5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed length advice

scenicroute9

Reaction score
Hi everyone - new member here. I've been without a truck for a few years and after some test driving and convincing the wife that we need a truck, I've decided on a Ram. Based on local inventory (pacific nw), I'm going to be ordering a 2020 1500 limited crew cab (I like the blue/grey interior and it is super hard to find out here).

A search for advice (maybe not the right forum to add on a question?)

I'm a bit torn regarding bed length. I feel like the 6'4 bed is the best option for a truck - hauling plywood, landscape supplies, etc. But I really like the idea of the ram box. My dealer tells me the 6'4 rambox is an option on their order sheet, but its "restricted" at the moment. Based on searching it doesn't seem like the 6'4 ram box will be an option on the 2020 1500. I'm torn on whether to go short bed with rambox or 6'4 with no rambox.

Is it worth waiting to see if the 6'4 rambox becomes available?
Is the bigger bed worth omitting the rambox?
Is the rambox and shortbed a good combination? (I could also add the multi-function tailgate).

Thanks in advance for any advice!
-Brad

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone - new member here. I've been without a truck for a few years and after some test driving and convincing the wife that we need a truck, I've decided on a Ram. Based on local inventory (pacific nw), I'm going to be ordering a 2020 1500 limited crew cab (I like the blue/grey interior and it is super hard to find out here).

I'm a bit torn regarding bed length. I feel like the 6'4 bed is the best option for a truck - hauling plywood, landscape supplies, etc. But I really like the idea of the ram box. My dealer tells me the 6'4 rambox is an option on their order sheet, but its "restricted" at the moment. Based on searching it doesn't seem like the 6'4 ram box will be an option on the 2020 1500. I'm torn on whether to go short bed with rambox or 6'4 with no rambox.

Is the rambox and shortbed a good combination? (I could also add the multi-function tailgate).

-Brad
I’ve never had a short bed before, and my last two trucks were equipped with 6’-6” beds (other brands). Prior to ordering, I had decided that RamBoxes were a must-have option, as I’ve been impressed with their utility on my brother’s truck. I also don’t really use the bed that much, aside from hauling luggage and the occasional sheets of plywood or drywall.

When I’ve needed to do that, the bed has proved adequate; the only difference in the two bed lengths is that a full sheet overhangs past the tailgate slightly with the shorter bed, while it rests fully on the tailgate with the standard bed. Worth this small trade off, in my opinion.

Another consideration: this truck’s cab is so long that even with the short bed, it’s only 4” shorter than my old 3/4-ton crew cab with a standard bed. Something to keep in mind!

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got my truck with the 6'4" bed by accident. Yes that's right, I didn't even know. It didn't say anywhere on the build sheet and I just assumed it was the shorter bed.

At first I was a bit rattled but now that I have it I'm happy. I've hauled a few things and the extra 9" of bedspace came in handy. Multiple items just fit with the tailgate closed.
The ram box for me wasn't important because I don't have a lot of things to store. The ram has plenty of storage inside for tie down straps, jumper cables, and trailer hitch.

The truck is huge either way so pick whatever you think you would use more.

RJS

Reaction score
Just be sure it fits where you park it.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I thought the ramboxes were a great idea until I realized that if I ever installed a shell, I'd never be able to access them. I have no immediate plans to install a shell, but it's not beyond the realm of possibilities in the future. Sometimes the wind picks up so hard out in the desert that a tent is iffy and sleeping in the truck would be a nice option. Which brings up the second point: you can't stretch out in the short bed if you do choose to camp in it.

Which is why a 6'4" bed without ramboxes was a must-have when i went looking.

jkm312

Reaction score
Your answer lies in how you "think" you are going to use the truck at this point in time. That can change. What activities do you participate in? Open bed, or are you going to put a cover on even with the Ram Boxes? A crew cab and a 6'4" bed is a little longer than "normal." Will it fit where you live? Garages, parking places, parking ramps. It may stick out a little bit.

For me I use mine to pull the fishing boat with, and the home projects. I like the quad cab with the 6'4" bed. I can flip the back seats up and there is a lot of room for use on a mostly flat floor, if I don't want it in the bed, reason being security or weather issues. 8' lengths of sheet goods is not a problem with the tailgate down as long as you secure the load. If it is just a couple then they can rest on the top of the tailgate. 2x4's and larger, once they are past 10' can get pretty heavy on top of the tailgate if you have a lot to carry. At that point you are better off pulling a trailer. I'm not a contractor, but I have done some extensive remodeling over the years. You just have to accept the work arounds the shorter beds require.

Cptcoolie

Reaction score
I went for the short bed...but with the crew cab being so long, I do still find myself hunting for a parking space that I don't hang out of. If I had purchased this truck to be a work truck, I would have gone with the longer bed. But since, this is a travel truck that will occasionally be used to haul stuff, sometimes used to tow a travel trailer, but mostly used to as transportation, the short bed was the way to go for me.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I thought the ramboxes were a great idea until I realized that if I ever installed a shell, I'd never be able to access them. I have no immediate plans to install a shell, but it's not beyond the realm of possibilities in the future. Sometimes the wind picks up so hard out in the desert that a tent is iffy and sleeping in the truck would be a nice option. Which brings up the second point: you can't stretch out in the short bed if you do choose to camp in it.

Which is why a 6'4" bed without ramboxes was a must-have when i went looking.
The cap/RamBox conflict can be solved with a Topper EZLift, like this one. But that’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score

-Brad
I believe the 6'4" bed with Ram Box is still available in the "Classic" (4th gen) 1500, but if you're set on the 5th-gen 1500, you're stuck with the 5'7" box in order to get Ram Box. Are you sure that the "restricted 6'4" Ram Box" on your dealer's order screen is for the 5th-gen trucks, not the 4th-gen Classic?
I, too, would prefer the 6'4" bed with Ram Box, but I can't see myself waiting until if/when Ram decides to build the 5th-gen 1500 with 6'4" Ram Box. I don't know if it's true or not, but some have rumored that it's because the 5th-gen 1500s switched to molded plastic for the lids of the 2019 Ram Boxes, compared to the original Ram Box lids having a metal shell. Again, I don't know if that's true or not, but it would seem to make sense, because Ram is reportedly having a certain amount of trouble with the fitment of the lids of the 2019 5'7" Ram Boxes, so lengthening the all-plastic lids for the 6'4" bed would only make the fitment issues worse.

SzymiRam@2019

Reaction score

-Brad
Hi, I was in the same situation as you are. So i was thinking, since I am spending so much $$$ on the truck, then needs to be Crew Cab with 6.4’ bed. I just didn’t want to regret to go with short bed. So I got what I wanted.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score

-Brad
I have a 5’7 bed and my suggestion would be go 6’4. I regret not getting the longer bed. I almost exclusively use my truck for football tailgating and it’s tough to fit everything in the smaller bed with a cover on. If you are using it for work or hauling construction materials the short bed is too small. I personally am not a Rambox fan so that’s a judgement call. Just my 2 cents.

Jako

Reaction score
I agree with post #6 as far as "thinking". Original plan was a quad cab and long bed, but the crew cab back seat is pretty amazing for passengers. So it became a crew cab with a short bed. Live in NYC and CC and long bed would be a challenge to park and maneuver. No regrets in fact very happy with my choice. I have a 2001 Dodge 1500 quad cab and more things need to go in the bed. The 2019 makes placing things in the back a breeze. My tool boxes and buckets work out great between the floor and seat, particularly thankful on my "Costco food runs". The extra depth of the bed compensates somewhat for the shorter bed when it comes to loads of sand and such.
I was never involved in discussions back in the day when "short beds" came out. I'm sure the discussion had to be interesting and today I see very few 8' beds. Picked up a 1/2 dozen 12' 1 X 6s the other day which involved a little more time securing but no real problem.
The "short bed" can make you feel a little less secure in your capabilities but based on sales it does not have a big impact for most.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 5’7 bed and my suggestion would be go 6’4. I regret not getting the longer bed. I almost exclusively use my truck for football tailgating and it’s tough to fit everything in the smaller bed with a cover on. If you are using it for work or hauling construction materials the short bed is too small. I personally am not a Rambox fan so that’s a judgement call. Just my 2 cents.
It’s too bad you didn’t end up getting the two giant built-in coolers (RamBoxes) for tailgating! I’m looking forward to an opportunity to use them for this purpose...

Reactions: MJP

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
My short bed has 2” of clearance to park in the garage. That’s with a 5/8” sheet of plywood and a doubled piece of foam protecting the garage wall, with the ft grill just touching it. Obviously a 6’4” would be parked outside... Measure twice, park once!

Attachments

• BF147915-CE44-42D5-9B40-EC4741FF9423.jpeg
    BF147915-CE44-42D5-9B40-EC4741FF9423.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 149D5735-5CAD-4978-960E-7CD1E7AB5C88.jpeg
    149D5735-5CAD-4978-960E-7CD1E7AB5C88.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 43

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went with the 5'7" but now wish I had gone with the 6'4" length. I have a very deep garage so that wasn't an issue. I originally thought the truck would look too long being that it's a crew cab. I've needed to carry some items that were long and could have used the extra length.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I went with the 5'7" but now wish I had gone with the 6'4" length. I have a very deep garage so that wasn't an issue. I originally thought the truck would look too long being that it's a crew cab. I've needed to carry some items that were long and could have used the extra length.
I will say that there are some things - 16’ pieces of trim, for example - that I simply can’t consider carrying with a short bed. Gotta have them delivered or rent a trailer.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Depends how you are going to use the truck and I too thought about the long bed. In the end I went with the short bed for better ease of parking and it fits in my garage. I can haul 8' sheet goods and 2x4's fine, usually its only from the Home Depot 1 mile down the road. I haven't tried 12' boards yet but I think I could probably run them through the back window if needed.

Jako

Reaction score
Depends how you are going to use the truck and I too thought about the long bed. In the end I went with the short bed for better ease of parking and it fits in my garage. I can haul 8' sheet goods and 2x4's fine, usually its only from the Home Depot 1 mile down the road. I haven't tried 12' boards yet but I think I could probably run them through the back window if needed.
I just did 1/2 doz. 12' 1X6. I placed a board under them at the tailgate and tied the end of the boards "up" to my bed rails - worked fine. A heavy load of 2X12s might be another story, but even a 8' bed will have limitations. I've carried a few pieces of 20' 1/2" rebar off the side of my 2001 1500, along with a 20' 4" PVC and a 40' ladder (via tailgate down and cab). When there is a will there is a way along with some knot tying skills, but I am getting tired of the adventures.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I will say that there are some things - 16’ pieces of trim, for example - that I simply can’t consider carrying with a short bed. Gotta have them delivered or rent a trailer.
When the long loads aren't too heavy, I've been known to rest them up front between the right-side mirror and the cab (and lash the load to the mirror arm of course), put a short stake in the right rear stake pocket and bow the thin stuff inside the stake, then lash to the stake as well.
Another trick I've used, if the load bundle is small, is to recline the front passenger seat back, slide open the rear window, put a folded towel on the bottom of the open window frame and one on the seat pan of the reclined front passenger seat, stand in the bed and stab the trim in through the open rear window and down into the right front passenger footwell. The load will stick up a ways above the bed, but it's effectively along the longest usable diagonal of the vehicle, and sometimes it's just enough to stay confined within the footprint of the vehicle, i.e. not sticking out beyond the tailgate or the sides of the bed.
Neither way is ideal, but for long, light loads that can bend without damage, it can work if one is careful.

RamZone93

Reaction score
I saw a 2019 2500 with the MEGA Cab (bigger than the crew cab) and the 8 foot bed. That thing is insanely huge.

Users who are viewing this thread