5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed load

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1000 pounds would be a HALF TON.:p

Lol, well, yes...it would be. But does that mean my math was right? I recognize how dense the question sounds. I have 5 different threads open from 5th gen currently. It seems to me like the take away is that payload gets eaten up quickly and I'd be better off getting a trailer and putting rock on it

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So am I reading my tire and loading sticker correct on this? Mine says combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 1337. Assuming me and a buddy go to pick up the rock and we weight around 337 combined for ease of math. If I'm going to get rock put in the bed, I couldn't put more than 1,000 pounds in the bed before maxing out. So less than 1/2 of a cubic yard.

Am I doing this right?

Your math is correct. This isn't to say that the truck is WAY more capable....(I have gone over 4K payload and my sticker says 1345) It is just what they put on the sticker for an abundance of liability and safety...

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Payload I am personally willing to go a little over if I'm not hauling a trailer, and it's short, slow distances. Pallet of sod, yard of dirt, bags of concrete, etc. Drive it 10-15 miles home slowly and carefully I've never had any issues. Payload and towing when I'm pulling something is another story. Too much weight on the hitch plus payload, and you're going to have a bad time.

By the way, this is what a yard of dirt looks like in a 6.5 foot bed. Either they tamped down the first yard or you got shorted on your 2.

Attachments

• 2020-05-22.jpg
    2020-05-22.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 32

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lol, well, yes...it would be. But does that mean my math was right? I recognize how dense the question sounds. I have 5 different threads open from 5th gen currently. It seems to me like the take away is that payload gets eaten up quickly and I'd be better off getting a trailer and putting rock on it
You really have to look at it all. Yes, in seriousness a trailer to haul the rock would be better. If you are going a short distance....a ton of stone should be able to be hauled in the bed.

Some places won't load anything over your payload, some places load until the tires bulge.

And the guy who says he had 2 ton in his truck, well guess he made it home.

You have to decide that. If you load too much and pull too much weight from the front...steering and braking will be adversely affected.

Good luck with your decision.

My opinion. One ton in a half ton is alot to ask of it. But, if this is one short trip home...it will handle it

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If the website below is accurate I have carried a yard of gravel numerous times in my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT quad cab with no real issues. It was local roads, approximately 5 mile trip and last time I did it was Oct 2019. I have no problem loading to this weight on occasion, won't do it on a daily basis. I have also moved 30 truck loads of dirt with 6-8 full sized wheel barrows in the bed, pretty much fills up the bed, again local road.

Once had a 78/79 Ford F150 full size bed loaded to the max with gravel - that almost caused a stroke, heart attack and a whole lot of anxiety. I'll pass on listening to the guy loading the gravel.

"In most cases, a cubic yard of gravel weighs between 2,400 to 2,900 pounds (1,088 to 1,315 kg). "

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ended up putting less than a half a yard, so around 600 pounds. Was more nervous about the load of rock raised above my truck, lol. Now I need to get gravel out of my rails and ram box crevices.

Users who are viewing this thread