5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed load

Reaction score
Well I hauled 2 yards of dirt about 15 miles in my bed yesterday and that was way too much! The suspension was bottomed out. Good thing that was a one time load.
2019 Laramie Quad cab 4wd

YellowSled

Reaction score
Well it sounds you severly overloaded it.
A cubic yard of dry fill dirt will weigh around 2,000 pounds. If it contains gravel, stone, and sand, the weight can rise to over 3,000 pounds. So you had over 4000lbs in your bed?

Reaction score
It was way to much! I only drove 30 mph hoping I didn't break anything.
It was pulverized so no rocks and it was really easy to shovel out.
I got a Dualliner bed protector for the job and it worked great.

Wlgtv

Reaction score
I’ll drop a yard max. But at $20 a day to rent a U-Haul trailer and 5 trips to the garden center At 2-3 yards each load it was totally Worth the daily rental cost. I’ll never put it in my bed again. Plus super easy to clean the trailer

thetalonguy

Reaction score
I remember I bought a used beater 02 Dakota SXT 3.9 with 160k+ miles to use for my home Reno/repairs vehicle. One project was filling in my drive way, which had grass between the concrete slabs, with rock stones.

Went to a landscaping place and asked them to just dump a load of rocks into my bed. Guy dumps it in my bed and the rear suspension nearly bottoms out. I had no idea of what my payload limits were at the time. Figured it was a truck, so it should haul whatever I can fit in the bed.

I started the truck up and drove like 10 feet and it stalled out. I was like oh $hit what did I just do. Started it back up and it ran reasonably fine for the 5-10 mile trip back home. Can’t believe I made it home. Can’t even fathom how much that load was; probably even way more than an HD could handle.

I definitely have a pic on one of my old phones somewhere.

rlc2020

Reaction score
It was a grand total of $20 more to have them deliver 3 yards then it would have been to make 2 trips with my own truck and have to shovel it out. I get free mulch from the dump myself, but not worth it for dirt/gravel. I am however going to pickup 10 railroad ties this week so that should be about 1800lbs. Curious as to how it will handle that.

Grayman5752

Reaction score
I put 1 ton of 3/4 river rock in mine this weekend. Made me glad I left a little bit of rake on my truck when I put my lift on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well I hauled 2 yards of dirt about 15 miles in my bed yesterday and that was way too much! The suspension was bottomed out. Good thing that was a one time load.
2019 Laramie Quad cab 4wd
Dang :oops: I wish you took a picture of it, that I would like to see.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had 4000 lbs of rock in the bed last year and with the air suspension it actually did quite well, since it leveled off with each scoop until it was over 2500 and then it tried but the rear was about 2 inches lower than the front.

pabla

Reaction score
I filled my limited with 2 yards of mushroom manure and it was pretty maxed out, I did get an error in the display saying the suspension can't auto level, but the truck wasn't squatting much. I believe I was just at the limit of 1500 lbs for my spec truck

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had 8 - 8!!!!!! 16 inch tires, all on rims.... at once... crazy amiright??

Sadly, That has been my most truck moment in this pandemic.... we traded out 2 cars for the ram and wrangler, and had to deliver the summer tires this week!

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So am I reading my tire and loading sticker correct on this? Mine says combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 1337. Assuming me and a buddy go to pick up the rock and we weight around 337 combined for ease of math. If I'm going to get rock put in the bed, I couldn't put more than 1,000 pounds in the bed before maxing out. So less than 1/2 of a cubic yard.

Am I doing this right?

Users who are viewing this thread