can customize things, I'm pretty sure they could build that for you.....for a reasonable price I'm sure.

O Captain My Captian

Reaction score
Ha, reasonable. That's a good one.

Might be worth a shot though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I had sent him photos of that truck.

From Marcus Dethloff:
“That is a neat looking rack! That said, it has entirely different design concepts in mind.
....Something like what is pictured would be a custom item that would need to ship in a massive freight crate and would negate all of the advantages of my rack with its removable crossbars, albeit it does look cool! This isn't something I would do.”

Last edited:

NewTruckWhoDis

Reaction score
Oh, wow, thanks for reaching out to them. Their answer makes sense too. I may just be stuck waiting to see if anyone makes more options for rambox trucks.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread